obama's comeback

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The Clinton Camp have taken some pretty harsh shots that may hurt him......first the really sleazy ploy of announcing "We have this incredible dirt on Barack but we're not going to lower ourselves to divulge what it is".....which in reality does worse damage than just coming out and saying what the dirt is....and now they are playing up the "Barack took drugs" card.....I think it sucks.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

The Clinton Camp have taken some pretty harsh shots that may hurt him....and now they are playing up the "Barack took drugs" card.....I think it sucks.

How ironic, considering the source!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Obama is the only option.

• I will vote for whoever the Dems nominate, but I think Obama is a lot more "electable" in a general election than Hillary. I just hope whoever they go with shows some Frickin' balls when they go up against the Republican nominee, unlike Kerry's soul-sucking, limp fish campaign in '04.

• I will vote for whoever the Dems nominate

No way. Hillary is unbearable. Edwards has good ideas, but I don't see him leading the country. The rest -- who are they?

I'll write in Obama if need be.

• The Clinton Camp have taken some pretty harsh shots that may hurt him......first the really sleazy ploy of announcing "We have this incredible dirt on Barack but we're not going to lower ourselves to divulge what it is".....which in reality does worse damage than just coming out and saying what the dirt is

That wasn't the clinton camp, that was a journalist, Robert Novack, who was trying to get some publicity. He never said the Clinton camp was his source, in fact, he never identified a source or any dirt.

....and now they are playing up the "Barack took drugs" card.....I think it sucks.

That was a state senator who has volunteered and supported Clinton, but as soon as he made the statement, the Clinton campaign denounced him and it. What he said was that he thinks that if Obama wins, the GOP would make a big issue out of his admitted pot and cocaine use, asking him specific questions,like when was the last time u used it, did u ever deal drugs.

I will vote/support/plug Obama if he wins, but I do not understand the hype around him AT ALL. He is not a liberal/progressive candidate. Edwards is far more to the left. And if you are voting for Obama instead of Hillary because of his personality, okay, fair enough. But, when you break down their positions on the issues, they are both mainstream democrats. Obama's biggest talking points are that, as opposed to Hillary, he didn't vote for the war in iraq (he wasn't in congress), and that Hillary voted to label a non-governmental Iranian army as a terrorist group (he didn't show up for the vote). He's had plenty of time to be progressive in the Senate, but please show me the "lets make some changes" type legislation that he has proposed since entering Congress? Again, there is nothing wrong with him, but there's nothing special about him either.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071213/D8TGFJF80.html

Dec 13, 4:19 AM (ET)

By PHILIP ELLIOTT

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama's admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate.

Obama's campaign said the Clinton people were getting desperate. Clinton's campaign tried to distance itself from the remarks Wednesday, and the adviser said later he regretted making them.

Bill Shaheen, a national co-chairman of Clinton's front-runner campaign, raised the issue during an interview with The Washington Post, posted on washingtonpost.com.

Shaheen, an attorney and veteran organizer, said much of Obama's background is unknown and could be a problem in November 2008 if he is the Democratic nominee. He said Republicans would work hard to discover new aspects of Obama's admittedly spotty youth.

"It'll be, 'When was the last time? Did you ever give drugs to anyone? Did you sell them to anyone?'" said Shaheen, whose wife, Jeanne, is the state's former governor and is running for the U.S. Senate next year.

"There are so many openings for Republican dirty tricks. It's hard to overcome," Shaheen said.

Clinton's campaign said it had nothing to do with his comments, and Shaheen said later he regretted them.

"I deeply regret the comments I made today and they were not authorized by the campaign in any way," Bill Shaheen said in an e-mail released by the campaign.[/b]

A campaign spokeswoman, Kathleen Strand, earlier had said "Senator Clinton is out every day talking about the issues that matter to the American people. These comments were not authorized or condoned by the campaign in any way."

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in response to Shaheen's remarks:

"Hillary Clinton said attacking other Democrats is the fun part of this campaign, and now she's moved from Barack Obama's kindergarten years to his teenage years in an increasingly desperate effort to slow her slide in the polls. Senator Clinton's campaign is recycling old news that Barack Obama has been candid about in a book he wrote years ago.[/b], and he's talked about the lessons he's learned from these mistakes with young people all across the country. He plans on winning this campaign by focusing on the issues that actually matter to the American people."

Obama wrote about his teenage drug use in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father." His rivals have largely remained silent on the subject.

"Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final fatal role of the young would-be black man," Obama wrote. Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, he wrote, but occasionally he would snort cocaine when he could afford it.

Speaking to Manchester high school students earlier this month, Obama said he was hardly a model student and had experimented with drugs and alcohol.

