Becky: "There must be something better on there."

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Last night I djed at the opening of a warehouse/party space. peacefullrotation played before me (because he had to dj somewhere else that night) and said it was really chill and nobody requested anything. I was happy with that. After about an hour of djing some girl comes up and says "I requested Prince 3 hours ago and I still haven't heard it." I told her I wasn't djing 3 hours ago, but that I didn't bring any Prince with me and I apologized. She gave me the gas face. She stuck around for about 5 minutes saying stuff like this:"what do I want to dance to?""Well, what is the most popular stuff to dance to these days?""what do you have that I will like?"what do I want to hear?"After being unhappy with almost every suggestion I had, I finally said Michael Jackson. She says "ooh yeah, but what song?" I say "anything off of the Thriller album."She says "well what's on it?"I say "Thriller, Billie Jean, Pretty Young Thing, Human Nature..."She says "There must be something better on there."Then I just stopped listening and cued up PYT and she danced the entire time.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I say "anything off of the Thriller album."
    She says "well what's on it?"

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Track #4 is SLAMMING!

People asking you for track #s off CDs is perhaps the funniest/saddest thing ever.

• i played last night and some non-becky wanted to hear anything by micheal jackson. all i had was the triumph album so i played "heartbreak hotel." right after that, in the middle of the very next song, an actual becky comes up and says "can you play anything michael jackson?"

yes dear...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I didn't bring any Prince with me

• I have known your pain:

i played last night and some non-becky wanted to hear anything by micheal jackson. all i had was the triumph album so i played "heartbreak hotel." right after that, in the middle of the very next song, an actual becky comes up and says "can you play anything michael jackson?"

yes dear...

Meaning -

Jackson 5 - ABC,Dancin Machine, The Love You Save(maybe)
    The Jacksons - Shake Your Body Down(To The Ground),Blame It On the Boogie

MJ dolo - Dont Stop Till U Get Enuff,Rock With U, and The Thriller?? tracks

maybe - U Rock My World

• -

• i still prefer djing at a place where i am right in the center of things, and subject to whoever wants to come drop their 2 cents on what should be played, then up in a secluded booth, feeling like i'm behind the curtain in the wizard of oz.

irritated > anonymous

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Classic!

that is great.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I have known your pain:

Ha! I remember that.

b/w

If you don't use this picture as a mixtape cover, I will.

• Nice headphones.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i still prefer djing at a place where i am right in the center of things, and subject to whoever wants to come drop their 2 cents on what should be played, then up in a secluded booth, feeling like i'm behind the curtain in the wizard of oz.

irritated > anonymous

Cosignature. I don't mind anonymity, but I don't like the feeling of being cut off from the room. It's hard to get a good feel for the crowd and/or sound when you're waaay above the room or in a booth with just a little window for access.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    it should also be noted that even though MJ is pretty well totally ubiquitous to us, many of the young people in clubs were not even born when that record was released. still...she sounds like she was "vacancy" sign on the frontal lobe.

Totally! When you pay good money to go to a club to dance, and some "ass so tight he could mint US coin" DJ won't play anything to move the crowd. Just wants to play stuff that he can tell his e-friends about later to impress them, but they'll act blase anyhow. Sometimes you have to push the herb aside and pick something yourself!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I have known your pain:

Totally! When you pay good money to go to a club to dance, and some "ass so tight he could mint US coin" DJ won't play anything to move the crowd. Just wants to play stuff that he can tell his e-friends about later to impress them, but they'll act blase anyhow. Sometimes you have to push the herb aside and pick something yourself!

• it should also be noted that even though MJ is pretty well totally ubiquitous to us, many of the young people in clubs were not even born when that record was released. still...she sounds like she was "vacancy" sign on the frontal lobe.

I hear you, but this girl was at least 23-25, if not older.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ive had girls just walk over to my computer and start scrolling. when i said "DON'T TOUCH MY Frickin' COMPUTER!", they get all pissy, and go tell their boyfriend, who proceeds to try and fight me. security removes both people who later call the police and report the dj for "selling drugs from the dj booth". when the cops show up, "i'm all "oh yeah, pssssh. my heroine sales are down tonight because of them" everyone laughs. but i was secretly shook cause of that zip in my bag.

• I didn't bring any Prince with me

I do realize it would have been a good look. I didn't have microwave and only had what I had with me. I guess that should be a "stays in the bag."

^^^ oh brother not you again...

• i still prefer djing at a place where i am right in the center of things, and subject to whoever wants to come drop their 2 cents on what should be played, then up in a secluded booth, feeling like i'm behind the curtain in the wizard of oz.

irritated > anonymous

Cosignature. I don't mind anonymity, but I don't like the feeling of being cut off from the room. It's hard to get a good feel for the crowd and/or sound when you're waaay above the room or in a booth with just a little window for access.

As long as I don't have my back to the action, everything's alright.

• my back to the action

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    my back to the action

i still prefer djing at a place where i am right in the center of things, and subject to whoever wants to come drop their 2 cents on what should be played, then up in a secluded booth, feeling like i'm behind the curtain in the wizard of oz.

irritated > anonymous

As long as I don't have my back to the action, everything's alright.

lol - my set up is with my back to the room looking out the bar's window! I face the room to pick records so it's not that bad. The window has a nice view on to a pretty busy street so it's great! With the no-smoking law, half the crowd is outside anyway, so the action is all around.

my back to the room so it's not that bad. a nice view, pretty busy w/ half the crowd, so the action is all around.

my back to the room so it's not that bad. a nice view, pretty busy w/ half the crowd, so the action is all around.

yup. it's been a while.

• hehe

I forgot about that lady, she came up right before those girls did their dance routine. I told her I had Prince and would try to play it later... I didn't look her dead in the eye but could tell by the tone in her voice that she was potentially problematic.

b/w

sorry bruh

• mad face becky