Who has a Landmark Theater Nearby? (NRR)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
We just had one open in Baltimore in the last month. The ones I'm familiar with -- the ones in the SF and DC areas -- mostly program art house fare, if not exclusively. The one that just opened up here is doing a little of that, but primarily grabbing big Hollywood titles like American Gangster and Bee Movie.I'm trying to figure out how typical that is w/ a Landmark's year-round programming. I was under the impression that they all did primarily art-house booking. At first the 5-screen art house near me was freaking out thinking the Landmark was going to do them in, but based on their first couple weeks of programming it actually looks like Landmark may hit Baltimore's one remaining single-screen movie "palace" (The Senator) harder -- the Senator had American Gangster, and before the Landmark they would've had it exclusive in Bmore city limits, but Landmark opened with it on 3 screens.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The ones in Boston are Indie/Arthouse cinemas.
    Not strictly "art" films, but no blockbusters
    unless an indie film really takes off.

• Ours has unfortunately been converted into a trashy strip club.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    San Diego:

* Hillcrest Cinemas
    (619) 819-0236
    * No Country for Old Men
    (10:45) 11:30 1:30 2:15 4:15 5:00 7:00 7:45 9:45
    Dolby Digital
    * Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
    (11:00) 1:45 4:30 7:15 10:00
    Dolby Digital
    * Darjeeling Limited, The
    (11:15) 2:00 4:45 7:30 10:15
    Dolby Digital
    * Into the Wild
    (11:45) 4:00 8:00
    Ultra Stereo

* Ken Cinema
    (619) 819-0236
    * I'm Not There
    (2:00) 5:00 8:00
    Dolby Digital

* La Jolla Village Cinemas
    (619) 819-0236
    * No Country for Old Men
    (11:00) 1:00 2:00 4:00 5:00 7:00 8:00 9:50
    Dolby Digital
    * Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
    (11:10) 1:45 4:30 7:20 10:00
    Dolby Digital
    * Redacted
    (11:20) 2:15 4:45 7:10 9:30
    Dolby Digital

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Landmark's Sunshine Cinema
    143 East Houston Street
    New York, NY 10002

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (NA, min.)
    11:30am | 2:10pm | 4:35pm | 7:05pm | 9:30pm

Into the Wild (R, 150 min.)
    11:20am | 2:20pm | 5:20pm | 8:30pm

Lust, Caution (NC-17, 158 min.)
    12:00pm | 3:00pm | 6:00pm | 9:15pm

Redacted (R, 90 min.)
    11:40am | 1:45pm | 3:45pm | 6:05pm | 8:00pm | 9:55pm

Starting Out in the Evening (PG-13, 111 min.)
    11:45am | 2:00pm | 4:30pm | 7:00pm | 9:20pm

But there's many other venues in NYC to peep "other" movies.

Bottle of Water......4 bucks.....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I live close to the new Landmark West, which is basically L.A.'s art house meets multiplex. I like it a lot: $11 tickets but with reserved seating.

I live close to the new Landmark West, which is basically L.A.'s art house meets multiplex. I like it a lot: $11 tickets but with reserved seating.

Yeah the Sunshine here is real cool on a weekday afternoon. Limited seating & cozy.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Where is that? When I was in LA (until early 2004), I believe the only Landmark was inside the Westide Pavillion Mall -- it was a tiny fourplex and only screened indie films. Perhaps they changed their business model.

• Options
    We have one in Westbury that they have no idea what to do with. It's been empty for years and is basically the place where all the pigeons in that area live. It's sad because it's right in the middle of their downtown area but it's a big ghost building.

Another one in Freeport was turned into a church.

Where is that? When I was in LA (until early 2004), I believe the only Landmark was inside the Westide Pavillion Mall -- it was a tiny fourplex and only screened indie films. Perhaps they changed their business model.

Yeah, they reworked that Landmark in the Pavilion. It now houses 12 screens, including one called the "Living Room" which has couches instead of seats. I'm not going to front - I love the Landmark West; I don't get out to many films but it's great that the local spot is art house since I can go see blockbusters at other spots nearby too. The tickets are not cheap, as noted, but the reserved seating angle is worth the extra $1-2. Plus, they got popcorn for less than the $6 nonsense that other theatre MFers try to get over on.

We have one in Westbury that they have no idea what to do with. It's been empty for years and is basically the place where all the pigeons in that area live. It's sad because it's right in the middle of their downtown area but it's a big ghost building.

Lack of audience for these movies in the area?

• Options

Nah there was just a GLUT of movie theaters on Long Island. At one point my small town had 3 of them. Multiplexes knocked the snot out of the business, and the bigger nicer ones became too costly to keep open.

Possibly a lack of audience too, some of the nicest ones are located in lower income areas where the combination of the locals not having the cash to spend on films and non-locals not wishing to go to a movie in the neighborhood proved deadly for the business. They'll see new life as churches though.

Nah there was just a GLUT of movie theaters on Long Island. At one point my small town had 3 of them. Multiplexes knocked the snot out of the business, and the bigger nicer ones became too costly to keep open.

Possibly a lack of audience too, some of the nicest ones are located in lower income areas where the combination of the locals not having the cash to spend on films and non-locals not wishing to go to a movie in the neighborhood proved deadly for the business. They'll see new life as churches though.

Yeah. Im just sayin the demographic for these arthouse movies arent the same as the multiplex cats.