"You know, I made some bad decisions that I've actually written about. You know, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs," he said. "There was a whole stretch of time that I didn't really apply myself a lot. It wasn't until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, 'Man, I wasted a lot of time.'"

New polling shows Clinton and Obama basically tied in New Hampshire. A CNN-WMUR-TV poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire shows Clinton at 31 percent support, Obama at 30. The same poll had Obama trailing by 20 points in September.

Clinton's campaign has distributed its first flier that criticizes Obama's health care plan for leaving 15 million people without insurance. TV ads following the same theme also have been prepared.

"This is not the time to go back to the same old politics of, 'now I'm going to smack you over the head with a baseball bat and call into question your character,'" Obama co-chairman Ned Helms told reporters in a conference call earlier Wednesday, decrying what he said was Clinton's negative campaign.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yeah, I like Obama, but policy wise even his health care plan doesnt seem to go far enough and cover everyone[/b]. Obabma talks about change, but Edward's positions are a lot closer to my own, and seemingly most democrats. Can't figure out why he doesnt have more traction, besides people choosing based on personality and perception, and also accepting the 'elitist' image thats been heaped on Edwards. And if you're talking electability, smiley southern guys have a pretty good record last couple decades.

Would people really abstain from voting if its Hillary? Are these former Nader voters?

• I will vote/support/plug Obama if he wins, but I do not understand the hype around him AT ALL. He is not a liberal/progressive candidate. Edwards is far more to the left.

saying. I ride for Edwards but I don't think he's got a chance at this point.

I will vote for whoever the Dems nominate, but I think Obama is a lot more "electable" in a general election than Hillary. I just hope whoever they go with shows some Frickin' balls when they go up against the Republican nominee, unlike Kerry's soul-sucking, limp fish campaign in '04.

if it's balls you want, I think (ironically) you gotta go with Trillary. you really see Obama manning up and running the kind of dirty campaign he's gonna need to win a general election? Hillary is the clear choice between them for the general (though hatred of her runs pretty deep in some circles I admit).

I will vote/support/plug Obama if he wins, but I do not understand the hype around him AT ALL. He is not a liberal/progressive candidate. Edwards is far more to the left.

saying. I ride for Edwards but I don't think he's got a chance at this point.

I will vote for whoever the Dems nominate, but I think Obama is a lot more "electable" in a general election than Hillary. I just hope whoever they go with shows some Frickin' balls when they go up against the Republican nominee, unlike Kerry's soul-sucking, limp fish campaign in '04.

if it's balls you want, I think (ironically) you gotta go with Trillary. you really see Obama manning up and running the kind of dirty campaign he's gonna need to win a general election? Hillary is the clear choice between them for the general (though hatred of her runs pretty deep in some circles I admit).

Personally I think(hope) that Obama won't lower himself to the level of Clinton's character assassination campaign tactics although some of his "people" may.

I think Hillary is unelectable.

Less than a year before we find out.

• Yeah, I like Obama, but policy wise even his health care plan doesnt seem to go far enough and cover everyone[/b]. Obabma talks about change, but Edward's positions are a lot closer to my own, and seemingly most democrats. Can't figure out why he doesnt have more traction, besides people choosing based on personality and perception, and also accepting the 'elitist' image thats been heaped on Edwards. And if you're talking electability, smiley southern guys have a pretty good record last couple decades.

Would people really abstain from voting if its Hillary? Are these former Nader voters?

i think the hillary-haters are mostly uninformed people who get their news from soundbites and talk shows, or are just making superficial judgments based on the whole who would you rather have a beer with debate. if you are a dem who hates hillary because she is too soft on bush, the iraq war, and just can't stand her iran vote, i get you and i'm somewhat with you. but, its not like the next leading candidate is kucinech or even edwards. i like hillary in a debate v. rudy or romney, much more than i like obama. she smashed the democratic debates, all 16 of them. and whether its a talking point or rhetoric, i agree that she is best prepared to step into the white house and start getting shit going from day 1. been there, done that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What gets my goat is this whole "lack of experience" frame HC's camp is trying to put on BO. PULEEZ, bitch! What experience does SHE have? Her sense of entitlement is disgusting.

But, hell, coming off the WORST president in the history of the USA, I'd settle for just leaving the office vacant to for a while.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

But, hell, coming off the WORST president in the history of the USA, I'd settle for just leaving the office vacant to for a while.

Say, thats actually not a bad idea.

