Sports Associted With Race

2»

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Wow, i'm sure dude did that as a joke but seeing as how there's few people of color involved with skateboarding that is ...how you say...not a good look.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Wow, i'm sure dude did that as a joke but seeing as how there's few people of color involved with skateboarding that is ...how you say...not a good look.

There are actually quite a few black pro-skaters.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    How many can you name?

I'm sure there are and in all fairness, i'm not up on my skating game (is Hosoi still busting rocket airs?) but on a whole it's safe to say it's still dominated by the melanin chalenged.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How many can you name?

I'm sure there are and in all fairness, i'm not up on my skating game (is Hosoi still busting rocket airs?) but on a whole it's safe to say it's still dominated by the melanin chalenged.

"Dominated" in the technical sense of more than 50%, but back when I was paying attention to it, it seemed like the proportion of respected professional skaters that were racial minorities was much higher than the proportion of minorities that make up this country's population. Seriously.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    kareem campbell
    daryl stanton

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    hmmm.... maybe it's been longer than I thought.

What era are you talking?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    kareem campbell
    daryl stanton

Stevie Williams
    Sal Barbier
    Sean Sheffy

Then there are a bunch of afro-brazillian dudes that are killing it. There are a bunch more but I can't remember them all.

kareem campbell

I had the Kareem Campbells at one point, too... they basically just looked like white-on-white AF1s w/ gumsoles, if I recall...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    So faux's past slowly reveals itself....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Also Karl Watson, Nilton Neves, Devine Calloway and lots and lots of Latino riders.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    kareem campbell

I had the Kareem Campbells at one point, too... they basically just looked like white-on-white AF1s w/ gumsoles, if I recall...

That's the shoe I was talking about, not the Singletons.

Other notable black skaters:

Gershon Mosley
    Chris Pastras
    John...forgot his last name. (from San Diego)

kareem campbell

That's the shoe I was talking about, not the Singletons.

Other notable black skaters:

Gershon Mosley
    Chris Pastras
    John...forgot his last name. (from San Diego)

What about other black skaters with shoes that white dudes can wear in order to make themselves feel slightly less white while engaging in the whitish pastime of skating?

That is what I'm talking about.

• Options
    Log rolling, even...that's my shit!

LOCAL SLANG ALERT!!!!!!!!

Log Rolling (circa 1995)=

Also referred to as a Lightsaber, table leg, or fungo bat

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    the black dude on the skateboard posed a threat to the other dude(s)...therefore as usual "we" had to dismiss skateboard dude from the culture/race...because God forbid one of us actually decides to do something different and not follow the other robots on/at the basketball court,corner,white t-shirt shop and recording studio

THAT pretty much sums it up.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Log rolling, even...that's my shit!

LOCAL SLANG ALERT!!!!!!!!

Log Rolling (circa 1995)=

Also referred to as a Lightsaber, table leg, or fungo bat

Coner...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    If anything, black dudes are often exoticized by white dudes in skateboarding on some "Oh, Drake Jones has got so much style" or "Kareem is sloppy, but his style is sick." Blah blah blah. To be sure, a lot of these black dudes were genuinely sick and deserving of praise when on a skateboard, but a lot of these dudes just passed for being cool, stylish black dudes, too. And it's most definitely on some subtle racist exoticizing shit as far as I'm concerned.

Those old Kareem Duffs jawn with the gum sole were so dope, though. They need to repress them jawns.

-e

If anything, black dudes are often exoticized by white dudes in skateboarding on some "Oh, Drake Jones has got so much style" or "Kareem is sloppy, but his style is sick." Blah blah blah. To be sure, a lot of these black dudes were genuinely sick and deserving of praise when on a skateboard, but a lot of these dudes just passed for being cool, stylish black dudes, too. And it's most definitely on some subtle racist exoticizing shit as far as I'm concerned.

Those old Kareem Duffs jawn with the gum sole were so dope, though. They need to repress them jawns.

-e

That's interesting...I skated for years and thought the same thing. But, then again, I recognized style in white dudes too (Tom Penny, Fred Gall *if i remember correctly*) So I guess I don't particuarly see it as an exoticization issue as opposed to the truth about most of those dudes! Perhaps that's my perspective, coming from the inside out, though.

In reagards to the Kareems, I still have a pair - same size and everything in my folks' garage. No reissues to damper the value? Wonder what they'd do eBay...

One of my homies is working on a documentary on a guy that looks like Mike Tyson (in terms of build & skin tone) who's a professional Ping-Pong player.

As soon as I find it, I will post.

IMG SRC="http://www.daftfilms.com/Ron.jpg" width=250>

You didn't know brothas did this, did you?