Repairing vintage portables?

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I have a old panasonic portable turntable/radio that is super loud, it kind of looks like this:There are two issues with it:1) The turntable motor does not wind up like it should2) The volume knob is finickyIs is just plain stupid to bring this in to get fixed? I have looked over the electronics and it is dead simple, but i am lacking in the soldering skillz.Thanks

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    1) Is it a motor issue or a does it just need a new belt (assuming it is belt driven)?
    2) Replacing a volume pot isn't too tricky, just have a look where the original wires are soldered to on the pot then disconnect it, take the old pot to a electronics store, get a replacement one & re connect it.

Soldering is dead easy, get a small soldering iron & solder & get some practice on some random bits of wire then you're away laughing.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    It's a motor issue for sure. Are these standard types of motors or something more ?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    In my experience replacing old motors or repairing them is when things become tricky & pricey.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Mine eyes are heavy...

Thank you for the advice!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I used to repair/refurbish vintage-portable TTs like these on the regular. I found that repairing them yourself is the only feesable way to do it, and if you do not have a decent grasp of mechanical/electrical engineering, you shouldnt try.
    That being said, if you really want to fix them. I would suggest getting some donor portables to use for parts, a good number of the parts are interchangable sometimes.