Is this Ikea DJ Console still possible???

ZachDZachD 318 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Check the post on this page:http://stylespion.de/tag/ikea-hack/page/2/Check the bad internet translation:That there would not be no equipment for DJs, but who would like a economical DJ console, which should itself regard this IKEA chopping once. A Expedit and a lacquer television table were used. The reproduction is very easy and assistance of the many pictures for everyone comprehensible. The IKEA DJ console make with Instructables regard.Bottom line:He took a 2x4 expedit and put a lack t.v. stand on top of it.Problem:Did they discontinue the 2x4 expedit? Or do you turn the vertical one on it's side? Was there once a horizontal model? I thought they had a top and a bottom so turning it on it's side would not work, but I don't see a horizontal model expedit as shown in German dood's pic.

Comments

• I recently bought a 2x4 like the one pictured. I haven't set it up yet (waiting for my friend to drive it into the city for me next week) but there were a few display models in the store that were setup horizontally, and seemed pretty sturdy.
    That's how I'm planning on setting mine up so I'll let you know next week

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I recently bought a 2x4 like the one pictured. I haven't set it up yet (waiting for my friend to drive it into the city for me next week) but there were a few display models in the store that were setup horizontally, and seemed pretty sturdy.
    That's how I'm planning on setting mine up so I'll let you know next week

Thanks, post or PM me, this is a dope idea and cheap.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    this is an english version http://www.instructables.com/id/Ikea-DJ-Console/

I plan on building this but with recessed turntables

• We bought one and added some legs to it to use as a counter in my girls shop. Works a treat and can't be beat for the price.

I also turned a Ramvik coffee table from there into an arcade machine, but that's another story altogether...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    No way that first set up will work if you run your turntables "hip hop style".

• mrdeemrdee 29 Posts
    i use a 2x4 on its side with my decks in flightcases on top
    (battle style) and its perfect
    i left out one of the shelves making it 6cubes + 1double space
    and thats where the amp and ssl fits
    with decks, mixer and laptop sat on top

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i use one on its side for my turntables/mpc and its where i store my digs until they get sorted

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Clicking what equates to "next" at the bottom of the page apparently gets you here, to the new 'Get On My Level' graemlin....

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im glad this thread was started. i was just looking for a dj console. yall just saved me a lot of money.
    i dont think ill add the tv stand top, but im going to try to find some thick rubber blocks to use as feet/risers

• I have a 2X4 expedit for a little living room record storage. It's a perfect place to throw stereo equipment or whatever.

I thought I'd mention ... though it hasn't been a problem for me, when you turn one of these on its side, you end up putting the records on the dividers rather than the actual shelves (the shelves become the dividers). Basically, this means that your records are being held up by the wooden pegs that keep the dividers in place.

Again, it hasn't been a problem for me. But it would be nice if they designed a horizontal model (or if you could just buy individual shelf boards from the larger expedits).

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    is there a way to support the shelving?
    isnt it still being supported by the pegs if the shelving is stood up in the correct position?

by the way im having some trouble locating some 2-3" thick rubber squares
    anyone have an idea where i could find some? 4x4" would be ideal.

• is there a way to support the shelving?
    isnt it still being supported by the pegs if the shelving is stood up in the correct position?

When it is in the correct (vertical) position, longer boards that stretch the entire width are supported by the pegs at their very ends and the vertical dividers underneath them. In the case of the 2X4 expedit, the shelves are 2 cubes wide and are supported by one divider in the middle. When you flip it, the records rest on the dividers, which are only one cube wide/long. The difference isn't that significant (and hasn't been a problem so far), but the shelves are somewhat weaker when placed horizontally.

• http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

The dimensions on the description have to be reversed for width and height or wrong.
    So maybe if you make it in to a console then it would be 2 1/2 feet tall by 5 feet wide?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    turn it on it's side, get a lamintated pressboard approx 16 inches deep by however wide (Home Depot) to hold your turntables etc on top (expedit is too shollow otherwise). I've got mine set up that way, works perfectly, perfect height too.