Who got into music because of skate videos?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I did. I definitely didn't have an older brother, and my friends were all bumping shit off of the radio. No music stores besides peaches and shit growing up. Hearing all kinds of hip hop, and punk rock in skate vids was a massive blessing for me. I used to dub the soundtracks to tapes and bump em in the car. I can remember listening to Hurricane 'Off the Hurra' in my Camry with all kinds clack clack in it.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Never really skated, and even the people I know that did were never really seemed to be that into skate vids as far as i could tell. Your post is kinda funny to me cause I played a gig last week in Philly where at the end of the night this dude came up and was buggin over my set. He couldn't believe I wasnt a skater, cause he was like, 'dude I know all those songs from skate videos, thats all like skate video music, right???". I tried to be nice and humor the dude, but he could tell I was kinda like wtf, had no idea what he was talking about....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    at the end of the night this dude came up and was buggin over my set. He couldn't believe I wasnt a skater, cause he was like, 'dude I know all those songs from skate videos, thats all like skate video music, right???".

Sounds like you met Hemol!

• They weren't my only source for under-the-radar stuff... but I definitely used to love watching new vids at the local shop and seeing what music was in them.

Girl, Chocolate, and Zoo York, and 411 always had dope shit.

I vaguely remember some guy I knew in university asking our friend Rory (of StopAndCop fame) to make him a mix of all the music off some Girl film... can't remember which one though.

I always really enjoyed the cinematic qualities of music, so I liked seeing it used effectively in skate vids.

• no because back then i liked the raps. and skate videos always had like scary white music like punk rock or something.

• bands i like becus of skateboard videos
    i mean i knew who some of these guys were but after tha video i saught out the song and then aboslutley fell in love with their material type of thang

jimmy cliff
    har you percussion group
    velvet underground
    donovan
    cymande
    iggy pop
    booker t
    curtis mayfield
    bob james
    royal flush
    herbie hancock - very big influence (guy mariano - Mouse) best part ever + herbie
    B.T. Express
    marvin gaye - t plays it cool still one of my favorite grooves of all tyme

and too many more 2 name
    yo turn!

this website has alot of soundtracks for older vids;
    skaeboardmusic.com

• no because back then i liked the raps. and skate videos always had like scary white music like punk rock or something.

u must have watched the rong videos

they were all about hip hop and funky shiatt in the 90s boyee!

brothers on the slide

• I got into both music and skateboarding before the existence of skate videos.

• I got into both music and skateboarding before the existence of skate videos.

rodney mullen is that you???

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i got into music LONG before i was cruising in the tercel.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Not music as such, but definitely punk & hardcore through the late 80s/early 90s skate vid phenomenon. I used to dub the soundtracks also. That Blind Video Days soundtrack is a great one, varied selection of tracks (Black Flag to Coltrane) but they are all great.

• Yep, growing up in a shitty town made skate videos the best source for music - I can still see the tricks when i hear certain songs.