The Shangri-Las yay or nay? (girl group related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i say yay. super cheesy and melodramatic but kinda dark and morbid and full of drag-racing james deanish deaths and running away from home with the leather jacket dude stories. i can get with that. "he cried" = lynchianBEST WHITE GIRLS EVER!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    full of drag-racing janes deanish deaths

Sophisticated femme play on words?
    They're ok, but there are tons of girl groups that kick their ass musically.

• of course! but i think they deserve some recognition for veiling dark & subversive content in a commercial bubbly teeny bopper light.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hell YAY!

"Out in the Streets" = GENIUS

How about these gems:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    of course! but i think they deserve some recognition for veiling dark & subversive content in a commercial bubbly teeny bopper light.

Intriguing. I already sold the record long ago, I'll have to surrriously check it out next time around.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yay!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    havent heard, but i love

drag-racing james deanish deaths and running away from home with the leather jacket dude stories.

so i want to hear more!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hell YAY!

• That album that Mary Weiss (Shangri-Las lead singer) released earlier this year is insanely good. (And nothing to do with nothing, but she's still fine-looking...)

Like who?

Name some names, because the girl-group genre can be really sappy, so it's not too hard to hear why most people rate the Shangs so high.

(And I wouldn't count the more soulish groups like the Supremes or the Marvellettes, they're almost off into a whole 'nother genre.)

• That album that Mary Weiss (Shangri-Las lead singer) released earlier this year is insanely good. (And nothing to do with nothing, but she's still fine-looking...)

Like who?

Name some names, because the girl-group genre can be really sappy, so it's not too hard to hear why most people rate the Shangs so high.

(And I wouldn't count the more soulish groups like the Supremes or the Marvellettes, they're almost off into a whole 'nother genre.)

man, I cant stand that new Mary Weiss LP...girl CANT sing...and Ill take the Goodies version of "Sophisticated Boom Boom"...I dont know, I dont like Mary's voice, never did...Shangri-La's never did anything for me...cant ride. I think the Ronettes and Crystals are way better...

• BIG YAY

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Yay.

And while I love the Ronnettes & Crystals, Phil Spector could make ME sound good singing and I can't sing a lick.

• Yay.

And while I love the Ronnettes & Crystals, Phil Spector could make ME sound good singing and I can't sing a lick.

See, that's the thing - for the longest time I couldn't tell the Crystals and Ronettes apart because they both had that same bombastic Phil Spector production job! When Ronnie Spector plays live gigs, I'll bet you dollars to donuts she gets requests for "Da Doo Ron Ron"!

At least Shadow Morton kept the sound basic enough for the Shangri-Las' own personalities to shine through. The Ronettes and the Crystals were interchangeable, but you'd NEVER confuse the Shangri-Las with, say, the Jelly Beans...

(BTW, not that I hate Phil Spector's girl group records, but his Xmas album is way overrated, to these ears...)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i say yay. super cheesy and melodramatic but kinda dark and morbid and full of drag-racing james deanish deaths and running away from home with the leather jacket dude stories. i can get with that. "he cried" = lynchian

BEST WHITE GIRLS EVER!

YAY YAY YAY

Shangri-Las are great, period.

'Sophisticated Boom Boom' is MY SHIT.