Cats in my part of town who ran to see American Gangster didnt even know about Mr. Untouchable which did play in Magic Johnson's Haarlem theatre.

Most of the artfilms I peep are shown in the Lincoln Center area of ManHatt.

• Wow, I thought we were talking about historic, landmark theaters...

Wow, I thought we were talking about historic, landmark theaters...

We just had one open in Baltimore in the last month.

• Options

Oh shit, so did I. What's a Landmark Theater then?

Oh shit, so did I. What's a Landmark Theater then?

Arthouse Theatre Chain.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The ones in Boston are Indie/Arthouse cinemas.
    Not strictly "art" films, but no blockbusters
    unless an indie film really takes off.

Of the Boston-area locations, I was most familiar with Waltham's Landmark Embassy, but I remember them always having a mix. I clearly remember seeing the first X-Men there, at least, and I'm sure there were others i can't remember, as it's been years since i've been in the area. Then there were plenty of the breakout art-house "hits" like Being John Malkovich, Boys Don't Cry, O Brother Where Art Thou, etc.

Huh, I'm really only familiar with the Kendall,
    which is definitely indie/arthouse, even with 8
    screens ... I looked at the Embassy before that
    post, and the most mainstream film showing was
    "No Country for Old Men," which opened here in smaller
    theaters before going into the multiplexes.
    But I can see the Embassy getting bigger films because
    they are more of a neighborhood theater for that area.

Huh, I'm really only familiar with the Kendall,
    which is definitely indie/arthouse, even with 8
    screens ... I looked at the Embassy before that
    post, and the most mainstream film showing was
    "No Country for Old Men," which opened here in smaller
    theaters before going into the multiplexes.
    But I can see the Embassy getting bigger films because
    they are more of a neighborhood theater for that area.

Yeah, I think the Kendall is probably as indie as the Landmark chain gets due to the student contingent and perhaps the Embassy is as "hollywood" as the chain gets due to it's suburban contingent. But really, the programming seems pretty consistent across the board...it's just a matter of maybe one movie every few months that tests the limits of indieness (Kendall) or hollywoodness (Embassy), as the case may be.

• $11 for a movie?!?!? I sure like my southern exsistence as far as this is concerned...I still shell out just $4.50 for a matinee(have always liked movies in the afternoon better than at night) and sit in a nearly empty theater..its like a private screening!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I've been to a couple in San Diego, I think one had a discount ticket on Wednesday nights, like maybe it was $4.50 all day.

The Dobie in Austin in a landmark theater. It's part of the Dobie Mall which is a mini two story mall near the UT Campus. There is a high rise dorm right on top of the mall basically which I think is only for student athletes. Always thought that funny since art house movies and college athletes don't seem a great match but the Dobie does pretty well as Austin loves it's art house theaters and the other one in town moved way up North. Some of the best pizza in Austin is at the Dobie Mall.

The Dobie has 4 theme theaters... Egyptian, Art Deco, Castle, and... I always forget what the 4th one is as I think they put the good movies in the Egytpian and Castle theaters.

They show 80% art house and will pick up a few mainstream movies but they generally won't be showing Transformers or Die Hardest, it would be something more like Eternal Sunshine or Sideways.

I hope Landmark stays around... I think they had some trouble a few years ago maybe.

$11 for a movie?!?!? I sure like my southern exsistence as far as this is concerned...I still shell out just $4.50 for a matinee(have always liked movies in the afternoon better than at night) and sit in a nearly empty theater..its like a private screening!

My man..."matinee" out here is like...$9. In NYC, there is no matinee.

It's not all that bad though - places in L.A. like the Landmark West and Arc Light are at the high end of the pricing scale but both also have reserved seating and frankly, that convenience is WELL WORTH the extra few bucks, especially since the rest of L.A. theaters (besides the Regency chain) regularly charge 9-10 with absolutely NO amenities (including higher concession prices).

My man..."matinee" out here is like...$9. In NYC, there is no matinee.

$5 dollar Tuesdays before 5 in my hood.

Then there were plenty of the breakout art-house "hits" like Being John Malkovich, Boys Don't Cry, O Brother Where Art Thou, etc.

Hardly ArtHouse. These are all big Hollywood productions.

Then there were plenty of the breakout art-house "hits" like Being John Malkovich, Boys Don't Cry, O Brother Where Art Thou, etc.

Well, these days, anything not involving explosions = art house.

"Art House"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

It's true, the term "art house" has strayed so far from its literal meaning, much in the same way that an overwhelming majority of the "independent" films that show in the "art houses" are actually distributed (and in many cases produced) by subsidiary wings of the big studios (Sony Pictures Classics, etc).

That's right. I should have put "art-house" in quotes, but I only meant to give these as classic examples of art-house as defined by Landmark's business model.

That's right. I should have put "art-house" in quotes, but I only meant to give these as classic examples of art-house as defined by Landmark's business model.

Also, those are examples of films that I referenced earlier, ie "indie" films
    that cross over to be big hits. You can call "O Brother" a big Hollywood movie,
    but Miramax is considered "indie" and the fact is, that movie could have just
    as easily died a quick death on the indie house circuit as gone on to be the
    big hit it was. You never know until you put it out. Point being, these "mainstream
    indie" theaters are the starting points for films like this - some break out and
    move into the multiplex, some close quietly a week or two later.