Am I Black Enough For You Appreciation (SDR)

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hearing this album for the first time right now, and it sounds real good. Is this considered a classic by anyone? The grimy yet concious lyrics are real entertaining, and the beats are well produced. I like the loose airy style. Kinda reminds me of the wild style instrumentals album.

Comments

• And here I was thinking this thread was about the Billy Paul song!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I remember being let down by this one when it came out.
    I dug the title track but the rest not so much.
    Saturday Night on the other had was my jam, I still rate that album
    as one of my very favorite from that era.
    I'd like to revisit Am I Black Enough For You to see what it
    sounds like almost 20 years later.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Schooly d definitely a fave of mine although i prefer "Saturday night the album" this got many spins round my house.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    And here I was thinking this thread was about the Billy Paul song Harvey Canal!

• And here I was thinking this thread was about the Billy Paul song Harvey Canal!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Is this considered a classic by anyone?

Nah

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RZB0Z9SDL._AA240_.jpg>http://blog.diskunion.net/user/kurojiru/kurojiru/image/8249.jpg" width="240" height="240" alt="" />

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

. Is this considered a classic by anyone? .
    i think this and saturday were both great albums, never was that big on smoke some kill though (the lp, the title track was dope though)

• i bought it when it came out, and enjoyed it. But it did feel sorta heavy handed - this sort of sudden "im totally black conciousness now" thing. every title (or almost every) had the word "black" in it, and the lyrics were really junior high in places. and this was from the guy who was basically the total gangsta originator, and had previously rapped "black is beautiful, brown is (i forget), yellows ok but white aint shit. Im not a racist, or a fanatic.." (?!?) its like, thats some funny stuff, and i totally have always admired his bluntness to the point of not really making sense, but it was therefore hard to take the guy very seriously as far as knowing what hes talking about outside the world of the street corner. (...UNTIL i got "welcome to america", which sounded like he got his message back together, and which i thought was really effective and dark.) Schooly D rules, but hes had some rough transitions.

• Hearing this album for the first time right now, and it sounds real good. Is this considered a classic by anyone? The grimy yet concious lyrics are real entertaining, and the beats are well produced. I like the loose airy style. Kinda reminds me of the wild style instrumentals album.

I think this is the only (90's) Schooly D album I dont have, I heard it back in the day and wasnt too keen on it to be honest.
    That said when I see a cheapie I will pick it up and give it another listen.

I was only thinking about Schooly today as I just copped Schooly D / Welcome to America.

Not sure waht to make of it really. Some of the beats are nice but Schooly sounds a bit out of place on them, just not his style.

• Dope Sheeeet !!!

+ =

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Id rate it somewhere between saturday night the album and the aqua teen hunger force song.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I always liked hearing it...at other peoples' houses, in other peoples' cars, at record stores, etc...but never bothered to pick up a copy for my own.

• And here I was thinking this thread was about the Billy Paul song!

me too, because I used to play that 45 like crazy and then filed it away...just pulled it back out this weekend!