Yeah, I like Obama, but policy wise even his health care plan doesnt seem to go far enough and cover everyone[/b]. Obabma talks about change, but Edward's positions are a lot closer to my own, and seemingly most democrats. Can't figure out why he doesnt have more traction, besides people choosing based on personality and perception, and also accepting the 'elitist' image thats been heaped on Edwards. And if you're talking electability, smiley southern guys have a pretty good record last couple decades.

i think the hillary-haters are mostly uninformed people who get their news from soundbites and talk shows, or are just making superficial judgments based on the whole who would you rather have a beer with debate. if you are a dem who hates hillary because she is too soft on bush, the iraq war, and just can't stand her iran vote, i get you and i'm somewhat with you. but, its not like the next leading candidate is kucinech or even edwards. i like hillary in a debate v. rudy or romney, much more than i like obama. she smashed the democratic debates, all 16 of them. and whether its a talking point or rhetoric, i agree that she is best prepared to step into the white house and start getting shit going from day 1. been there, done that.

i agree with you there. but remember the triumvirate of retarded states that actually gets to pick the nominee: IA, NH and SC--Oh, my!

• one last thing about obama that is strange and/or telling - why isn't race a part of his "change" campaign and why aren't black leaders (like sharpton and jackson) out there rallying for him? fact - there are more blacks who say they will vote for hillary, than for obama.

is it great for america to have the first black president be a guy who never speaks about black issues when he is not talking to a black audience? people criticized hillary for putting on her "you go girl" voice when she spoke to a black church. have you ever seen obama in the same situation? check youtube. i don't know. there are A LOT of things that rub me the wrong way about him, this is just one of 'em.

ehem,

• one last thing about obama that is strange and/or telling - why isn't race a part of his "change" campaign and why aren't black leaders (like sharpton and jackson) out there rallying for him? fact - there are more blacks who say they will vote for hillary, than for obama.

is it great for america to have the first black president be a guy who never speaks about black issues when he is not talking to a black audience? people criticized hillary for putting on her "you go girl" voice when she spoke to a black church. have you ever seen obama in the same situation? check youtube. i don't know. there are A LOT of things that rub me the wrong way about him, this is just one of 'em.

Amazing! Barack Obama is not BLACK enough for you!

oh, and Jackson and Sharpton? GTFOHWTB

Amazing! Barack Obama is not BLACK enough for you!

• oh, and Jackson and Sharpton? GTFOHWTB

yea, the two other most recent black presidential candidates. they couldn't possibly be black leaders. Oprah, now that's someone with political experience.

Are these guys really considered "Black Leaders"???

yea, the two other most recent black presidential candidates. they couldn't possibly be black leaders. Oprah, now that's someone with political experience.

are you kidding? those dudes were playing. and what is their actual political experience?

watch the video, if not for Obama stuff, just glance at the people in the audience while Oprah is on. she owns it. if she ran, it would be so over, but anyways...

yea, the two other most recent black presidential candidates.

...and no love for Dolo's boy?

• just glance at the people in the audience while Oprah is on. she owns it. if she ran, it would be so over, but anyways...

that would say a lot about society. dr. phil as vp?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama's admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate.

It's truly mindboggling to me that people say stuff like this with a straight face.

I'd be deeply suspicious of any adult who hasn't engaged in the amount of "drug use" that Obama has admitted to--which certainly doesn't begin to compare to the level of drug abuse we know the current president to have engaged in.

• A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama's admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate.

It's truly mindboggling to me that people say stuff like this with a straight face.

I'd be deeply suspicious of any adult who hasn't engaged in the amount of "drug use" that Obama has admitted to--which certainly doesn't begin to compare to the level of drug abuse we know the current president to have engaged in.

its not quite as bad as it looks. what he said is that the gop will use this against him and try to smear him, thats why dems should not act like its irrelevant if they are trying to vote for someone who will win the general election. obviously, its still a knock. but the press and the obama camp are being a little deceptive in how they are couching his statements.

Barack and the Media are being deceptive.....the GOP will use his drug use against him

And Hillary's campaign is as pure as the driven snow.

• oh, and Jackson and Sharpton? GTFOHWTB

are you kidding? those dudes were playing. and what is their actual political experience?

watch the video, if not for Obama stuff, just glance at the people in the audience while Oprah is on. she owns it. if she ran, it would be so over, but anyways...

God help us...Am I the only one here who thinks Oprah's insane?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama's admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate.

its not quite as bad as it looks. what he said is that the gop will use this against him and try to smear him, thats why dems should not act like its irrelevant if they are trying to vote for someone who will win the general election. obviously, its still a knock. but the press and the obama camp are being a little deceptive in how they are couching his statements.

Yeah, but again, look at who the face of the GOP has been for the past seven years--a bona fide coke head and somebody who heavily abused alcohol.

God help us...Am I the only one here who thinks Oprah's insane?

despite my appearance here, i do not ride for Oprah, but i'm trying to point that one must recognize her influence.