Top 5 dollar-bin rock LPs

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Blue Oyster Cult-Tyranny and MutationAlice Cooper-Love It to DeathAC/DC-Let There Be rockZZ Top-Tres HombresCheap Trick-In ColorI like knowing that if I ever lose, or fuck up these records, I can go out with a few bucks and come back soon after with these gems...unfukwitable

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Joe Jackson - Look Sharp
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
    Zebra - Zebra

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Of we could do it like this...

The Best of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    The Best of Jethro Tull
    The Best of America
    The Best of the Guess Who
    The Best of Steppenwolf

• Too many Raiders, Ventures and Kingsmen elpees to count!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Blue Oyster Cult-Tyranny and Mutation
    Alice Cooper-Love It to Death
    AC/DC-Let There Be rock
    ZZ Top-Tres Hombres
    Cheap Trick-In Color

I like knowing that if I ever lose, or fuck up these records, I can go out with a few bucks and come back soon after with these gems...unfukwitable

Alice Cooper-Killer
    Steve Miller Band-Book of Dreams
    AC/DC-Highway To Hell
    Cheap Trick-Live at Budokan
    The Who-Who's Next

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is tough... first 5 that come to mind...

McCartney: Ram
    Beach Boys: Surfs Up
    Neil Young: Everybody Knows
    Grateful Dead: Workingman's Dead
    Bowie: Hunky Dory

• Too many Raiders, Ventures, Creedence Clearwater Revival[/b], Monkees[/b] and Kingsmen elpees to count!

But once you get those guys out the way (because they really do "run it" as far as quality cheap rock LP's go)...

- Boogie With Canned Heat
    - Child Is Father To The Man, Blood, Sweat & Tears
    - A Long Time Coming, Electric Flag
    - The 1969 Warner-Reprise Songbook
    - Thin Red Line, Cretones

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    B.O.C "Some Enchanted Evening" (anything by them is cheap and great listening, though)
    Traffic "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" (same here)
    Keef Hartley's "Overdog"
    Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors"
    The American Breed "Bend Me, Shape Me"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Just for the record. Dollarbin = a bin full of records that cost $1.00 each.

I think all this stuff can be found in a dollar bin if you look hard enough... maybe not in the best condition, but still.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

Not a single one of these records sell for a dollar at any reputable store. Maybe at a yard sale or a junk shop (though everyone thinks the Beatles should sell for $50)

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh boy. these threads are always good for a chuckle.
    whos gonna post astral weeks?

Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

Not a single one of these records sell for a dollar at any reputable store. Maybe at a yard sale or a junk shop (though everyone thinks the Beatles should sell for $50)

I'll take care of this one since Kala can only post once a day now...

KKKUNT

PUSTULE

MAGGOT

astral weeks

Can definitely be found for a dollar.

• astral weeks

Sure, WB 80s label and/or VG condition. Are we saying clean originals, or just any old shit?

some I haven't seen mentioned:

Neil Young "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"
    AC/DC "Back In Black"
    Led Zeppelin III
    Cold Blood S/T
    Pink Floyd "Wish you Were Here"

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

KKKUNT

PUSTULE

MAGGOT

wrong

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

KKKUNT

PUSTULE

MAGGOT

wrong

dik cheezer

astral weeks

Sure, WB 80s label and/or VG condition. Are we saying clean originals, or just any old shit?

Well, I'm definitely not calling it a "dollar bin" record. But I find a nice early press at least once a year.

DON HRATE BE CRAUSE I'M BRUTIFUW

• No, I hear you - I find it too. NORCAL GRIP-N-FLIP CLASSIC

Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

KKKUNT

PUSTULE

MAGGOT

wrong

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    astral weeks

But it is not a rock LP

• astral weeks

When you're dealing with an album like Astral Weeks that has never gone out of print, does it matter?

• As far as sale value, yeah - obviously not when it comes to musical merit.

• Beggars Banquet
    Black Sabbath
    Electric Ladyland
    Disraeli Gears
    Revolver

Not a single one of these records sell for a dollar at any reputable store. Maybe at a yard sale or a junk shop

a) Either way, does it matter?

b) All five of these artists were big sellers in their day, and I've definitely seen these covers staring back at me from cheap used bins in stores, thrift shops and yard sales alike. Nothing rare or raer or whatever y'all call it here.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    astral weeks

When you're dealing with an album like Astral Weeks that has never gone out of print, does it matter?

i guess its just me. ive never seen this record.
    and its got some rock moves.

astral weeks

i guess its just me. ive never seen this record.

Seriously? Where do you live, Croatia?

• When you're dealing with an album like Astral Weeks that has never gone out of print, does it matter?

As far as sale value, yeah - obviously not when it comes to musical merit.

Even so, when you're dealing with a catalogue staple like Van Morrison, "sale value" is so beside the point. Save the "sale value" for somebody marginal like the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or something. (smile) Seriously. I've seen quite a few Van Morrison LP's on Warners in cheap racks, and Astral Weeks was one of them.

• I'm not arguing with you dude! I find that record for cheap EVERYWHERE. But as far as RECORD COLLECTING goes, finding a MINT ORIGINAL of that LP is a bit tougher than later issues.

As far as sale value, yeah - obviously not when it comes to musical merit.

Even so, when you're dealing with a catalogue staple like Van Morrison, "sale value" is so beside the point. Save the "sale value" for somebody marginal like the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or something. (smile) Seriously. I've seen quite a few Van Morrison LP's on Warners in cheap racks, and Astral Weeks was one of them.

It's a big difference. The first press with the warner 7 arts logo actually gets some real money... and the orange label UK press is like 300 bucks or something.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just for clarification sake. I am saying that those records in good condition sell for $4-8. Dollar bin in my mind is stuff that, even in mint, will never get more than 8 bits, you know Hall and Oates or Emmylou Harris joints. Perhaps, I making to fine a point but I doubt seriously anyone here is selling a good condition revolver for a buck. The market certainly bears more.