recommendations on recording/editing software

bottomfeederbottomfeeder 116 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
can anyone recommend what program i should buy/use to clean up the sound of a record when transferring it to my computer? i own an imac.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    BIAS Soundsoap if you need to get rid of surface noise, though you do lose detail.

Audacity is free and easy to use.

Do a search.

• thanks

• Waves z-noise is a good plugin but pretty expensive and u need a host. Some of the better programs are for pc in this area, diamond cut live is probably the best. It's used for forensics work.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best possible sound quality out of a recording vinyl using Audacity? I find that when I rip vinyl it kinda sounds not that crash hot.

In what way? It sounds like something is askew with your soundcard/recording settings if it really does sound noticeably bad and not just not as good as the original record.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    not to be a prick, but this topic is becoming very searchable.

not to be a prick, but this topic is becoming very searchable.

JAYMACK IS A PRICK. DISCUSS.

(Agreed, easily searchable topic.)

• ^^^^Stay on topic. If you want to talk about searching, start a new thread.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best possible sound quality out of a recording vinyl using Audacity? I find that when I rip vinyl it kinda sounds not that crash hot.

what kind of soundcard are you recording with? factory?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure it's not that good. This sounds like the problem (no soundo).

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I run mine through my mixer and then through my m-audio box and audacity. It sounds great. Did a couple of rips the other day on different settings and everything sounds good. Any tips about exporting out of audacity ie Wavs or Mp3s?? any preferences people?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure it's not that good. This sounds like the problem (no soundo).

If its one that came with the pc, its most likely pretty shitty. Weak pres might give a real thin sound. You would be much better off getting a better audio interface for recording. Something $150+++. They make pci cards, usb, firewire devices that are 50x better then a factory stock soundcard.

Far as recording, bring your levels up to where it just start hitting the red and back off a little bit. Get a real hot recording. As for exporting try to export to mp3 as a 256 or higher bitrate to get decent fidelity.

• THANKS Y'ALL. THE ADVICE IS APPRECIATED. I DO GOT MY MIXER HOOKED UP TO AN M-AUDIO BOX. I GET GREAT SOUND. BUT WHEN I HAD MY PC I USED ABODE AUDITION TO REMOVE HISS AND POPS. IT WAS PERFECT. KINDA LOOKING FOR THE SAME THING FOR MAC. I WILL TRY THE PROGRAMS SUGGESTED.