what happens to us after were DEAD?

2»

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The start of Grand Funk Railroad - 'I Can Feel Him In The Morning' springs to mind.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Are you alive now?
    Have you ever been alive?

verily verily verily
    life is but a dream

Actions such as going belong only to the body. And so, when one says "I went", it amounts to saying that the body is the being. But, can the body be said to be the consciousness being, since the body was not before it was born, is made up of elements, is non-existent in the state of deep sleep, and becomes a corpse when dead? Can this body which is inert like a log of wood be said to shine as being?

objects that come from beginningless time

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Nothing happens after you die. Thats what sucks about deading. You no longer exist.

Its nice to philosophize and stuff, but in the end, I've never seen anything even remotely resembling evidence to the contrary.

Sucks too, because I wish my grandma and granpa were off in heaven, but I know they just don't exist anymore.

On the other hand, its good motivation to get as much done while you can.

• I think you die and that is it. Nothing else, nothing special except you're dead.

My wife believes this. I do not.

Life is cyclical and neverending.

I think people just tell themselves this so they feel better. Like there's some sort of greater meaning to their existence. But really, if there were a heaven for people then there'd be a heaven for deer and squirrels and plankton and tapeworms. And that's just on Earth, we're not even factoring in the Klingons.

It's just not logical. I don't see how any entity could feasibly house an exponentially growing population of souls. It just doesn't make sense. Unless your soul dies. But then, where does it go?

I'm not talking about a "heaven" in the conventional sense.
    I'm talking about your soul, energy, essence, whatever you want to call it, is one with everything and does not die. It's just one part of a greater whole.
    I can't explain it, it's just something I know and believe in.

Exactly. There is no birth or death, there is only existence. Put it to you this way: We can only percieve a record one instant at a time. We can only percieve in a linear fashion, but that doesn't mean the song before no longer exists. Nor does it mean that this is the only record that exists just because its the only one we hear at the time. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it simply is. Our linear existence is no different from a needle moving around a record. When its over, you pick up another record and start again. The purpose is to learn something each time out. We have something called the vail of forgetfulness that prevents us from remembering previous lives. This makes evolutionary sense, because it would be harmful to your current existence to remember previous live where you had capabilities you no longer possess, such as flying. The universe cannot percieve itself, just as a record cannot listen to itself. So therefore we experience it subjectively and report back our experiences.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Soulstrut: internet HUB for dudes "on some other shit"

generally just wyl' on some lala land shit teleporting with the blink of an eye

if there were a heaven for people then there'd be a heaven for deer and squirrels and plankton and tapeworms

Yeah, I've heard of this philosophy. Actually, I think Spock believed in it too.

it would be harmful to your current existence to remember previous live where you had capabilities you no longer possess, such as flying

I don't know where this thread is going, but I like it. That includes the two (and counting) unprompted Star Trek references from Grafwritah. Carry on.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    some believe you become the last thing you think of

• Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed in form.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

As some one once sang, there's no beginning and there is no end...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I don't know where this thread is going, but I like it. That includes the two (and counting) unprompted Star Trek references from Grafwritah. Carry on.

Sorry man, in going through all the $1 used VHS movies at the local used spot I think I've finally run out of normal movies to watch, so recently I've moved on to covering all the Star Trek movies. Like that one about the whales - what shit were they smoking when they came up with that one?

some believe you become the last thing you think of

"Everybody, clear your minds."

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I was under the impression that when you die, you wind up in dollar-bins and become sample-fodder.

Too optimistic?

-e

• SocratesSocrates 137 Posts
    "Life on Earth is just a death sentence.............." ~ Mobb Deep

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "Life on Earth is just a death sentence.............." ~ Mobb Deep

what happens to the dead is that they're praised/missed/loved forever with no chance to fuck it up/lied about/have some of their secrets revealed and others buried forever/cursed/worshipped/forgotten about/regretted over/remembered at the worst possible times and the best, too/shed tears over/laughed at/thought to be seen from across the street or across the room, but it's not them cause they're dead.

it's the if-a-tree-falls-in-the-forest-and-there's-no-one-there-to-hear-it-does-it-make-a-sound puzzle. what happens once the body is gone is only a concept. death exists only for those who remain, not for those who are gone.

• "Life on Earth is just a death sentence.............." ~ Mobb Deep

what happens to the dead is that they're praised/missed/loved forever with no chance to fuck it up/lied about/have some of their secrets revealed and others buried forever/cursed/worshipped/forgotten about/regretted over/remembered at the worst possible times and the best, too/shed tears over/laughed at/thought to be seen from across the street or across the room, but it's not them cause they're dead.

it's the if-a-tree-falls-in-the-forest-and-there's-no-one-there-to-hear-it-does-it-make-a-sound puzzle. what happens once the body is gone is only a concept. death exists only for those who remain, not for those who are gone.

