Who's Cookin' what?

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Me:Cranberry/Walnut Cookies with an Orange glaze. Recipe straight from a 1938 New Homes and Garden Cookbook. Communist cookies for life!! Already scorched one batch of the glaze.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Tonight:

Dijon and sage chicken breasts with sauteed onions.
    A side of steamed kale and pear discs with ground pepper.

I made strawberry rhubarb streusel for dessert that was delicious.

Thursday:
    (Since I'm not spending it with family, I decided to make everything from scratch)

- Turkey with a homemade mint and pomegranate glaze
    - Cranberry compote
    - Dried cherries and granny smith apple stuffing with tarragon, porcini, celery and thyme
    - Garlic rosemary mashed potatoes
    - Grape and gorgonzola salad
    - Sweet potatoe pie

I'll start on the pomegranate reduction and bread crumbs tomorrow. What are you guys making?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    These last couple weeks I got Arrabiata sauce down consistently. I'm working on Mexican Rice right now. I had it near perfect last time. Making it along with Beans and Vegan Chorizo.

• Last night:
    Tomato & Cannellini soup with cilantro

Tonight's menu for three:
    Spicy ginger noodles
    Spiced stir fry tofu
    Steamed broccoli

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    last night kept it simple ancho braised chicken with tomatoes topped with cormeal dredged okra w/ rice. Sly fox pilsner for dessert. Oh and a little kitchen nightmares action on the bbc before hand. Love that show.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Yall some gourmet chefs when it comes to dinner!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I'm cooking the whole Thanksgiving feast from scratch. Butternut squash soup with curried apples, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce with candied orange zest, mashed potatoes, root vegetables, and a 25-pound bird, which is brining as we speak.

Roladen w/gravy boiled potatoes and brussel sprouts. German dinner in the house.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Got some cookies in ziplock that will knock you on the floor. Slow high.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'm cooking the whole Thanksgiving feast from scratch. Butternut squash soup with curried apples, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce with candied orange zest, mashed potatoes, root vegetables, and a 25-pound bird, which is brining as we speak.

wow, sounds good. I'm off to eat sushi.

Yum!

My bird is on the brine too.

Made the breadcrumbs this morning. They'll get stale overnight.

Made a stock this afternoon. I didn't have any bones, so I boiled onions, garlic, celery, cumin seeds, cloves, tumeric, rosemary, peppercorns, salt, tarragon and bay leaves in water. I'll use the stock, along with granny smith apples, mushrooms, dried cherries and bacon for the stuffing, which we'll dress with cranberry compote.

Just finished turning 30 pomegranates into 8 cups of raw pomagranate juice (my kitchen looks like a bloodbath horror movie), which I mixed with a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and a cup of sugar. It's been simmering for an hour, in a few more hours it should be a 1/2 cup of pomagranate molasses. From there I will add the molasses to orange juice, red pepper, salt, olive oil and mint to make the glaze for the bird.

Had enough extra pomagranates to make a glass of juice, cause I wanted to compare fresh squeezed with bottled Pom. No contest. Their machines probably aren't too precise about avoiding tannin.

I will bottle the extra molasses, and next week make a side of balled goat cheese rolled in herbs and drizzled with pomagrante syrup.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Cooked this last week and posted it on another forum..

Caramelised onion frittata with rocket and pancetta salad[/b]

Frittata[/b]
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon oil
    3 onions sliced
    1 cup roughly diced pumpkin
    1 zucchini roughly diced
    8 eggs
    ?? cup cream or milk
    Cracked black pepper
    ?? cup grated aged cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves

Salad[/b]
    12 slices of pancetta
    6 Roma tomatos, halved
    Olive oil
    Cracked pepper
    200g rocket leaves
    200g fresh asparagus, blanched
    ?? cup parmesan cheese shavings

Dressing[/b]
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon of balsamic
    ?? basil leaves, shredded
    2 teaspoons brown sugar

- Place tomatoes, cut side up, diced pumpkin, zucchini and pancetta on a baking dish, and sprinkle with olive oil and pepper. Cook until tomato, pumpkin and zucchini are soft and brown and pancetta is crisp.
    - Place butter and oil in a non-stick fry pan over low heat and cook until butter has melted. Add onions to pan. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until onions are golden brown, soft and caramelised.
    - Put eggs, cream and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add roasted pumpkin and zucchini to onions. Pour egg mixture over onions in frypan and sprinkle with cheese and thyme.
    -To finish cooking, place frittata under a preheated hot grill for 1 minute or until nice and brown.
    - Arrange rocket and asparagus on serving plates. Top with tomatoes, pancetta and parmesan.
    -To make dressing combine olive oil, lemon juice, basil and sugar and pour over salad

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    You got nice color on that fritata. I'm curious (and not in a snobby way) about the Cab that looks like it's packaged in a box of Kosher salt. Boxed wines here in the U.S. are sold in giant bulk sizes and are very poor, but I guess some countries are beginning to sell decent wines in other formats.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Beef Short Ribs braised in a Coconut milk/Curry/Thai chili liquid - slow for 2 hours.

