lil' love for the GOOD BECKYS

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I know and understand completely the harassment, ignorance, and drunkenwackness of true Beckydom. The Sean Paul wanting, Michael Jackson "Billie Jean" not good enough taunting, "more danceable" barking, eye rolling, tone arm bumping, type of girl that can make even the most seasoned veteran dj's amongst us temporarily lose faith in humanity. However, I feel compelled to also give some shine to those blessed creatures that represent the opposite. Lucy? or Ruby maybe? something spunky. The girls that actually ask for the song that you already have cued up next, and aren't bitchy about it. Or even better, the girls that give you leads to new music that you didn't even know about. When you're trying to spin ecclectic shit, first lesson is, there's always more to learn. And the way to learn is to ask other heads that know - WOMEN included.I've heard about a lot of good shit from girls coming up and telling me what's good. Not to mention the ladies that come up and ask to take you home on the spot, the girls that tip, the girls that support you by showing up on the regular and actually can critique your night's performance - we all got room for improvement. And the girls that burn you CDs of shit that you don't already know. This does happen, I know I'm not alone. Not this:but this:

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I've heard about a lot of good shit from girls coming up and telling me what's good. Not to mention the ladies that come up and ask to take you home on the spot, the girls that tip, the girls that support you by showing up on the regular and actually can critique your night's performance - we all got room for improvement. And the girls that burn you CDs of shit that you don't already know. This does happen, I know I'm not alone.

^^^What planet do you live on and how can I guide my spaceship there, lol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This DJ ReBorn who is on the other end of the spectrum.

I've heard about a lot of good shit from girls coming up and telling me what's good. Not to mention the ladies that come up and ask to take you home on the spot, the girls that tip, the girls that support you by showing up on the regular and actually can critique your night's performance - we all got room for improvement. And the girls that burn you CDs of shit that you don't already know. This does happen, I know I'm not alone.

1 outta 2000.

• This ReBorn who is on the other end of the spectrum. She's a DJ.

This I know, she's my homie from way back. These are the ladies I'm talking about. Tasteful. Creative. Good ears (among other attributes).

She is the panultimate. I used her as an example.

A girlfriend was the first to ever play me Fela (waaay back). A lady introduced me to Rico Rodriguez. Another Boriqua chica first played me Calle 13. That's just the tip of what I'm getting at.

• For our Carolina Funk release party the other week, a presumed Becky came up early in the night and asked "Are you taking requests?"

I firmly responded "We're only playing 60s & 70s soul and funk tonight."

"Okay," she said as I steeled myself for the inevitable Fergie namedrop. "Do you have any Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings?"

That was the only request, and the rest of the night was off the hook.

BTW - DigDug, your coworker was grinding all over me and I wasn't feeling it. What's her deal man!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

A girlfriend was the first to ever play me Fela (waaay back). A lady introduced me to Rico Rodriguez. Another Boriqua chica first played me Calle 13. That's just the tip of what I'm getting at.

Crooklyn got some smart Beckies!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Who's the ultimate?

This ReBorn who is on the other end of the spectrum. She's a DJ.

This I know, she's my homie from way back.

U used to go to Ubiquita?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    the women you describe are not beckys.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

someone please tell homeboy that the white J-Lo/newsie hat does not go with the striped button-up.
    in fact, he probably wants to just lose the hat altogether.

someone please tell homeboy that the white J-Lo/newsie hat does not go with the striped button-up.

Hopefully the dude w/ the grey hat & scarf just arrived to the place.......

Winter gear on the dance floor =

• This ReBorn who is on the other end of the spectrum. She's a DJ.

The party they threw on Ave B? Forget what that spot used to be called, but yeah. That was a good party. I actually know her through YouthSpeaks though. Met her when I was 18 and she was our slam team DJ/mascot. Swooning.

This ReBorn who is on the other end of the spectrum. She's a DJ.

The party they threw on Ave B? Forget what that spot used to be called, but yeah. That was a good party. I actually know her through YouthSpeaks though. Met her when I was 18 and she was our slam team DJ/mascot. Swooning.

It the refurnished and cursed Save The Robots space.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Who's the ultimate?

Who's the antipenultimate?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I like how he came up with a dance move to accentuate it. These are the intangibles of club compliance.