HOW TO BEHAVE AT YOUR COMPANY XMAS PARTY?

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
mine's tonight. any suggestions?what are some of your best and worst holiday party experiences?how drunk is too drunk?is it inappropriate to hit on the hired help?(under my recommendation, we hired brittney k to tend the bar - http://www.beautifulbartenders.com/lafemmodel.htmlhow does one behave around a drunken superior?* Fixed URL

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    how drunk is too drunk?

If the drinks are free then there is no "too drunk".

• kubkub 46 Posts
    you should have hired Brianna B

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    how drunk is too drunk?

If you value your employment, any drunk is too drunk.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    When the boss's wife starts looking hot and you think she's flirting with you stop drinking.

When the boss's wife starts looking hot and you think she's flirting with you stop drinking.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mine is tonight @ the Four Seasons Restaurant.........

im going home.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I skipped the E! Holiday party a couple days back at the Sony Studios.

only thing I missed was hanging out with snoop (which would of sucked in sobriety anyways) and Frickin' this one dudes secretary.

in the morning I had no hangover and unlike last year I didn't end up on the roof of my folks house at the end of the night

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Depends where you work.

Service industry? There is no too drunk.

Office Job? Don't get drunk.

• (under my recommendation, we hired brittney k to tend the bar - http://www.beautifulbartenders.com/lafemmodel.html)

Brianna C, Camilla, Miriam I, Hillary C or JoJo all woulda been better choices.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

trust me. trying to pick just one out of that bunch was one of the most difficult things i've ever had to do at work.

thanks for the suggestions.
    i don't see how staying completely sober will be an option - open bar means i'm drinking; cab vouchers means i'll be too drunk to drive - but i'll try to stay away from hitting on the boss's wife or puking in one of the edit rooms

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

(under my recommendation, we hired brittney k to tend the bar - http://www.beautifulbartenders.com/lafemmodel.html)

Brianna C, Camilla, Miriam I, Hillary C or JoJo all woulda been better choices.

JoJo's my top choice... okay, back to work.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Service industry? There is no too drunk.

Ain't that the truth.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how drunk is too drunk?

Crink sounds self-employed.

In and out is the way to handle these things. Stop by for a drink and then bounce. If you start feeling like these people are your friends, then you've had too much to drink and it's time to go.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

trust me. trying to pick just one out of that bunch was one of the most difficult things i've ever had to do at work.

thanks for the suggestions.
    i don't see how staying completely sober will be an option - open bar means i'm drinking; cab vouchers means i'll be too drunk to drive - but i'll try to stay away from hitting on the boss's wife or puking in one of the edit rooms

open bar and cab vouchers? Are the vouchers given to you by your company? If yes, then it's like they're ASKING you to get trashed and start wilin' out.

if you ask me. But it's their party.

I say turn it up to 11 (see Spinal Tap thread) and let them sort out the aftermath.

how drunk is too drunk?

Crink sounds self-employed.

True.... and I usually refrain from drinking at the Missusses company parties.

I've had one job where the company sprang for an open bar xmas party. The story involves scores of ants eating my lethally alcoholic vomit and dying.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    If you start feeling like these people are your friends, then you've had too much to drink and it's time to go.

This is a wise man right here.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The trick is to get your boss so drunk that he has no idea that you are boning his wife. Then punch him, just to be mean about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Don't be shy about humping every remotely attractive woman. Also, be sure to tell your co-workers what you really think of them, loudy and explicitly.

On the real, faux_rillz has it right. It's not a bad idea to make an appearance and have some quick face-time with people it would be good to impress, but hit the Eject button early.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    hit the Eject button early.
    yes. you do not want to be the subject of the office "did you see who passed out in the bathroom stall" talk. Not that I would know about that.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    yes. you do not want to be the subject of the office "did you see who passed out in the bathroom stall" talk. Not that I would know about that.

We had our xmas party last year at the submarine base here at point loma. by the party was a climbing rope. For whatever reason there was a few army soldiers hanging out there, and this one female soldier climbs the rope and makes it look super easy. So one of our admin assistants, this tough little lady that used to be in the army was like "I could do that." She was super drunk though, so we all whipped out the camera phones. She stepped up to the rope, grabbed it, swayed from side to side a few times and then fell over in to a fence. I mean, her feet didn't even leave the ground and she fell over. It was hilarious.

We still talk about it.

This year's party is at a different location. No rope.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

not in my vocabulary
    plus i want to think of my co-workers not only as friends, but, as family

So I had a startup right out of college and it was our practice to hire Santa Clara students as interns for course credit. At the peak of the company we had 10 of the hottest college girls working for us as interns. Good times. Well, we threw a holiday party in SF one year. We rented one of those van/limo type things to cart everyone up for a nice dinner and then an evening at the bars. Well, one of the other founders of the company hooked up with one of the interns, not knowing that another male intern was totally in love with this girl. It turns into a huge debachle and the next Monday we had to have a founders meeting just to discuss policy on hooking up with interns! Sadly, it was decided we couldn't

• It turns into a huge debachle and the next Monday we had to have a founders meeting just to discuss policy on hooking up with interns! Sadly, it was decided we couldn't

^^^ CLEARLY HAD NO PULL AMONG THE OTHER FOUNDERS ^^^^

It turns into a huge debachle and the next Monday we had to have a founders meeting just to discuss policy on hooking up with interns! Sadly, it was decided we couldn't

^^^ CLEARLY HAD NO PULL AMONG THE OTHER FOUNDERS ^^^^

Yeah, well one of them was a born again so it was pretty much a lost cause.

• In and out is the way to handle these things. Stop by for a drink and then bounce. If you start feeling like these people are your friends, then you've had too much to drink and it's time to go.

I have to agree.. I might have a few drinks and then bounce... even if you are friends with them... my boss is one of the coolest dudes I know, but he never drinks... the last thing I want is for my credibility to slip cause I don't know how to handle my self at a BUSINESS function

• go naked.

• mine's tonight. any suggestions?

ask everyone to "choose sides" in the "War on Christmas" and then just duke it out.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    If you start feeling like these people are your friends, then you've had too much to drink and it's time to go.

This is a wise man right here.

You really don't like the people at your work?? I feel sorry for you guys. I reguarly go out with the cats i work with and we all get along pretty good. I find working hospitality and retail that you bond pretty good with the crew you work with. My christmas party is next wednesday im gettin drunk...but holding back a little. At least until the owner leaves!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    the definition of "too drunk" depends where you work and what your boss is like. Because a) my boss is cool, and b) my boss was drinking far more than anyone else except me, i had 5-6 drinks at my work chirstmas function and had a great time and there was no post-party fall out. if anythign, my boss probably likes me even more now (no homo).

• Hillary for the win. My god, she's amazing!

Personally I think any workplace cool with hiring a stupidly hot bartender is probably a little more open to some drinking. I myself don't ever get smashed on booze, let alone around work people, so the only reason I'd be there would be to talk to one of those bar broads. Even though I think it's a bit creepy that such a service exists...