Roasted fennel w/ olive oil and thyme

Mashed potatoes w/ Crema and homeade hotsauce/olive oil.....

Im gonna be postin up in this bitch on a regular basis.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    You got nice color on that fritata. I'm curious (and not in a snobby way) about the Cab that looks like it's packaged in a box of Kosher salt. Boxed wines here in the U.S. are sold in giant bulk sizes and are very poor, but I guess some countries are beginning to sell decent wines in other formats.

haha the box of goon (cask wine) is actually just a piss take, in joke related on the other forum..

Still, its actually not too bad - There are some reasonable cask wines avaiable in Oz ($15+), and there isn't so much of a stigma surrounding the drinking of them(amoungst people of my age at least). You'd never bring one to a restaurant or a serious dinner party though. NAGL.

I'd probably reccomend a white wine with that dish actually. A dry, somewhat fruity Sav blanc would go down nicely on a warm night.

Just finished turning 30 pomegranates into 8 cups of raw pomagranate juice (my kitchen looks like a bloodbath horror movie), which I mixed with a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and a cup of sugar. It's been simmering for an hour, in a few more hours it should be a 1/2 cup of pomagranate molasses. From there I will add the molasses to orange juice, red pepper, salt, olive oil and mint to make the glaze for the bird.

This turned out well. A lot of work, but the taste was worth it.

How much difference in taste would there have been if you brought some high quality Pomergrante juice and just reduced that?

How much difference in taste would there have been if you brought some high quality Pomergrante juice and just reduced that?

My guess? not much. But since it was just two of us this year I thought it would be a nice challenge to see if we could make the entire meal from scratch. Plus, I picked up a pomegranate from the local fruit stand a few days before and it was unusually delicious. I'm gonna make a pomegranate pork tinderloin this week (and my wife really likes balled'n'herbed goat cheese with pomegranate syrup), so the hours of squeezing will be useful in several meals.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    pomegrante juice with Bam sweat > pomegrante juice

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this thread is inspiring...bam your killing it

I ve been cooking Mafe for the brazilian masses, a traditional senegalese dish...

Its basically a manioc,carrot,sweet potato,horseraddish stew with chicken and a peanut based sauce served with rice...

• I killed shit on Thanksgiving...Chocolate cake w/ malted whipped cream; perfectly roasted and carved Turkey; gravy; maple-ginger carrots.

Moms made sticky buns (hughes' family traditional fare); dressing.

Wife made brussels and beans, and some butternut squash; sister made pear/almond tart.

But, my real KILLIN SHIT came yesterday and today...

Turkey chilli with all the dark meat yesterday. Today, butternut squash/ginger/carrot leftover soup.

So far frozen: Turkey Breast; Bag Turkey Chilli; bag Squash/carrot soup.

Any knowledgeable Cheese dudes out there?

I've been killin my Eggplant Parmesan.

I usually use Fontina Cheese, which is hard to cop in my hood.

Is there a good alternative to Fontina?

Any knowledgeable Cheese dudes out there?

I've been killin my Eggplant Parmesan.

I usually use Fontina Cheese, which is hard to cop in my hood.

Is there a good alternative to Fontina?

maybe go with a mixture of cheeses. Something like Gruy??re and Mozzarella.

• Eggplant Parmesan is usually made with mozzarella and parmesan, I believe.

Last night I made risotto with fennel, ricotta, and chili. Twas quite

This morning was steel cut oats with cinnamon, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and ginger. And a little brown sugar.

maybe go with a mixture of cheeses. Something like Gruy??re and Mozzarella.

Good Idea.....

I already sprinkle Parmesean. Im not sure about Mozzarella. It can be a little too runny in this dish.

Fontina melts very well w/out the extra gooey-ness.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    mama's cookin' kan tong...

• Vegan Chorizo.

yo WTF????

tell me more...

Eggplant Parmesan is usually made with mozzarella and parmesan, I believe.

The recipe calls for Fontina but Mozzarella was mentioned as an alternative. Mozz can be boring.

pierogis for lunch for me.

from wikipedia:

Young Fontina has a softer texture (and can be suitable for fondue). Fonduta is a traditional dish of Fontina whipped with eggs and cream. Mature Fontina is a hard cheese. Fontina has a mild, somewhat nutty flavor, while rich, herbaceous and fruity. It melts well. It can be substituted with: Gruy??re, Emmental, Beaufort, Taleggio, Edam, or Gouda.

I don't know how much I agree with this but if you can find Emmental, Beaufort, Taleggio, and Edam. You can find Fontina. Good luck.

Young Fontina has a softer texture (and can be suitable for fondue). Fonduta is a traditional dish of Fontina whipped with eggs and cream. Mature Fontina is a hard cheese. Fontina has a mild, somewhat nutty flavor, while rich, herbaceous and fruity. It melts well. It can be substituted with: Gruy??re, Emmental, Beaufort, Taleggio, Edam, or Gouda.

I don't know how much I agree with this but if you can find Emmental, Beaufort, Taleggio, and Edam. You can find Fontina. Good luck.

Thanx