Ralph Bakshi appreciation

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Wizards is the sheeyat!Crazy old school, but the tricks and techniques are fresh! The animation on top of live footage that has been painted on - suh-weeet! Same dude who did the animated Lord of the Rings, no?Does the soundtrack for Wizards exist on vinyl or CD? And does anyone know where to find that old school computer font they use for the opening credits?

Comments

• Streetfight is the shit...

Still waiting for a dvd though...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    STREETFIGHT aka COONSKIN is most definitely a facemelter. Anybody who's into black cinema of the 70s or just crazy animation NEEDS to check this one out... did Barry White star in any other movies other than this one?

I also just watched Bakshi's HEAVY TRAFFIC recently and it's so filled with sex, violence, racial satire and stream-of-consciousness storytelling that it's hard to believe it had a national release back in the day. I can't see that sort of thing even being allowed in a theatre nowadays. Great flick.

WIZARDS was a definite childhood favorite of mine too. I don't think there was ever a soundtrack, but I do have a pretty cool lil 45 of the radio spots.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    did Barry White star in any other movies other than this one?

"Why Colors?"

• It's all about Tom Terrific[/b]

and the Mighty Heroes[/b]

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

WIZARDS was a definite childhood favorite of mine too. I don't think there was ever a soundtrack, but I do have a pretty cool lil 45 of the radio spots.

yeah, it was $10 at one of those Virgin DVD sales, couldn't pass it up. The interview with Bakshi is the shit too. He gets all into his style and what he had to do out of necessity, and why it ended up being better than he imagined. Tres kool...

no thoughts on this font though?

it looks hand drawn on this frame, but it's also on the opening and ending credits.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I don't think there was ever a soundtrack, but I do have a pretty cool lil 45 of the radio spots.
    Any music from the film on there? Where did you find that one? Info please!!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I don't think there was ever a soundtrack, but I do have a pretty cool lil 45 of the radio spots.
    Any music from the film on there? Where did you find that one? Info please!!!

It's actually a pretty average radio spot unfortunately, and as I recall the music was just "dramatic" library stuff, not from the movie. I got it from a storehouse of several thousand original film posters and memoribilia I bought from some old dude in Durham about 7 years ago.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    [quoteIt's actually a pretty average radio spot unfortunately, and as I recall the music was just dramatic library stuff, not from the movie. I got it from a storehouse of several thousand original film posters and memoribilia I bought from some old dude in Durham about 7 years ago. Thanks

That font is called Westminster y'all

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

That font is called Westminster y'all

double thanks...