Spinal Tap lyrics appreciation

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i heard my co-worker humming Big Bottom and i bugged out. then i remembered the lyrics in my head and could not stop laughing to myself. it's brilliantThe bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushinThat's what I said.The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksandOr so I have read.My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo.I love to sink her with my pink torpedo.Big bottomBig bottomTalk about bum cakes,My gal's got 'em.Big bottom,Drive me out of my mind.How can I leave this behind?I saw her on monday, twas my lucky bun dayYou know what I mean.I love her each weekday, each velvety cheekdayYou know what I mean.My love gun's loaded and she's in my sightsBig game's waiting there inside her tightsBig bottomBig bottomTalk about mud flapsMy gal's got 'em.Big bottomDrive me out of my mind.How can I leave this behind?also the lyrics to Sex Farm are hysterical as wellWorking on a sex farmWolfing down some cornbread i think i need to watch this movie again soon for the 50th time

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How can I leave this behind?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I was hoping that they would have gone on in the film to reveal some the lyrics to "Lick My Lovepump." Especially since it's in the saddest of all keys.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    also the lyrics to Sex Farm are hysterical as well

Working on a sex farm
    Wolfing down some cornbread

PLOWIN' THRU YER FIELDS

POKIN' YER HAY

I actually get this song stuck in my head sometimes.

• I was hoping that they would have gone on in the film to reveal some the lyrics to "Lick My Lovepump." Especially since it's in the saddest of all keys.

dude, it's an instrumental.

simple lines intertwining.

I was hoping that they would have gone on in the film to reveal some the lyrics to "Lick My Lovepump." Especially since it's in the saddest of all keys.

dude, it's an instrumental.

simple lines intertwining.

Yeah, I know. more of a "Mach" piece. With that title I was hoping for at least a spoken word section where Nigel reads a poem or something?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" is my favorite Spinal Tap song:

"You're sweet but you're just four feet
    And you still got your baby teeth
    You're too young and I'm too well hung
    Tonight I'm gonna rock you
    Tonight!"

One of the funniest movies ever...

One of the funniest movies ever...

It's also one of those rare movies that is just as funny the 50th time you watch it as the first.

"Bobbi Fleckman, The Hostess with the Mostest....."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Two Words:P>

JAZZ ODYSSEY/FONT>

We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

"I have tapes of celebrities reading classic works of literature. I have the works of Washington Irving done by someone named Dr. Julius Erving...."

"Cmon, Hurry up, Mime is Money!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i think i need to watch this movie again soon for the 50th time

It's been a minute since I last saw it. I'm surprised I'm not going through withdrawls by now.

Pretty much all their lyrics are Frickin' hilarious, but "Sex Farm" always made me laugh just a little bit harder than the others. They perfectly captured ham-fisted metal double entendres.

"Scratching in your henhouse
    Sniffing at your feedbag
    Slipping out your back door
    Leaving my spray"

"Hosing down your barn door
    Bothering your livestock
    They know what I need"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Derek: "We???ve taken a sophisticated view of sex...."
    DiBergi: "And put it on a farm?"
    Derek: "Yeah."

Not a lyric, but the shit where Nigel is doing is ultra-wank solo, grabs a violin, uses it as a bow on his guitar, and then tunes the violin mid-solo is so goddamn funny, I almost can't stand it. Jimmy Page is a piker, yo!

• my fav:

Marty: "Your first drummer was, uh?"
    David: "John Stumpy Peeps. Great, great, tall blonde geek with glasses. Uh..."
    Nigel: "Good drummer."
    David: "Great look, good drummer, yeah."
    Nigel: "Good, good, drummer"
    David: "Yeah, fine drummer."
    Marty: "What happened to him?"
    David: "He died. He died in a bizarre gardening accident some years back."
    Nigel: "It was really one of those things. You know, the authorities said, you know, best leave it, you know..."
    David: "It's not talked about..."
    Nigel: "...unsolved, you know."
    Marty: "And he was replaced by?"
    David: "Stumpy Joe. Eric 'Stumpy Joe' Chiles"
    Nigel: "Eric Chiles."
    Marty: "And what happened to Stumpy Joe?"
    Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer): "Well, it's not a very pleasant story, but uh..."
    David: "He's passed on."
    Derek: "He died-- He choked on-- The ac-- The official explaination was, he choked on vomit. He past away."
    Nigel: "It was actually someone else's vomit."
    David: "It was ugly."
    Nigel: "You know, there's no real..."
    Derek: "Well, they can't prove whose vomit it was. They never-- They don't have facilities in Scotland Yard to..."
    Nigel: "You can't really dust for vomit."

"I have tapes of celebrities reading classic works of literature. I have the works of Washington Irving done by someone named Dr. Julius Erving...."

You messed it up a little bit. It's a series of tapes of works by an author read by a person with the same name.

"I have the works of Washington Irving read by someone named Dr. J" Rob Reiner then explains that that makes sense because Dr. J's real last name is Irving.

Not a lyric, but the shit where Nigel is doing is ultra-wank solo, grabs a violin, uses it as a bow on his guitar, and then tunes the violin mid-solo is so goddamn funny, I almost can't stand it. Jimmy Page is a piker, yo!

That and the part where he falls on back mid-solo and the roadie kid picks him back up STILL SOLOING.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    A fun game to play is "what Rockumentary are they parodying?". I have heard that there is a similar scene to Nigel's green room sandwhich rant in Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. Can anyone confirm?

My favorite scene might be them singing Heartbreak Hotel at Elvis' grave. They can't believe they were allowed to do that.

I'm surprised that no one's pointed out Nigel's mean shoe game in this pic. I'd rock those!

• The fact that Msrs. Smalls, Tufnel, and St. Hubbins all play bass on 'Big Bottom' is the icing on the cake.

Two Words: Shit Sandwich.

The fact that Msrs. Smalls, Tufnel, and St. Hubbins all play bass on 'Big Bottom' is the icing on the cake.

I know! I didn't notice that until the second or third time I saw it.

and a big on the Elvis scene. So funny.

• Not a lyric, but the shit where Nigel is doing is ultra-wank solo, grabs a violin, uses it as a bow on his guitar, and then tunes the violin mid-solo is so goddamn funny, I almost can't stand it. Jimmy Page is a piker, yo!

That and the part where he falls on back mid-solo and the roadie kid picks him back up STILL SOLOING.

the violin and the roadie part kill me too. i also love nigel's facial expression in the "(listen to the) flower people" video during the guitar solo.

The fact that Msrs. Smalls, Tufnel, and St. Hubbins all play bass on 'Big Bottom' is the icing on the cake.

I also love the fact that Derek Smalls has this ostentatious double-necked bass in order to play a super-simple bassline. Now that's some wry rock-n-roll excess.

the violin and the roadie part kill me too. i also love nigel's facial expression in the "(listen to the) flower people" video during the guitar solo.

"We love You...."

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

You missed out Viv Savage on bass synthesizer.

Oh shit, I'd never seen the whole video before. Just got it on DVD this year, must be on there?

• In ancient times, hundreds of years before the
    dawn of history.
    There lived a strange race of people...the Druids.
    No one knows who they were, or what they were doing...

• Not a lyric, but the shit where Nigel is doing is ultra-wank solo, grabs a violin, uses it as a bow on his guitar, and then tunes the violin mid-solo is so goddamn funny, I almost can't stand it. Jimmy Page is a piker, yo!

Oh shit, I'd never seen the whole video before. Just got it on DVD this year, must be on there?

it must be. do you have the dvd where they are commentating in character? i think that has all the music videos on there. all the deleted scenes are pretty good too. my favorite is when they get bruno kirby high and then it cuts to him in his tighty whiteys singing frank sinatra "my way" and using a pizza crrust as a mic. so Frickin' funny

RIP bruno kirby : (