This reminds me of the Jewish view of the afterlife (no kaballah), it is how you are remembered by the living. That is all.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    who do you believe in ?[/b]

"I see mothers in black cryin, brothers in packs dyin

Plus everybody's high, too doped up to ask why

Watchin our own downfall, witness the end

It's like we don't believe in God cause we livin in sin

I asked my homie on the block why he strapped, he laughed

Pointed his pistol as the cop car passed and blast

It's just another murder, nobody mourns no more

My tear drops gettin bigger but can't figure what I'm cryin for

Is it the miniature caskets, little babies

Victims of a stray, from drug dealers gone crazy

Maybe it's just the drugs, visions of how the block was

Crack came and it was strange how it rocked us

Perhaps the underlyin fact they hide explain genocide

It's when we ride on our own kind

What is it we all fear, reflections in the mirror

We can't escape fate, the end is gettin nearer

Who do you believe in?

I put my faith in God, blessed and still breathin

And even though it's hard, that's who I believe in

Before I'm leavin, I'm askin the grievin - who do you believe in?

Can't close my eyes cause all I see is terror

I hate the man in the mirror

Cause his reflection makes the pain turn realer

Times of Armageddeon, murder in mass amounts

In this society where only gettin the cash counts

I started out as a beginner

Entered the criminal lifestyle became a sinner

I make my money and vacate, evade prison

Went from the chosen one to outcast, unforgiven

And all the Hennessy and weed can't hide, the pain I feel inside

You know, it's like I'm livin just to die

I fall on my knees and beg for mercy, not knowin if I'm worthy

Livin life thinkin no man can hurt me

So I'm askin -- before I lay me down to sleep

Before you judge me, look at all the shit you did to me, my misery

I rose up from the slums, made it out the flames

In my search for fame will I change? I'm askin

Who do you believe in?

Is it Buddah, Jehovah, or Jah? Or Allah?

Is it Jesus? Is it God? Or is just yourself?

Definately not to be imposed, being a demon

Because this is the joy of believing!

Men, to believe in yourselves

But for sure, the higher power

Resides only to ride in the heart of the true

From the soul, of the man; for truth never has an alibi

In the poetry, or in it's realm

That's what pulls all words together

Just to understand, that every man, is his OWN man

And only man can satisfy the man

Only the soul of the man, the feelings of the man

The for realness of the man

You can't shake the man when you feel the man you know the man

And you gotta call yourself because you are that man"

• highnoteshighnotes 66 Posts
    in my opinion you are thrown into a vortex with images on all sides of you showing different peoples love and spite for you all while your skin and bones melt and disitnigrate without pain. once you are left with nothing but the unseen mind...you are dead but more alive than you ever felt...
    death is

• i have no clue either...but if we are given the chance to start all over from scratch and have some sort of memory from our past life...i would definatly take that opportunity to make a change...for the good. i'm sure temptation would still be there, but why not try to better yourself and clear all your wrong moves. knowing that your second chance in life was to make it better than the first. peace

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think that ultimately it would depend on what a person believes. Its pretty evident that we define and determine our own reality while we are living, its probably the same after we pass to the next realm of conciousness.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

i don't think about it often, cuz it scares me. "eternal sleep", well anything infinite or eternal scares me, cuz it is not tangible and you can not grasp it. To even think about not existing, messes with my mind, so i do not think about it much. I guess this is what religion is for. In my imaginary land, I hope there is a heaven though.

• There are too many stories of ghosts, spirits and weird energy to make the worm food debate solely valid.

well they might not be ghosts or spirits as we know them. i've heard arguements that time/space weaves within itself, and not in one straight linear direction as one might think, and can occasionally cross or intercept its own path creating our illusion of ghosts. so you can argue that there is no past, present, or future in the traditional sense because it is all happening "simultaneously". very zen.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    My former boss & mentor Iron Vic once told me:

"It doesn't matter what you were in life. A king, a trash collector, Bill Gates, Denzel Washington, Joe Blow, or Sue Shit. The worms will lick your bones dry all the same."

Vic's verdict: Worm food.

Personally, I believe that life is purely biological.

Like what homeboy said earlier -

Remember what it was like before you were born?

That's what it'll be like when you're dead.

Nothing.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Hey Paul! I agree - worm food.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    cuz it is not tangible and you can not grasp it. To even think about not existing, messes with my mind, so i do not think about it much.

I remember this working for me for awhile. I remember getting in a trance in my chemistry when I was 13 or so. I entered a mental space where I imagined what the absense of my own life - and my own conscious.

Years later I was reading about Zen Koans - and I think this was it for me.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    Remember what it was like before you were born?

isn't there a koan that goes "what did your face look like before you were born?"

• The long dirt nap to compost land. You only have one life to live.

Actually I think eventually they'll be able to keep us running indefinitely, like a Model T or some shit.

I mean, they can already replace hips and knees and all that, pretty soon we'll all just be brains in a robot body.

Sexay.