USB turntable???

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Any good?? I've been seeing these a lot lately, and there's even an ad on soulstrut for a USB turntable that transfers vinyl to computer in a SNAP!Any users here? I totally need to update my mp3 collection for all the DJing I need to do in the upcoming holdiay seasons, HOLLA.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The only thing even remotely appealing to me abouta USB turntable is the possibility of easy vinyl rips. Is it good quality though? I have a feeling they might sound like ass.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    just get yourself an m-audio box. Then you can use it for so much more...

• reskresk 391 Posts
    just get yourself an m-audio box. Then you can use it for so much more...

this thing?

any word on this thing?

i myself am in desperate need of something that i can rip vinyl to cd's that is windows vista compatable

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    The only thing even remotely appealing to me abouta USB turntable is the possibility of easy vinyl rips. Is it good quality though? I have a feeling they might sound like ass.

yep. get/use soundforge....

...or just go to your local urban outfitters, get a usb jawn, and prepare yourself for the sound quality to be poop.

• its like rigging a usb port to a busted fisher price portable.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Haha I suspected as much.

So, soundforge is a program, or is it a device? Sorry, I'm really not connected (yes puno) when it comes to this kinda stuff.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I use this.

Sound Forge is software.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Haha I suspected as much.

So, soundforge is a program, or is it a device? Sorry, I'm really not connected (yes puno) when it comes to this kinda stuff.

yeah program.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp

It's a bit of work, but worth it if you want good sound and mp3, etc format.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    soundforge costs dough though so if you arent torrent savvy then maybe check out audacity

its a free wave editor which is basically what soundforge, wavelab, and peak are.

and yeah dont mess with usb turns. Get a nice audio interface, like the focusrite saffire le (great pre's for recording in the $249 range) or some of the maudio products. You can find maudio delta 10s and 66s on ebay for pretty cheap so that might be in your best interest if you want to save some loot.

• I use this.

Sound Forge is software.

How is this shiny device any better/worse than recording via the Line In on your soundcard, using a mixer as the source? Just curious, as I've been making mp3's of some of my vinyl this way (+ CoolEdit) and it sounds fine.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I use this thing with soundfactory on my G4 laptop. For the most part - all my rips sound straight. If the vinyl is a little on the crappy sounding side though - it sort of comes out a little magnified on the other end sometimes. I like this a lot though...and for $60.00 - it's a bargain IMO. You can probably get one even cheaper on the bay.

• I just got the new Music Direct catalog, and they're currently selling a Pro-ject Debut III model with USB:
    http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut_usb.htm

It goes for $449. Pricier than some of the plastic looking ones that go for $149, but if you want plastic sounding vinyl rips, be my guest. I've been eyeing the Debut III turntable for myself anyway (non-USB models go for $299-$329), along with a Rega P1 and a Music Hall MMF-2.2, as I've read some good reviews for both. At least with a Debut III USB, it eliminates the need to hook things up directly to a soundcard, which is not a big deal anyway.

• I use this.

Sound Forge is software.

How is this shiny device any better/worse than recording via the Line In on your soundcard, using a mixer as the source? Just curious, as I've been making mp3's of some of my vinyl this way (+ CoolEdit) and it sounds fine.

I recently bought an m-audio 2496 soundcard to use in place of my computer's built in audio. Vinyl rips sound a lot better, there is tons less interference/noise.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I just got the new Music Direct catalog, and they're currently selling a Pro-ject Debut III model with USB:
    http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut_usb.htm

It goes for $449. Pricier than some of the plastic looking ones that go for $149, but if you want plastic sounding vinyl rips, be my guest. I've been eyeing the Debut III turntable for myself anyway (non-USB models go for $299-$329), along with a Rega P1 and a Music Hall MMF-2.2, as I've read some good reviews for both. At least with a Debut III USB, it eliminates the need to hook things up directly to a soundcard, which is not a big deal anyway.

Wow. This could just be the step forward that the USB decks need. One's I've seen have all been plastic mediocrity in excelsis but this looks like it could be quality.

• Wow. This could just be the step forward that the USB decks need. One's I've seen have all been plastic mediocrity in excelsis but this looks like it could be quality.

The Music Hall brand gets a lot of good reviews for their turntables, whether it's a two-thousand dollar turntable or one that's under $500.

• just get yourself an m-audio box. Then you can use it for so much more...

this thing?

any word on this thing?

i myself am in desperate need of something that i can rip vinyl to cd's that is windows vista compatable

I use this with soundforge and have had excellent results...just wish I had a really nice belt-drive to record with...86 the travel noise altogether, but it does a fine job with 1200s.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Music Hall is okay. Their tonearms aren't as good as the Rega. If I was looking for something entry level & good quality, I'd opt for a Rega P2/3. Rega sets the standard in reasonably priced turntables. I rock a Clearaudio, but use a Rega tonearm.

• i'm a total n00b at this, but i borrowed a friend's numark usb table. seems easy and i've been having fun with it. trying to decide what i want to do. i'm not a dj or producer so i want the simplist and cheapest. i don't even know what the hell those gizmos you people are posting are. i've been told i can just plug my mixer right into my computer and use soundforge? true? could i do the same with audacity since its free?

anyway with audacity i'm still not sure i'm making mp3s in stereo. anyone feel like critiqueing an mp3? this is the 4th rip ever for me. 90s philly rap download 2kannon

• I use this thing with soundfactory on my G4 laptop. For the most part - all my rips sound straight. If the vinyl is a little on the crappy sounding side though - it sort of comes out a little magnified on the other end sometimes. I like this a lot though...and for $60.00 - it's a bargain IMO. You can probably get one even cheaper on the bay.

co f'ing sine

i love this thing.