Thanksgiving T.V. Marathon Appreciation

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Cable ruined it for me. I haven't had cable since the Humpty Dance was in rotation. Back then channel 5 in L.A. would play the Twilight Zone all damn day and night on Thanksgiving. Channel 9 whatever that was would play either the Munsters or Addams Family and Fox would play I Love Lucy. I miss that shit. I'm a HUGE fan of 50's-60's B&W Sitcoms and really miss this aspect of Thanksgiving. Maybe it was just in L.A. but I doubt it. Cable fucked everything up by buying out all the old studios. Oh sure, I could get cable and have sci-fi and nik at nite whenever I wanted...but this was one of the only things I looked forward to as a pre-teen spending Turkey day with the fams. This was long before alcohol and then Dvd's came into play, plus we were poor so we only had cable once or twice and only for a short while and have never had it since, although Void wanted to get it recently for the new basketball channel.I guess I could just rent it or buy it but it use to be free. It use to be a Thanksgiving staple for us non-football watching pot smoking hippies. Im sure Mtv still plays marathons to no end. joke. but I miss the thanksgiving black and whites on normal t.v. Is it just me?Anyways, I guess if I ever want to re-live it the DVD is the way to go. If I ever have kids I will make it our own tradition. That is all. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments

• yes!!! i used to love the twilight zone all day marathon. this was on thanksgiving? i thot it was on xmas. man talking tina used to FREAK ME OUT. i hated when itd be about 11pm at nite and the video broadcasts of twilight zone would come on. those looked like corny soaps n shit. my relatives had ON tv which was like a precursor to real cable and all it was was a box with a knob. it was either on or not.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yeah I think they did it on Thanksgiving, Xmas and even New Years day when the other guy was showing the Rose Parade.

I loved the last man on earth, call from grandma, pigface, William Shatners crazy airplane ride, To serve Man all the crazy classics and the ones I cant remember.
    I really do need to get with the times and get on netflicks or something. Its just so unlikely that I would sit down to watch all of these at one time with them at my disposal. Once a year....I can do that and totally look forward to it, even in the background while cooking and drinking.

Still loved the Munsters and Addams family too. Lucy is a huge guilty pleasure of mine as well. I just miss it, it use to be a big deal.

But the Twilight Zone I haven't seen in a very very long time. I would actually consider renting this in parts just to see what I've been missing for all these years.

• i have some bootleg cable (i'm not paying for it) that grants me food network among others (spike TV, univision, TLC, etc.). i keep my ish locked to food network where it's been a frequent rotation of how to freak turkey in a variable of ways for the past month. tonight i had to explain turduken to a portuguese girl. she was wow'ed.

paula dean = BUTTER STICKS

ps. fuck a rachel ray and her dunkin donuts-ass with all her bullshit programs, magazines, and anything else she touches with her annoying-ass voice, tone, and truncated language.

??FUCK THAT PUTA![/b]

pss. alton brown's nerd ass for prez.

psss. happy thangsjigglin'

• Shittttttt..... I can't remember the exact station but back in the early 80's, channel 9 and/or WPIX channel 11 used to run the ill Godzilla marathon...

King Kong vs Godzilla was always that shit!

And since were talking about marathons, don't let me bring up the Karate movies that used to run all day Sunday on channel 5.... Awww.. The good old days... I miss the old New York!

• have u seen any of the new twilight zones? theyre real hit or miss but theres one with jessica simpson in it. i think. maybe it was tales from the darkside.

anyways, man, i just assumed i would love the food network. i think the whole thing is crap. bourdain is slightly interesting and seems like a wild man but thats cuz u got that old southern bird propped up next to him and like 4 marys and a beard.

anyways, for us non-cable poor folks, did anyone ever catch "great chefs" on pbs? it came on like once a week in clovis and i loved that show. it was real shit in real kitchens.

• is lord of the rings on today? im watching the first one while i roast the bird but dont have the others.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I remember a time when MST3K used to have turkey day on Comedy Central
    I wish they would bring that back..

Also,Kung Fu Theatre as a kid running on the local station here when I was a kid.

