dim sum recommendations for SF Chinatown?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
What's good? Trying to get there tonight.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    What's good? Trying to get there tonight.

I should add that I do have a rec for Dol Ho, on Pacific between Stockton and Powell. Feel free to confirm or deny that this is a worthy eatery. I don't care about decor, just taste.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Uh, don't go to Chinatown for Dim Sum?!

And don't go for dinner... best in the morning/ brunch style.

I pretty much only fuck with City View on Commercial St (near Chinatown), or Yank Sing in Rincon Center.

That said, if you're looking for "authentic" Chinatown ambiance, you should venture out to the Richmond district (Chinatown 2).

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    If you're in the Sunset district, you should definitely visit this one:

http://www.southseaseafoodvillage.com/

(I might be wrong, but I don't think restaurants serve dim sum during the evening).

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Can we get a similar guide for Los Angeles? Thanks. I'm convinced quality dim sum does not exist in San Diego. I've had it at Jasmine and Pearl in RB, both are ho hum.

• i will recommend lychee garden on powell north of broadway. theres an official tea house kinda acros the street. but yeah, you should stay away from sf chinatown for dim sum. daly city or hayward is where its at for the bomb dim sum.

• I'm pretty sure O-Dub will have something to say on this subject (I know, ) (actually it's just that he always weighs in on (a) food threads and (b) SF threads and above all (c) SF food threads), but generally I would say:

don't go to Chinatown for Dim Sum

you are better off on Clement street.

and if you're balling and are not hung up on quaint notions of "realness," I must say Ton Kiang on Geary and Yank Sing downtown still serve some delicious Frickin' food. hatt me now.

• I only eat Yum Cha in Hong Kong. Eating it in America is like buying a CD.

okay dude, but what if you live in America and like dim sum?

• I do live in America

• they said dim sum. yum cha is lost on americans.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I pretty much only fuck with City View on Commercial St (near Chinatown), or Yank Sing in Rincon Center.

Yank Sing is easilly accessible and mad tasty. I wouldn't say its the most authentic but damn it's good. They even got those soup dumplings. Will cost you a pretty penny too...I remember a dim sum brunch for two was close to 100 bones.

• on not going to chinatown.

check out Good Luck Dim Sum on Clement if you can!

• on not going to chinatown.

check out Good Luck Dim Sum on Clement if you can!

holy shit dude, ok yeah chinatown aint really the spot for dim sum but u are talking about good luck 3 bao for 85cent doodoo dim sum. at least have the decency to sit down while u eat dumplings.

like my man!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Yank Sing is easilly accessible and mad tasty. I wouldn't say its the most authentic but damn it's good. They even got those soup dumplings. Will cost you a pretty penny too...I remember a dim sum brunch for two was close to 100 bones.

Yeah that spot is great but real pricy.

• not Chinatown but...Ton Kiang out on Gerry ...

• not Chinatown but...Ton Kiang out on Gerry ...

saying. people for whom the presence of white people ruins their Chinese eating experience can hatt, but there's no denying the deliciousness.

And what's wrong with buying a CD?

• OG vinyl only, you know this

• OG vinyl only, you know this

*eyeroll* okay dude...