Becky: "There must be something better on there."

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh shit!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

controller7 and that pic editing program are the best thing thats happened to SS in a while.

• I know, women are scary beings!

• I LOVE CONTROLLER 7.

I know, women are scary beings!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i sense self hate

• i sense self hate

seriously.

Calling a married guy a virgin too. Does that even qualify as an insult?

• I have known your pain:

OMG...HAHAHAHA! i remember this girl being on deck forever. i'm so glad stef got this picture

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Nice headphones.

AHAHAHHAH...

I know I've sure felt like doing that before.

- spidey

• -

I know. It wasn't that funny. Sorry. I asked my office mate to help me make a picture insult.

He said, in a thick Russian accent "I know, why dohn you coook heem?"

I'm like "Huh?"

He says "Like make heem boil eeen a pot!"

Maybe I shoulda did that.

Anyway, I was trying to express my frustration with the over-the-top misogyny women hating so constantly on display. (In case my very subtle picture didn't make you get it)

It's so tiring, so exhausting.

SO so so so so so tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiresomeeeeeeee....

But, why do you all hate women so much?

I don't get it.

Me and my girlfriends aren't too bad. I mean, I'm pretty annoying and stupid and all. But no more so than most guys I know.

• I don't think it's woman hating. It's hating of certain people. There are definitely dude beckies. Brads, maybe.

I think dudes are just trying to be cool and don't want to ask for anything or don't want to admit they don't know something. There are just as many "dude, what you playing next? Oh really? I don't know man" hover over you annoying as fuck back seat dj dudes too.

I don't think you should take any of this personally, unless you are an over the top annoying girl who continues to badger a dj even when he/she is visibly upset. Usually visibly upset after having been nice for a long time.

This isn't woman bashing.

• Thanks.

No, I don't take it personally. I'm a woman. I'm accustomed to encountering misogyny daily.

It definitely does reek of women hating tho.

Yep, I'm a Becky. I love rap. I get drunk and obnoxious.

If you hate your crowd so much, why do you Dj for them anyway? If you're supposed to be providing a service of helping patrons of X-establishment have a good time, and you hold them and their gender and their boyfriends in such contempt, maybe you should consider a career change??

I don't know why I'm hitting my head against this wall anyway.

It's like telling people not to be racist.

Sillyness!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so you're angry that you're drunk and obnoxious and someone trying to do their job is complaining about drunk and obnoxious people?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This isn't woman bashing.

Says the guy who created an image of a woman getting her head lopped off

• Go to clubs that play the kind of music you like, on nights that play the kind of music you like. Don't be an asshole. Check the paper, look at a flyer every once in a while. Some people have a staggering sense of self entitlement.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Go to clubs that play the kind of music you like, on nights that play the kind of music you like. Don't be an asshole. Check the paper, look at a flyer every once in a while. Some people have a staggering sense of self entitlement.

Um, my friends and I are definitely not feeling this post.
    Could you write about how cute we look when we pout, or the
    way we make the management happy by being there in the 1st place?
    Look - it's my birthday. The least you could do is post about how
    we spend so much money at the bar and keep your DJ night alive.
    What I'm trying to say is, you are nothing without us.
    Now post something nice, or my boyfriend will kick your ass.

Questions: why are the majority (vastly) of people who make requests of DJs women (and not men)?

Does the fact that, in most cases, the requester is female and the requestee is male have any bearing here?

Does Josh have a worthwhile point to make in raising whether or not requesters are operating with a high level of self-entitlement...and where does gender enter into that equation?

(Note: I agree that Soulstrut is unabashedly sexist but I don't think misogyny, alone, explains the anti-Becky sentiment. If Beckies were asking to hear "some unreleased Dilla beats" or "anything off the Boscoe album" and offered to buy the DJ a beer on top of that, we'd see Becky-Worship rather than Becky-Hatred. And yes, there's definitely a gender element to that too.

Thanks.

No, I don't take it personally. I'm a woman. I'm accustomed to encountering misogyny daily.

It definitely does reek of women hating tho.

Yep, I'm a Becky. I love rap. I get drunk and obnoxious.

If you hate your crowd so much, why do you Dj for them anyway? If you're supposed to be providing a service of helping patrons of X-establishment have a good time, and you hold them and their gender and their boyfriends in such contempt, maybe you should consider a career change??

I don't know why I'm hitting my head against this wall anyway.

It's like telling people not to be racist.

Sillyness!

• over analysis

It doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy. I play requests all the time, and am always nice about it and try to play them if it fits the context of what's going on. I have no prob. with playing pop schitt. Some nights are great for that. But some people just have no tact and/or try and force what don't fit. Our metropolises are cluttered with adult babies.

now I'm an age-ist I guess

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Questions: why are the majority (vastly) of people who make requests of DJs women (and not men)?

