How to remove a bike lock?

BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
My bike is currently stuck on a fence outside my house, someone tried to steal it and fucked up my lock. I tried to turn it with my key and it broke off inside it....Later I tried going at it with a metal saw and it didn't even make a dent.anyone have any ideas how to get it off?

Comments

• if it's a U-lock use a car jack to pry it open.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    if it's the dial kind use a soda can.

How To Pick A Combo Lock - Watch more free videos

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I used to deal with this all the time. is it a wood fence?? Cut the fence. If it is an old style u lock you can put a pipe over the long (lockcore) end of the shackle and snap it off. If it is an Evolution or similar lock you can try a car jack, but in my attempts it works WAY better to crush the U with a vise. You will need a strong wise for this. See if you can get a jaws-of-life from your local fire dept. good luck. if you tell me exactly what kind of lock it is i can be of more help.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    yeah, the krypto u-locks are real easy to get open with the scissor style car jacks. you basically bend it into a O shape and the curved end of the u will slip right out.

or if you can get the key out, use the end of a bic ball point pen to open up almost any krypto.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/09/64987

i have used both methods on my own bikes before.

piece of cake.

• well it looks like this thread is a rap.

next.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i've struggled with the pen trick the few times i tried, but got it to work once or twice.

• thanks alot for the advice, I think I may be able to get hold of a car jack and if not I have a decent vice lying around. My lock is a u-lock, looks alot like this one.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    these are, without a doubt, the easiest locks to break. slide a 4 foot pipe over the lock core end of the shackle, brace the lock against something hard (not the bike) like the ground or the fence, push pipe away from U part of lock. it will snap off easily, you will be surprised how easy it is.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    these are, without a doubt, the easiest locks to break. slide a 4 foot pipe over the lock core end of the shackle, brace the lock against something hard (not the bike) like the ground or the fence, push pipe away from U part of lock. it will snap off easily, you will be surprised how easy it is.
    What do you mean by slide a piece of pipe "over" the lock core?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    if you look at the pic posted you'll see the lockcore (part where you put the key)sticks out past the U more than on the other side. it's just enough to get a pipe to hold on to well. you can then snap the core and that whole end of the shackle clean off. the inside diameter of the pipe has to fit over the outside of the shackle.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Here is how to open a u-lock:

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    this does not work all the time!!!! and his key is broken off in the lock. c'mon folks, read the whole thread.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Oops, I misread earlier. Carbide saw is your best bet then.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Oops, I misread earlier. Carbide saw is your best bet then.

if you are going to cut, cut in the middle of the bottom part of the lock, not the U part... the U part is solid metal, wheras the tube part where you stick the U in is hollow (or at least used to be when i had to hack thru one 10 years ago when i lost my keys...)... it only took a few minutes w a standard hacksaw...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if it's the dial kind use a soda can.

How To Pick A Combo Lock - Watch more free videos

the kid narrating this sounds exactly like Moulty from the Barbarians...

"Or maybe you think you're
    A little different or strange
    So listen to me now
    Cause I've lived through it all"

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    DUDES, THE PIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CUTTIN' INVOLVED. I'm thru with this thread!!!!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

36" handle ones usually do the trick. If the jaws can fit around it, these will cut it.

• if you are going to cut, cut in the middle of the bottom part of the lock, not the U part... the U part is solid metal, wheras the tube part where you stick the U in is hollow (or at least used to be when i had to hack thru one 10 years ago when i lost my keys...)... it only took a few minutes w a standard hacksaw...

I didn't have a metal pipe, a big enough vice, or a car jack around so I tried the saw out again. This time on the bottom part of the lock. Only took me and the hacksaw 5minutes or more to get through it. I feel like an idiot for trying to cut the u part before.

Thanks soulstrut lock removal team.