Woody Shaw appreciation

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
In the 60s, as a sideman for Larry Young, Booker Ervin, Horace Silver, McCoy Tyner, Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, etc., he was fantastic. But I want to appreciate his 70s (and even 80s) work today. I pulled 'Lotus Flower' (1982, Enja) for a buck the other day. I was actually surprised at how solid it was. I generally think the late 70s to early 80s was a bad time for somewhat straight ahead jazz. It was boring. But Mr. Shaw's records are exciting. He seemed to progress significantly throughout the 70s. (see below). If I wanted to get into more of his 80s work, what are some good titles?

Comments

• Yes, one of my favorite trumpeters. He plays on one of my all-time favorite jazz recordings, Horace Silver's Cape Verdean Blues. I believe that was actually my first realized exposure to Woody Shaw and his performance on that album still blows me away to this day.

I can't say I've ever found too much that I liked from him in the 80s. I agree that the late 70s and all of the 80s are a tough time to find that good straight forward jazz stuff. It's out there, but pretty few and far between.

• Along with James Spaulding, one of my favorite Blue Note "supporting players". His 70's stuff is very cool as well.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Along with James Spaulding, one of my favorite Blue Note "supporting players". His 70's stuff is very cool as well.

Curious why he never lead even one BN date?

• Along with James Spaulding, one of my favorite Blue Note "supporting players". His 70's stuff is very cool as well.

It must have been economic (with a bit of inside label politics). During the period that Spaulding and Shaw were working at Blue Note they seemed to have been trying to balance free, inside/outside and commercial soul jazz, and maybe neither of them pushed through at the right time. I know I love both of their styles.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

• another good one...

• "Love Dance" on Muse is another great album of his

• Reading this thread made me dust off "Love Dance" and throw it on. So fuckin good...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Along with James Spaulding, one of my favorite Blue Note "supporting players". His 70's stuff is very cool as well.

It must have been economic (with a bit of inside label politics). During the period that Spaulding and Shaw were working at Blue Note they seemed to have been trying to balance free, inside/outside and commercial soul jazz, and maybe neither of them pushed through at the right time. I know I love both of their styles.

I have nothing else to add except that I love Woody Shaw. A musician's musician.

• I have nothing else to add except that I love Woody Shaw. A musician's musician.

Yes. Oh... and he had impeccable taste when it came to who he worked with over the years - Horace Silver, Joe Henderson and later on Mulgrew Miller and Kenny Garrett - class.

Tragic end though.