BEST MOVING TRUCKS? (nrr)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I've used uhaul and it was relatively painless. Looking for the best deal/service.

Comments

• I've used uhaul and it was relatively painless. Looking for the best deal/service.

I don't know about the east coast but Uhaul is pretty much the only deal in town over here. You can try Zipcar if it's a small load. They're like $55 a day but you have to allow about 3 days to get approved.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it there's like a $75 application fee for Zipcar.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've heard a lot of bad things about U-Haul, but I've used them without issue in the past... and I'm sure they are all death-traps when it comes down to it. I think I used a Budget for my last big move and it was fine and slightly cheaper.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Furniture?
    Art?

Errythang?

• last year I posted a enraged diatribe about my uhaul adventures on here...in summary...truck broke down literally a less than hundred yards down the street after pulling out of the Uhaul parking lot, the truck was in my possession about one minute...people who had I just rented it from said they couldnt do anything...Uhaul wouldnt rent me another truck until the one that just broke down was fixed...bitch, complain, cast pox on, motherfuck Uhaul.

so ended up going with Penske...truck was bad-ass...comfy, plush, yet the truck was a solid,huge beast...big side doors a big plus...more expensive, but worth it IMO.

• U-haul completely fucked us on our last big move and I will never ever do business with them again.

• I've always found better deals on local moves out here with Budget I think. Depends on how much/how far though, and NYC is most definitely a completely different story than the wild wild west.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    what company would be best for moving a storage space worth of lps from coast to coast???

• That's what I'm talking about. 10k LPs need to be driven up the 95. I can do one of those movable container things for around 1500. Looks like a truck might be cheaper.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    what company would be best for moving a storage space worth of lps from coast to coast???

Man, I researched a lot of this back in 2006 but of course, I can't remember shit now. I think we ended up going with Atlas but it pays to get at least 3 estimates and research the reputation of the van lines you're thinking of using. The thing is: if it's over 100 miles or so, you're getting charged by weight, not space, and that means you have to be wary of how things get estimated since different lines do their accounting different if your actual weight comes in under or over the estimate.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    1000 cubic ft of LPs related? All I know is with Penske trucks you can see the fuel gauge moving downward in real time.

• U-haul completely fucked us on our last big move and I will never ever do business with them again.

Co-sign!

Last time I rented a U-Haul I had it setup for an 8AM pick-up. I go to the location to pick-up my truck. Not only did they not have a truck waiting for me but the Frickin' place didn't even open till 10AM!!!! I had to take BART all the way from Oakland to SF to pick-up a different truck, drive it back to Oakland to pick-up my stuff, back to SF, and back to Oakland to drop it off. My drop-off deadline was 10AM. I dropped it off at 7AM. Dude didn't bother to actually process the drop-off until 1PM and stuck me with another full days worth of rental fees. At the time my credit card was almost maxed out so an extra day of rental charges on my account was a big deal. I called them everyday for 3 weeks. Everyone I talked to said they couldn't help me and I had to speak with a supervisor. 3 weeks later I finally get a call and a refund. Frickin' horrible experience.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    1000 cubic ft of LPs related?

• we are not talking about a cubic yard of Supertramp Breakfast In America here.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You'd be hard pressed to find these LPs in greater quantity.

• I used U-Haul this past summer and the transmission went out mid-highway. Some of their trucks are OLD and i have a feeling their maintenance schedule is

U-haul completely fucked us on our last big move and I will never ever do business with them again.

• last year I posted a enraged diatribe about my uhaul adventures on here...in summary...truck broke down literally a less than hundred yards down the street after pulling out of the Uhaul parking lot, the truck was in my possession about one minute...people who had I just rented it from said they couldnt do anything...Uhaul wouldnt rent me another truck until the one that just broke down was fixed...bitch, complain, cast pox on, motherfuck Uhaul.

so ended up going with Penske...truck was bad-ass...comfy, plush, yet the truck was a solid,huge beast...big side doors a big plus...more expensive, but worth it IMO.

U-Haul Sucks balls. Penske and Budget at alright by me.