i don't think i like the Four Tops

2»

Comments

• sometimes i feel like levi stubbs is actually my favorite motown singer...

For the longest time I wasn't feeling the Tops either, it wasn't until I gave the MacArthur Park a listen through that I went back and revited their older tracks with appreciation.

honestly "I Can't Help Myself" is sacharine(sp?).

Yet, of all Four Tops songs, you like "MacArthur Park"???

And then turn around and call "I Can't Help Myself" saccharine?

But yes Stubbs had a hell of a voice.

But it wasn't the best

I'd put Stubbs and Ruffin about equal. These were two men who knew how to beg and still sound tough at the same time.

In one corner there's Ruffin, jumping all up in your shit: I KNOW you want to leave me, but I REFUSE to let you go... But then on the other side of the room there's Stubbs: Now doesn't your conscience kinda bother you? HOW CAN YOU WATCH ME CRY AFTER ALL I'VE DONE FOR YOU? HOLD ON A MINUTE!

If they'd turned either of these guys loose at Muscle Shoals, they woulda tore shit up and gave James Carr a run for the money. I'd call it a draw.

• and thats not to say i don't agree that the four tops were at the bottom of the motown totem pole, but their competition was fuckin' marvin gaye, stevie wonder and the temptations! never mind label-mates, not many artists in general can fuck with that line-up.

dude, i'd put the four tops IN that lineup.

this isn't bobby taylor & the vancouvers were talking about here, this is the FOUR TOPS. they dont shrink next to marvin, stevie and the tempts; they hold their own.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and thats not to say i don't agree that the four tops were at the bottom of the motown totem pole, but their competition was fuckin' marvin gaye, stevie wonder and the temptations! never mind label-mates, not many artists in general can fuck with that line-up.

this isn't bobby taylor & the vancouvers were talking about here, this is the FOUR TOPS. they dont shrink next to marvin, stevie and the tempts; they hold their own.

Remember the Motown 25 Battle?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah but automatically doesn't count because he beat his women :eyeroll ike turner thread eyeroll:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    and thats not to say i don't agree that the four tops were at the bottom of the motown totem pole, but their competition was fuckin' marvin gaye, stevie wonder and the temptations! never mind label-mates, not many artists in general can fuck with that line-up.

Thank You

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    THE 4 TOPS > BOSCOE

• Plus, honestly being the "worst" group on Motown isn't all that bad really when you think about. They just had some amazing talent.

So Diana Ross is better than Levi Stubbs?!?

I can't think it thru completley right now so I don't know if they are the weakest but it's certainly possible...

Well, think it through some more. Any group that had a singer who could beg and testify as good as Stubbs can hardly be considered a weak link. Matter of opinion and all that, but no one who can sing as good as the Tops should take a back seat to the thin-sounding Supremes (who I like, but when you imply that the Tops are weak links, I just wanna say...compared to whom?).

either I didn't express myself clearly or you misinterpeted I think. I like the Four Tops. My point was that no matter who you consider the weak link on Motown that is the worst comment in the world. I actually would prefer Four Tops to Diana Ross. I just didn't have a complete Motown discography in front me to really say who I think the "weakest" on the label is.

Just scanned the motown page on discogs.com and I would say, gF all the biggest stars I probably listen and play Diana Ross the least it looks like...

Somewhat unrelated, I also noticed a few Motown things that I can't remember or don't know. I probably need to check a few of those out....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just spent an hour making a mix of Four Tops 45s Heat but then just found out there is a fault with the headphones out of my girlfriend's mixer that causes the signal to the computer to drop in & out & randomly hum, totally screwing most of the songs. I hate Numark.

Here would have been the tracklist, by no means all my Four Tops 45s, but definitely some great stuff that was nice to listen to again anyways.

Standing In The Shadows Of Love
    Bernadette
    Since You've Been Gone
    I Got A Feeling
    You Keep Running Away
    It's The Same Old Song
    Walk Away Renee
    Don't Bring Back Memories
    I'm A Believer
    What Is A Man
    Reach Out I'll Be There
    Something About You
    I Wish I Were Your Mirror
    Your Love Is Wonderful
    I'll Never Change
    Are You Man Enough
    One Chain Don't Make No Prison
    Peace Of Mind
    Turn On The Light Of Your Love

• Does it really take 3 pages for a man to come in and drop "I can't quit your love" off their Nature Planned it LP?
    Drop that on my melon everyday.