The 100 Greatest Detroit Songs Ever

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You can name all the obscurities all night long - the fact is, even if they had included a bunch of private-press raers, people would STILL be thinking of records they missed...

Some folks here are Soulist, is what you're trying to say.

• You can name all the obscurities all night long - the fact is, even if they had included a bunch of private-press raers, people would STILL be thinking of records they missed...

Some folks here are Soulist, is what you're trying to say.

That wasn't what I was trying to say, but I agree with it!

• and how is Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever omitted?????

• All told that's a pretty good list (even though one of my personal faves, 'Chains of Love' by JJ Barnes was only "bubbling under").

Props for the A-Squared version of 'Looking at You' by the MC5 and 'Rock and Roll Music' by Frost.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    and how is Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever omitted?????

we're trying to forget about that asshole...

• it's a rockist list basically.

Of COURSE it's gonna be a rockist list. We're talking about the town that gave us Mitch Ryder, the Gories and Brownsville Station - just because Detroit has a sizable techno scene doesn't mean we gotta sweep Iggy & the Stooges under the rug. And wasn't one of D-Town's biggest DJ's in the eighties (the Electrifying Mojo) famous for playing hip-hop and new wave right next to each other?

Besides, I'll bet some garage-rock fanatic is reading this list and going "wow, this list is too soulist - too much Motown and not enough MC 5."

It's kind of odd that you'd accuse this Detroit list of being too rockist. If you look closely, there's all these black rockers and white soul singers crossing over into each other's territories and back. In a climate like that, the term "rockism" makes next to no sense.

• read the list of music mags at the start & you can see where these guys are coming from: MOJO, Q, Blender, Creem (America's Only Rock & Roll Magazine)[/b], Living Blues[/b], yada yada.

Of course, they're gonna come from those magazines. They're good writers who know what the hell they're talking about. I mean, Michael Hurtt is pretty much unfuckwitable as far as these things go! If it were a bunch of nobodies who never wrote anything other than a shopping list, would it be more readable then?

Anybody who says this list is lacking probably means it doesn't have enough of what they like. But an all-techno list wouldn't tell the whole Detroit story, so that ain't happening!

I know Mike Hurrt, he's a cool guy, knows his shit, I like what he wrote - but I'm just seeing alot of 'rock canon plus a token couple of rap & techno things' in there.

OWN ALL YOUR HISTORY!!!!

and how is Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever omitted?????

OWN ALL YOUR HISTORY!!!!

clear your PMs!!!!

OWN ALL YOUR HISTORY!!!!

The Amboy Dukes are on that list, and that's as good as Nugent ever got.

• gotta co-sign on Michael Hurtt, helluva nice guy and knows his stuff...him and his buddy were DJing with Shinagaling and myself once and he admitted to us that he and his partner were scared they wouldnt have any records as cool as ours and didnt know if they should try and DJ with us! You dont get many compliments as cool as that...also if you have a shit ton of independent label 60s country stuff, he's your man, dude is a fiend for country 45s, always buys a massive stack whenever he comes to the shop...

• Michael Hurtt is a fiend for country 45s, always buys a massive stack whenever he comes to the shop...

You're telling me! I found this out one night in Green Bay, Wisconsin at the big rockabilly festival earlier this year...he and I sat up all night talking about the cat who did the cover art for Starday Records. And I thought I was fanatical about that label, but my man Hurtt was matching me pound for pound in that department.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No James Yancey at ALL??? Incredible.

• No James Yancey at ALL??? Incredible.

BOOIIING

• No James Yancey at ALL??? Incredible.

wow.

they did include "tainted" (karriem riggins) but i would have said "fall in love" instead, which would have at LEAST included dilla.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Michael Hurtt, a fiend for country 45s

If one of you want to PM me this guy's e-mail, a local shop
    just made a 50,000+ piece country warehouse buy, they
    are sorting through thousands of store stock 50's/60's country 45's
    and will gladly take a list if not make one up.

Same lot that got me my Roy Jr. "Victim of Circumstance" 45

• i can think of some blues 78s...well...JVB label...the hi-q label...lots of output on these...mostly gospel i reckon too, but c'mon now...Brother Will Hairston "ALABAMA BUS" 78 on JVB (do i have this label right??i'm almost 1200 miles from the rekkids

detroit put out sooooooooo much greeeeaaaaatttt music of any genre one could think of...so, this list is cool, but somewhat laughably impossible

• Well, look on the bright side, y'all - at least they didn't include Gallery[/b]