NYC record store closing

TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Im two weeks late on this but passed by the other day to find out DANCE TRACKS closing its doors. Not sure if this is the best forum to post the news in but this was the place for House music. Actually for Deep house. Met some many heavy weights here, joe Claussel, darryl james, etc. Place had at atmosphere to it as well. With its urei mixer booth and two comfy couches , most of the tunes I bought here were ones that I heard spinning in the store. Alot of reissue loft and garage classics here that I dont think are sold anywhere else. Damn. this shit sucks.

Comments

• Try Dope Jams in Brooklyn, i think Claussell owns it.

http://www.dopejams.net/

They keep it well stocked.

• this is sad. dude's that ran it were very cool. they bought a lot of disco records from me. end of an era.

• but they still slang mp3's online right? I bought a few tracks from them...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive copped from them plenty of times but when the Club game diminished and Computers dominated, they have been on their last legs for minute.

They were up the Block from the my weekly gig back in the day, so i was always checkin them.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Try Dope Jams in Brooklyn, i think Claussell owns it.

not owned by Claussell but by two good friends.
    great shop all around... NYC folks need to make it out.
    On Myrtle Ave. at the Corner of Classon, right by Pratt

not only stocked w/ good house and dance classics stuff and run by the nicest crew of folk...

but also filled w/ great jazz LP's (at least 800 titles) + great international selection + good R&B/Soul bins + interesting $1 bin records in the summer.

Sucks that Dancetrax is closing. but it's been in the works for a minute now.

support local record shops!

PEACE

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Try Dope Jams in Brooklyn, i think Claussell owns it.

not owned by Claussell but by two good friends.
    great shop all around... NYC folks need to make it out.
    On Myrtle Ave. at the Corner of Classon, right by Pratt

not only stocked w/ good house and dance classics stuff and run by the nicest crew of folk...

but also filled w/ great jazz LP's (at least 800 titles) + great international selection + good R&B/Soul bins + interesting $1 bin records in the summer.

Sucks that Dancetrax is closing. but it's been in the works for a minute now.

support local record shops!

PEACE

i think we are going to see a future where stores like Dancetracks, Vinylmania, and Rock and Soul all die out and stores like Dope Jams, Good records, and the new TSL flourish...

basically, the paradigm has shifted from when those stores started... they were no longer neighborhood spots...

i think we are going to see a future where stores like Dancetracks, Vinylmania, and Rock and Soul all die out and stores like Dope Jams, Good records, and the new TSL flourish...

basically, the paradigm has shifted from when those stores started... they were no longer neighborhood spots...

But I'd still call DanceTrax a hood spot.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I'm not sure about the neighborhood status, since I'm not from that hood, but I would agree. I think any store that's mainly DJ-oriented will fade out, if it hasn't already. Stores like Good and TSL that traffic in used/raer/collectibles will be fine, as the digital age hasn't made them nearly obsolete like the DJ stores. People will always want to buy old vinyl on the collecting tip, whereas nearly every DJ I know jumped at the chance to make the switch to Microwave or other digital format, making the 12" single game a losing proposition for many stores.

I'm sure the days of Gramaphone (one of Chicago's oldest DJ stores) are numbered. As a former employee, it's kinda like my dad is very old and close to death. I know it's coming and I'm prepared, but it's going to really sad nonetheless.

• it's hard to support a local spot when since they no longer make money, they don't have a budget to buy new wax... I'd prefer to go this one shop that's right around my way. I used to go every couple a weeks or so only to find the same shit on the wall or some off the wall shit that I wouldn't even want. And I feel for them cause they're cool peeps. Whenever I step in the shop, since I'm usually the only one there they usually are very nice and try to help me out, but if they don't have the latest realease that I want then no, you guys can't help me... Very sad. I find myself ordering from labcabin, Dustys, etc. Or ordering/downloading mp3's more and more.

• It's hard for everyone out here, no matter how you slice it... more folks than ever (myself included) are competing for fewer and fewer customers... the Japanese market is in serious decline... and America is in a recession that we refuse to admit yet quietly are all feeling in the pocketbook.

In 2008, people either want records for $1 or $100... no middle ground. The writing's on the wall...

Whats that store that was on Smith St. in BK that was a Lounge/Record Store/Thrift Shop....? Halcyon maybe.

I though this was the future of vinyl shops - Coffee/Vinyl/Wireless intranetz.....

Or Sneakers/Rekkids/Haircut/Manicure/etc......

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

Or Sneakers/Rekkids/Haircut/Manicure/etc......

Thats in Utrecht.

• Whats that store that was on Smith St. in BK that was a Lounge/Record Store/Thrift Shop....? Halcyon maybe.

yup, Halcyon. They're still around, they moved to DUMBO. I go in occasionally and play records in the store. They are kinda struggling too, but their location isn't all that great cause not too many of the contemporary artist crowd that populates that hood is really into techno and house. Breakbeat Science just moved in with them after closing their Orchard St. location, so that's a little foreshadowing for the DnB set.

My boy is doing his best to keep fresh used records flowing in there to keep it going.

PS: Satellite finally closed recently as well, although they had been in death throes for a while, so no one really noticed except the employees.

Whats that store that was on Smith St. in BK that was a Lounge/Record Store/Thrift Shop....? Halcyon maybe.
    yup, Halcyon. They're still around, they moved to DUMBO. I go in occasionally and play records in the store. They are kinda struggling too, but their location isn't all that great cause not too many of the contemporary artist crowd that populates that hood is really into techno and house. Breakbeat Science just moved in with them after closing their Orchard St. location, so that's a little foreshadowing for the DnB set.

My boy is doing his best to keep fresh used records flowing in there to keep it going.
    PS: Satellite finally closed recently as well, although they had been in death throes for a while, so no one really noticed except the employees.