Thanksgiving at your house, what's it look like?

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I split it between my folks and her family.My family--Place: Davis, CA Eating time: 2:00pm, It's a shot out of LL Bean catalog if Mr. Bean did turkey. Like 7 folks that are tight family. It's a little bougie, but gotta respect Mom for producing this show. We sit down, very formal, complete with Martha Stewart style decorations and culinary innovations courtesy of Mom. Epicurean perfection. She's a brilliant chef, so everything is picture Frickin' perfect.Hers--Place: Richmond, CA Eating time: When you get there. HUGE buffet with everything from sushi to pizza (turkey definitely thrown in there somewhere). Sometimes there's even KFC. Hella beer. Hella wine. Little kids are running around everywhere smooshing food into the carpet. Standing room only. Maybe, 30-40 folks in like two little ass rooms. This will be the second stop so I'm sure to make up for lost drinking time from the first.Howz it look for you?

Comments

• My wife and I alternate Christmas and Thanksgiving between families each year. My folks are in PA and hers are in VA. Tonight we will drive 3 hours from Richmond to Danville VA spend less than 24 hours before driving another three hours to Charlottesville VA for dinner.

Neither of us have any desire to go. I have no doubt it will suck as my father in law is a fuck up and though my mother in law is great her idiot boyfriend will be there. I am going to get Frickin' tanked and pass out as early as possible. Not that holidays with my side of the family are much better.

This holiday gets the gas face.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• You live at a retirement center.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

You celebrate Thanksgiving at a Nursing Home???

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i knew i should've cropped the picture.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Here is what is it looking like so far at my house.

Saint Arnold's Divine #5 Russian Imperial Stout
    Session Lager
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Breckenridge Christmas Ale
    Anchor Steam Christmas Ale
    Steamworks Conductor Imperial Pale Ale
    Dogfish Head 120 minute
    Dogfish Head 90 minute
    Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Harvest Ale
    Miller Lite someone left in my fridge

Plus my own homebrew beers

Hazelnut Brown Ale
    Southern Brown Ale
    Summer Saison
    Honey Porter

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    yeah, I'm flying solo this year. I guess I'll catch up on a lot of listening and reading.

You are invited to my house for dinner....2:00.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Session Lager

Damn, Your in Texas??

I had no idea Sessions had nationwide distribution. They won't even put it in Kegs!
    I really like that beer, its the only "regular" beer I can drink ( not pbr or coors for me....ewwww) And it has a higher Alcohol % than most domestic lagers.

I emailed them about kegging it and they said they probably never would =( I also emailed them about their to get off twist offs which are more like pop offs.

Do they carry other Full Sail products in your area?

• You are invited to my house for dinner....2:00.

hahaha thanks homie. I'll be among some family, just no turkey this year.

Bill...your homebrew kicked the butt of ALL of the above.

• sister's friend's family owns a local cajun place and they want to put us on for dinner. no cooking, cleaning, or paying. and hopefully free booze

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Session Lager

Damn, Your in Texas??
    I had no idea Sessions had nationwide distribution.

I think Texas just got distribution for Sessions this year. We can get Full Sail products here too. The beer store a mile from my house has over 700 different types of beer.

Thanks

I just bought a kegerator a week ago. Now I'm going to start kegging my own beer and force carbonate it to speed up the brewing process.

• thanksgiving dinner isn't a tradition with my family. i'm going to make dinner with friends who either aren't flying home or also don't have families that celebrate.

Thanks

I just bought a kegerator a week ago. Now I'm going to start kegging my own beer and force carbonate it to speed up the brewing process.

I'm up for trading raers for a keg of your brew.

• You are invited to my house for dinner....2:00.

hahaha thanks homie. I'll be among some family, just no turkey this year.

The big homie Rich just doesn't understand The Secret Relationship Between Jews And Chinese Food.

The big homie Rich just doesn't understand The Secret Relationship Between Jews And Chinese Food.

Dude....52nd & Ave. L.....we had a friggin CHINESE FOOD TRUCK that delivered egg rolls right to the Mah Jong tables that were set up on the sidewalk!!!!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

word up. For the past 15 or so years our family has a 'chinese thanksgiving'. The tradition started when grandma was fed up with all of the cooking and we have ordered out ever since.

• On high holidays everyone on my Jewish side makes a point of eating a bite or two of the traditional shit, and then we order takeout.

TRADITION!!!

• reskresk 391 Posts

looks good

im about to start up the grill for tonight (first time making turkey on the grill), i work 2 to 10 on thanksgiving evening so gotta do it up tonight.

• having friends over to the flat... sort of a thanksgiving potluck. i am cooking my first turkey and lacing that with some canned yams. canned? anyway, we'll have all the fixins and plenty of pies and booze. got the christmas story, charlie brown thanksgiving and both grinches on DVD set to go!

• we've gone to the same restaurant out in the sticks of reading, pa since i was born. my dad remarried 15 years ago, but the tradition has lived on with him/us.

this year the restaurant is closed, i think it might have gone under. we are going out to eat somewhere in the philly burbs. my fiance's fam invited us to their house. his response to them was that "he doesn't like going to people's houses for dinner". smooth. i'm gonna try and split my time.

• Happy hollidayS!!!!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    cold colding out in san diego with the wife and the dog. the bol was just baking cookies like a champ.

tomorrow i'm in charge of the turkey and the made from scratch biscuits. the mrs is going to try some sweet potato marshmallow middle mash up joints and vegtables.

tonight...takillya or cutty bangs. our wine cellar thing just shit the bed.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I gotta jump in my van tomorrow at 8 am to get to new jersey to meet up with my immediate family then shoot over to my aunts house in staten island to eat turkey, sausage stuffing, and all that banging shit. Then i gotta shoot back to PA and get up for work at 7 on fri. YIPPPPIEEEE

i want to kill myself. My entire day tomorrow is going to be stuck in my minivan.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I gotta jump in my van tomorrow at 8 am to get to new jersey to meet up with my immediate family then shoot over to my aunts house in staten island to eat turkey, sausage stuffing, and all that banging shit. Then i gotta shoot back to PA and get up for work at 7 on fri. YIPPPPIEEEE

i want to kill myself. My entire day tomorrow is going to be stuck in my minivan.

oooof. good luck holding it together. sausage stuffing sounds good though. pa to the sue.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

oooof. good luck holding it together. sausage stuffing sounds good though. pa to the sue.

the sausage stuffing is the only thing thats going to keep me going.

my aunt makes that shit every year just for me and god damn is that shit good. and mashed potatoes made with chicken broth is next level as well. I am going to horde the leftovers on these bastards though. bellllleeeiveeee dat!

• Session Lager

Damn, Your in Texas??
    I had no idea Sessions had nationwide distribution.

I think Texas just got distribution for Sessions this year. We can get Full Sail products here too. The beer store a mile from my house has over 700 different types of beer.

Full Sail's winter beer, called Wassail, is really good this year. I eagerly await all the local (Portland) breweries winter seasonals every year, and this year Wassail is my favourite. (followed by, not that anyone really cares; Bridgeport Ebenezer, Deschutes Jubelale, Pyramid Snowcap, and Sierra Nevada Celebration)