Kung Fu and Turkey...Word

have u seen any of the new twilight zones? theyre real hit or miss but theres one with jessica simpson in it. i think. maybe it was tales from the darkside.

anyways, man, i just assumed i would love the food network. i think the whole thing is crap. bourdain is slightly interesting and seems like a wild man but thats cuz u got that old southern bird propped up next to him and like 4 marys and a beard.

anyways, for us non-cable poor folks, did anyone ever catch "great chefs" on pbs? it came on like once a week in clovis and i loved that show. it was real shit in real kitchens.

I think I have seen some of the new ones, they have Forest Whitaker as the host now right? Never seen the one with Jessica, Is the Outer Limits still around?

I thought I would love the Food Network as well actually. We were at my dads for dinner a couple months back and ended up watching iron chef for 2 hours. I guess I had Iron chef and Top Chef confused because It wasn't what I expected. We also watched some show about cakes and a show about dive bars and drive ins. My dad was saying they just play all the same shows all the time for hours on end. I think I'd rather spend that time cooking. I was pretty enthralled though, still if I need inspiration for a new dish I just use books or the net.

The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show. I'll have to look up that great chefs though.

• i think its great chefs of... and they usually fill in the ... with like THE WEST or THE DEEP SOUTH or something like that and its gourmet chefs in their actual restaurant kitchens instead of that food-channel-studio-kitchen-on-the-tonite-show look.

also really liked the frugal gourmet until he got locked up.

I kinda remember the Frugal Gourmet. Now Im remembering the Graham Kerr Show too.

PBS has it down, once they did an entire show about Sandwhiches!! It may have even been a series of the best sammys all over the U.S.

Not related in anyways but last nights edition of Kitchen Nightmares was a make-over on a spot on Downtown 2nd street in Pomona. When my dad lived there it was a Coffee shop called the Haven, a lot of now famous people played there before they were famous. I remember my dads friend kicking out Beck because he looked under 18 and they had a curfew law at that time.

I lived on 2nd for years after that as well. It still looks like a dead main street, the glass house is still there and they showed a record store of the same name too. Seeing the traintracks and my old stomping ground on the show was quite entertaining. I wonder if the Globe is still there next to El Marandero? My whole family lived on 2nd in a loft at one point or another over the course of about 8 years. I even recognized some of the patrons they invited into the cafe. What a trip.

• oh yeah, serg hipped me to that sammich show. it was just a few years ago i think. growing up, pbs was my cable. oh, and the box.

2nd and what in pomona? im out there every once in a while. donahoos is decent fried chicken. nayways, funny story about beck. i once saw him at this lil coffee shop in lil tokyo in the early 90s. the only reason i knew it was him was cuz he was playing on that same raggedy guitar in the loser video and his bandmate was bangin out rhythms on a cardboard box. it was kinda lame.

• The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show.

No love for the late, great Justin Wilson? His 1980's Cajun cooking show was so popular that it was even spoofed on The Cosby Show (somebody was watching TV while this parody of Wilson's thick swampland accent droned on and on). THIS was the man. He'd be cooking some delicacy when all of a sudden he'd start rambling on some topic that had nothing to do with whatever was in the oven. Ah, to hear that man use the word "wine" ("a li'l bit of wiiiiiiiiine").

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show. I'll have to look up that great chefs though.

Lydia's Italy (she is really mean-looking though) and Ciao Italia are good ones. The absolute worst, which is like an SCTV segment, is Plain and Fancy Cooking: two totally awkward women making stiff small talk acting like spinach and strawberries in a salad is on par with streaking through Main Street - yikes. All of these are regional shows though - WNED.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking of TV & Thanksgiving.

On this day 20 years ago. Someone in Chicago took over the airwaves and did this. CREEPY...

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=776

• The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show.

No love for the late, great Justin Wilson? His 1980's Cajun cooking show was so popular that it was even spoofed on The Cosby Show (somebody was watching TV while this parody of Wilson's thick swampland accent droned on and on). THIS was the man. He'd be cooking some delicacy when all of a sudden he'd start rambling on some topic that had nothing to do with whatever was in the oven. Ah, to hear that man use the word "wine" ("a li'l bit of wiiiiiiiiine").

