Vick gets off easy

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

• ...where he will prbably be treated like a king.

think again.

• we need a "I aint scurred" graemlin

• ...where he will prbably be treated like a king.

think again.

shit, now that I think about it, it was a federal case...will probably be sent to a minimum security country club

• gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

So cock-fighting isn't a part of various cultures? what about hunting for sport? that's not cruel and inhumane?

i don't condone what Vick did, but i agree with the wisdom of Whoopee. if the public reaction towards Vick isn't racist than, at the very least, it is outrageously hypocritical.

• shit, now that I think about it, it was a federal case...will probably be sent to a minimum security country club

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    gonna spend only 23 months in prison...where he will prbably be treated like a king. Whoopee Goldberg said the entire case is racist, as dog fighting is part of "Southern Black Culture"....dumb bitch.

Taking into account that he very well may have also lost his livelihood as a pro QB, all his endorsements, etc., what more do you want?

And as someone who lives in the South...you don't at least have a clue where Whoopi may be coming from with her statement?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

That's fair, considering his career is dead and he'll be the object of public ridicule for years to come.

But yes.. Whoopee's comment is ignorant. I'm shocked to hear an African-American using the "Southern Culture" argument...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I dont know anything about dog fighting, but since the fastest animal on earth is the Cheetah, I'm suprised they don't have cheetah races. I'd watch that.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm shocked to hear an African-American using the "Southern Culture" argument...

• wisdom of Whoopee.

• I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

nope. they get 23 months apparently.

• shit, now that I think about it, it was a federal case...will probably be sent to a minimum security country club

thank you for illustrating to us what a country club looks like.

• How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

yes, but he also lied to a grand jury...

and as far as other "cultural animal fighting" I think cock fights should be banned also and the participants arrested. The "culture" argument is weak.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    wisdom of Whoopee.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

and as far as other "cultural animal fighting" I think cock fights should be banned also and the participants arrested. The "culture" argument is weak.

fuck the grand jury. they always getting people with that bullshit.

• wisdom of Whoopee.

I think i'm gonna puke!

I'm saying. I thought a country club is where you play golf. apparently it's where you play croquet.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    shit, now that I think about it, it was a federal case...will probably be sent to a minimum security country club

An Executive who embezzled money from his employer is sent to Federal Prison.

On his first day he is sitting in his cell crying, scared for his life and his cellmate tries to cheer him up.

???Is this your first time in prison???? asks his cellmate.

???Yeah, I???ve never even gotten a traffic ticket before this and I???m scared to be here??? answers the newbie

???Dude, this is Federal Prison??? says the cellmate. ???There???s nothing to be afraid of, it???s like a Country Club in here???

???As a matter of fact, did you see the golf course outside on your trip in???? asks the cellmate

???Yeah??? says the newbie.

???Well every Monday that???s all we do, play golf. 18, 36, 72 holes if you want, it???s a blast??? says the cellmate

???Hmmm. That doesn???t sound too bad??? says the newbie.

???Do you like to play cards???? asks the cellmate

???Yeah??? says the newbie.

???Well every Tuesday that???s all we do is play cards. Bridge, Tonk, Poker just about any game you want???

???Wow??? says the newbie ???Maybe this place isn???t gonna be as bad as I thought???

???Are you a homosexual???? asks the cellmate.

???Hell NO, I???m not a homosexual??? shoots back the newbie.

???Well then you're probably not gonna like Wednesday???s???

• How much time do you want him to get? Jeez, it was some dogs. I like dogs, but people dont get put away for life for killing dogs.

the culture argument is just an example of why the "public outrage" over Vick is misplaced and/or stems from racism. we kill animals all the time...in a cruel way (slaughterhouses), and nobody says a word because we like eating steak and wearing crocodile boots. there are animal cruelty laws on the books, but its not like the state and federal governments are out their setting up sting operations on the regular. If they were, I think we all would agree that their time would be better spent locking up murders and rapists. Very few people are trying to defend Vick's actions....in fact, neither is he. But if you are outraged that Vick only got 23 months, give it a rest. I'm sure there are people treating animals inhumanely right around the corner from you. Go pick up a picket sign and march to your local slaughter house or hunting ground.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Torture?

