Rolling Stone Article on Ornette Coleman

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I have been getting a gift subscription to Rolling Stone for the past year. I usually flip through it once and throw it in a pile or the trash. Sometimes I read one or two of the articles. I can't remember the last time I read one of the music articles. Then last night I open it to find a 4 page article on Ornette Coleman. I was shocked. The article was ok, but it was great to see a jazz legend as far out as Coleman receive shine in a mainstream music mag.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    That's interesting.. what was the context?

• It was just a background article. Talked about his career and him playing for sun burned hippies at bonaroo.

Before anyone else can say it,

Rolling Stone Vindicated!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    it was great to see a jazz legend as far out as Coleman receive shine in a mainstream music mag.

Ornette Coleman is a major jazz artist who recorded largely on Atlantic records in the meat of his career. He is by no means a non-accepted or non-mainstream artist anymore. There are no polls that could possibly be formulated to substantiate such a claim, but Coleman's probably one of most folks' top five most influential jazz artists. Sun-Ra is around there, too - despite his erratic recording habits.

Call me when RS does a spread on Phil Cohran or Abdul Wadud. Hell, even Sahib Shihab.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I was at a friend's last weekend. He had a 'Rolling Stone Record/CD Guide' in the bathroom. It gave me diarrhea. And that was when RS was still decent.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Confession:

When I was in high school, I constantly checked out the OLD RS record guide from the library. It was the first edition and had pictures of all the 5 star albums sprinkled throughout the book. It would take it down to the dollarbin and look for those 5 star records. Two of my first purchases inspired by the guide were Eno's 'Another Green World" and Soft Machine 'Third'. I can't totally hate.

• it was great to see a jazz legend as far out as Coleman receive shine in a mainstream music mag.

Ornette Coleman is a major jazz artist who recorded largely on Atlantic records in the meat of his career. He is by no means a non-accepted or non-mainstream artist anymore. There are no polls that could possibly be formulated to substantiate such a claim, but Coleman's probably one of most folks' top five most influential jazz artists. Sun-Ra is around there, too - despite his erratic recording habits.

Call me when RS does a spread on Phil Cohran or Abdul Wadud. Hell, even Sahib Shihab.

What part of jazz legend did you not understand? If you ask the average Rolling Stone reader to list 5 jazz musicians Coleman would probably not be on there. Thanks for the words of wisdom though. Your knowledge knows no Frickin' bounds.

• It gave me diarrhea.

Who needs fiber?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    it was great to see a jazz legend as far out as Coleman receive shine in a mainstream music mag.

Ornette Coleman is a major jazz artist who recorded largely on Atlantic records in the meat of his career. He is by no means a non-accepted or non-mainstream artist anymore.

Still a very unlikely candidate for a Rolling Stone article, given their recent history.

There are no polls that could possibly be formulated to substantiate such a claim, but Coleman's probably one of most folks' top five most influential jazz artists.

How about...

Poll: Name your top five most influential jazz artists.

• Still a very unlikely candidate for a Rolling Stone article, given their recent history.

For real, it isn't like he is recording with fallout boy.