Did this guy have a heavy accent? I remember watching a cooking show back in the day and couldn't understand a word the host was saying, yet kept watching it.

oh man how could i forget!!! OOOOOOUUUUWEEEEEEE!!! i think he was the spokesman for ruffles brand cajun potato chips at some point. this dude was so dope he didnt use any kind of measuring cups hed just pour it out or sprinkle out herbs in his hand and be like 'DASSSA QUATTA SPOON A PAP-PRIKA' and this one time he was like 'OH U DON BELEE ME' and he emptied out the contents in his hand into a teaspoon and it was exactly 1 teaspoon. i thought that was sooo awesome!

• Not related in anyways but last nights edition of Kitchen Nightmares was a make-over on a spot on Downtown 2nd street in Pomona. When my dad lived there it was a Coffee shop called the Haven, a lot of now famous people played there before they were famous. I remember my dads friend kicking out Beck because he looked under 18 and they had a curfew law at that time.

I lived on 2nd for years after that as well. It still looks like a dead main street, the glass house is still there and they showed a record store of the same name too. Seeing the traintracks and my old stomping ground on the show was quite entertaining. I wonder if the Globe is still there next to El Marandero? My whole family lived on 2nd in a loft at one point or another over the course of about 8 years. I even recognized some of the patrons they invited into the cafe. What a trip.

oh snappage. i have to check that out. thats my backyard and current stomping grounds by default.
    i remember the haven, but was too young ala beck, and the taco nazo that replaced it for a good run afterward. i reminisce on the once-lived hiphop/music scene around here and the fox theatre. but the "mic-and-dim-lights" open-mic is still going, and i tell myself to see it sometime soon again.

globe is still doing their thing, its now called gcs.
    my boys at analogue haven (proaudio shop) and the bookstore still draw me out to the skreets.

word.
    -kb

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Francis Ford Coppola movies and MST3000 Turkey Day on cable and Hawaii 5-0 and old war movies on local TV were cool

Speaking of TV & Thanksgiving.

On this day 20 years ago. Someone in Chicago took over the airwaves and did this. CREEPY...

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=776

haha! damn, that's mind-boggling and hillarious at the same time. That guy should reveal himself after two decades.

• hitchcock marathon on amc!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    hitchcock marathon on amc!

Hell yeah! I am neck deep in this thing.

I forgot just how incredible Psycho is. There's a reason this movie is such a cultural icon. Immaculately shot, acted, scored, etc. etc.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My little cousin was watching a marathon of some kid's
    cartoon on Cartoon Network today - she kept stealing the
    remote to change it from football. The episode I watched
    with her was really funny, they went to a swap meet and
    there were all these collectro jokes that were on point.
    Foster's Friends or some shit like that. Those with kids know,
    I'm sure. It was definitely better than the 4th quarter of
    the Green Bay/Detroit game!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show.

what about the one with Jeff Smith, Frugal Gourmet. Didn't he have a problem touching kids and they canned the show???? I liked his program.

oh man how could i forget!!! OOOOOOUUUUWEEEEEEE!!! i think he was the spokesman for ruffles brand cajun potato chips at some point. this dude was so dope he didnt use any kind of measuring cups hed just pour it out or sprinkle out herbs in his hand and be like 'DASSSA QUATTA SPOON A PAP-PRIKA' and this one time he was like 'OH U DON BELEE ME' and he emptied out the contents in his hand into a teaspoon and it was exactly 1 teaspoon. i thought that was sooo awesome!

AH GA-ROWN-TEEE....[/b]

AH GA-ROWN-TEEE....[/b]

Yes! I forgot that was his big catchphrase!

Also, his wife was ridiculously young and hot, IIRC!

He also made umpteen comedy albums before the TV show came along...

• Options
    The only PBS food shows I can think of are Test Kitchen, Caprels, Yan Can Cook and a Tex Mex show.

AH GA-ROWN-TEEE....[/b]

Yes! I forgot that was his big catchphrase!

Also, his wife was ridiculously young and hot, IIRC!

He also made umpteen comedy albums before the TV show came along...

I think he was the Cool Ranch Doritos spokesman too. "Ca-yaane peppa, oniiiion..."

There was a Curb Your Enthusiam marathon on two different HBO channels last night. Also, for the two who mentioned KungFu movies there's a channel on my Fios cable that runs them all the time, it's called "Blackbelt Programming". They can do a little better on the name, but it's got them on all the time except sometimes you catch an anime cartoon or something.