High Society Brothers on Port Arthur

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
"Don't Spill the Wine" ... is this really an OG funk track,or a "new" band with an old sound? I've seen it sold asan old funk 45, but the shit sounds like some neo-funk to me, man ... I mean, those drums are a little too bangin'!!Ya know? And I can find NO info about the band/45.So, anyone know - is this some new band or is it

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    new. pretty good though, and they got the poor press label damage + old sleeves just right.

Yeah, actually, I just saw that the dead wax has "2007" etched into it.
    They did scuff up the labels, though, huh?

Some shady dudes are selling this as a "rediscovered lost gem" ...

... but the drums and price tag expose it as a modern release.

• That's Piitu from Finland's label... tasty. More to come soon he tells me.... every time I've played this peopled have thought it was an old joint and it sure fits nice into that vibe. More stoner slo-mo soul please.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    On a related note, anyone else cop that Caribbean Gay Torpedoes 45 that came out a while ago? Concourse/BigdaddyGeorge was selling that too. It's pretty much the same deal with that one too, the name alone should tip you off, but the track is great. It sounds a lot like the old Soul Fire productions, so I'm thinking those dudes could be involved. Anyone got some info?

• George played me this joint when he was last in town and it was a monster.

I had the exact same reaction though, "those drums cannot be for real."