Or just plain awesome?

This guy says:

"Its just our culture... I love dogs!"

This guy says:

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I disagree."

The courts will decide, in the end.

Fucked by the law.

And got a prison tat.

• whatever, I still cant see the parallel between eating a hamburger and fighting dogs..sorry I cant see it. Holding Vick up as some sort of cultural icon is ridiculous. If a regular dog fighter was busted for dog fighting and dog carcasses were dug up on his property, and it was proven he had hung dogs and tortured them, they would be in a state prison for a long long time..much longer than 23 months possibly...

also, if he was gambling, it would make a little more sense, but dude was fighting, killing, and tortuing dogs for the pleasure of watching them suffer..that is some twisted, psychopathic shit, the behavior of somone who needs to be behind bars for a long long time

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    wisdom of Whoopee.

CLASSIC.

I'm not saying Whoopie is right by any stretch of the imagination, but by comparison, would you call cockfighting a part of "northern" or "eastern" culture?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    whatever, I still cant see the parallel between eating a hamburger and fighting dogs..sorry I cant see it.

I believe the person who brought up meat was talking about the way the animals are treated when they are alive, not the fact that we eat them. However, most Americans tend to think of eating dogs as gross, and sometimes inhumane. There's a term for the way that Americans choose which animals we eat, and which we keep as pets - "cuteist." For example, pigs are said to be as smart as dogs, but not too many people are keeping them as pets, nor do many people have a problem with bacon. I'm not making a value judgment one way or the other about eating dogs vs. eating pigs, but it's hard to deny that animals raised for consumption are treated inhumanely on a broad scale.

Holding Vick up as some sort of cultural icon is ridiculous.

No one in this thread, nor Whoopi, has done this. A couple people made the point that the career path that Vick chose may well be out of reach now that this has happened. If he had chosen a career that was not in the limelight it is unlikely that a conviction like this would have as great of an impact on his job after prison, unless he were a lawyer or a veterinarian.

If a regular dog fighter was busted for dog fighting and dog carcasses were dug up on his property, and it was proven he had hung dogs and tortured them, they would be in a state prison for a long long time..much longer than 23 months possibly...

That sounds like speculation

dude was fighting, killing, and tortuing dogs for the pleasure of watching them suffer..

That sounds like speculation

that is some twisted, psychopathic shit, the behavior of somone who needs to be behind bars for a long long time

I disagree, but whatever, it's just a matter of opinion.

Dammit, I was really trying to stay out of this thread.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Dude got the high end of the sentencing range. His attorneys were seeking a year, the government sought 18-24 months, and judge agreed with the government. And he most likely won't ever be coming back to the NFL. Methinks justice is served.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Dammit, I was really trying to stay out of this thread.

While I won't deny the potential for racism in this case, I think most of the outcry surely stems from the fact that dogs are pets. When people think of dogs being killed, they think of their own dog, or another dog they've been close to. Most people outraged by this case have probably bonded closely with a dog at some point in their life. That's obviously not going to happen with a cow. Most people have never bonded with a cow.

If Joey Harrington (or some other more famous white QB, sorry guys, I don't follow football) gets busted for financing a dog-killing ring and gets off scot free, or with a light sentence, I'll agree the system is biased. But in this case, I think a lot of people were simply shocked and outraged at the discovery that dog-fighting even existed as an organized sport.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    so what year will he start playing for the Raiders?

• There's a term for the way that Americans choose which animals we eat, and which we keep as pets - "cuteist." For example, pigs are said to be as smart as dogs, but not too many people are keeping them as pets, nor do many people have a problem with bacon.

dude. you ever see a baby pig? cute as hell.

that said, bacon is delicious.