Does the fact that, in most cases, the requester is female and the requestee is male have any bearing here?

Does Josh have a worthwhile point to make in raising whether or not requesters are operating with a high level of self-entitlement...and where does gender enter into that equation?

(Note: I agree that Soulstrut is unabashedly sexist but I don't think misogyny, alone, explains the anti-Becky sentiment. If Beckies were asking to hear "some unreleased Dilla beats" or "anything off the Boscoe album" and offered to buy the DJ a beer on top of that, we'd see Becky-Worship rather than Becky-Hatred. And yes, there's definitely a gender element to that too.

Josh is definitely on point when he says you should know your venue. If you're going to a club that's advertising a particular genre of music, you need to respect that. Patrons who feel they have the right to commandeer the music are definitely dealing with issues of self-entitlement. This happens all the time at soul nights I go to, but I've always wondered if techno DJs run into the same problems. When they're 45 minutes into their Eternal Ibiza Mindscape Solar Trance set, do the requests for Def Leopard start rolling in?

Also, and I could be totally wrong on this point, I feel like the motives for men and women club-goers are slightly different.

Girls: "I feel like going out tonight" = "Let's go to the club and dance"

Guys: "I feel like going out tonight" = "Let's go to the club and holler at girls until we're drunk enough to get dragged out onto the floor ourselves"

If girls are actually at the club to dance and guys are just along for the ride, it makes sense that there'd be more requests coming from the female contingent. This of course is just idle speculation.

who's josh?

• A band I play in was performing at Milk once and in the middle of our set some dude actually got in our drummer's ear and was hollerin' about "hey CUTTY, play some MAC DRE!!!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    women dance more than men. idiotic people require their song in order to grace the dance floor with their prescence. therefore idiotic women (in this case beckys) request more than guys.

control issues. basically on some flirt away until i get what i want just because i want to be able to say i got something i wanted. i would like to hear from the female DJs here what their requests are like and i wouldn't be surprised if they got less requests overall or at least a smaller female request percentage.

i don't think gender really comes into this at all but he definitely has a worthwhile point. i think people have a hard time realizing that whoever is DJing is in charge of the entire night's success and that by requesting shit, you're basically telling them how to do their job or disapproving as to how they are currently performing. one person's request for a song that "will make people dance" vs the rest of the floor clearing out shows a great deal of someone's character. it's basically, "i paid 10 bucks to get in, i should be able to yell at the dj for playing music i don't like and yell at the bartender for not immediately getting my drink."

A band I play in was performing at Milk once and in the middle of our set some dude actually got in our drummer's ear and was hollerin' about "hey CUTTY, play some MAC DRE!!!"

I was just about to post something related to this, but decided against it. So, anyway, here it goes...

Is it just me or are Bay area crowds super finicky ? I've been astounded by the way I've seen crowds behave in the last year or so. How do SF crowds compare to those you play for out of town? Is there a noticeable difference?

it's basically, "i paid 10 bucks to get in, i should be able to yell at the dj for playing music i don't like and yell at the bartender for not immediately getting my drink."

For real though, ponder this:

Aren't DJs service employees?

And if so, then why don't customers have an - cough cough - entitlement to be able to ask for specific services. Namely Prince and Kanye joints.

• It really depends on the context of the night. If I'm promoting a themed event I'm not "the hired help".

• And if so, then why don't customers have an - cough cough - entitlement to be able to ask for specific services. Namely Prince and Kanye joints.

There are PLENTY of places to get this service, more so than not. You don't ask your plumber to do a root canal.

• Is it just me or are Bay area crowds super finicky?
    They can be. I haven't travelled a lot some I have no basis for comparison. Cleveland was feeling me

it's basically, "i paid 10 bucks to get in, i should be able to yell at the dj for playing music i don't like and yell at the bartender for not immediately getting my drink."

And if so, then why don't customers have an - cough cough - entitlement to be able to ask for specific services. Namely Prince and Kanye joints.

If it's just a regular club gig, I don't think you'll get too many DJs throwing a hissy fit over requests for Kanye and Prince. Again, a lot of it has to do with the tone and timing of the request.

Is it just me or are Bay area crowds super finicky?
    They can be. I haven't travelled a lot some I have no basis for comparison. Cleveland was feeling me

Okay, just wondering. I've seen a few DJ-patron interactions in the last 6 months that have blown my mind. Literal caricatures of the personality types we clown on here.

If I can find a venue out here where people will consistently dance to soul/funk, I will be a happy, happy man.