help puttin music / recording music to computer

hendravishendravis 689 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
so, i never really have done this before, becus i never got the port . i kno its a port that has a headphone jack , 1/4 inch input for amp chord/ mic/ headphones.. also what do u call it , i cant think of it for the life of me rite now. i neecd help pickin one out that is fairly priced and works for both digitalizing vinyl and puttin my own music on, or to hook a midi or sampler up tostrut help!i know ill need softwaer for vinyl digitalizing and something for my midi. and recordinng -(sound forge?)

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    What is your budget?

b/w

Are you recording straight to the computer? If so, what do you plan to be recording?

• You'd probably want a USB or Firewire interface. The sound quality will be much better than going into a 1/8" jack.

Here's a cheapie from Behringer that I just found. Never used it but it claims to offer free downloadable software. Though, you may just want to go with Audacity which is also free and is known to work well.

If your budget is bigger than $30, there are tons of simple interfaces out there.

• What is your budget? around 150 or so rite now

b/w

Are you recording straight to the computer? If so, what do you plan to be recording?

well i plan to take some things from my loop station on to my computer and then maybe add key riffs, or bass lines. drums into a mic , or from a 4track
    i kow il aslo need sound forge? or somethin similar to record the music onto? then add layers of other instruments or samples?

im also lookin to get a sampler and midi quite soon

and digitalizing records

• is there any program better then adobe audition when enter your vinyl straight to your computer?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Personally, I prefer Soundforge for recording from vinyl. What version of Audition are you using?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you aren't going to upgrade your sound quality by using a different app, just ease of use.

• i think i was using 5, but im not sure. just bought a computer and need to get a recording program and i want reason 4, and the latest protools

• you aren't going to upgrade your sound quality by using a different app, just ease of use.

what do you prefer?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've been using soundforge for years and find it to be pretty simple to use but i haven't used anything else just for recording vinyl besides that

• i really like abobe. i used sound forge before. it did the job and it was easier to use. but adobe had more features.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

well i plan to take some things from my loop station on to my computer and then maybe add key riffs, or bass lines. drums into a mic , or from a 4track
    i kow il aslo need sound forge? or somethin similar to record the music onto? then add layers of other instruments or samples?

and digitalizing records

I would recommend the most basic piece of gear from either M-Audio, or Lexicon. Really, just look around and see what you find, but make sure you have 24 bit input, and the input format that you need. I'd steer clear of Behringer as they tend to give you what you pay for, and they'll need to be replaced in a year or so.

• i really like abobe. i used sound forge before. it did the job and it was easier to use. but adobe had more features.

There are tons of plug ins that you can use with Soundforge to add "features". I can't really think of regular features that Soundforge could have to make it any easier, really. It doesn't get much simpler than clicking record, clicking stop, and saving the file... Of course you've got filters for noise, volume adjustment, stuff like that, but it's all pretty standard on any wave file editing software. You can get extra compression and limiting with the plug ins, and other than that, I can't imagine what you would need. What features are you saying make Adobe Audition easier to use? Maybe I need to check it out...

• well i plan to take some things from my loop station on to my computer and then maybe add key riffs, or bass lines. drums into a mic , or from a 4track

and digitalizing records

I would recommend the most basic piece of gear from either M-Audio, or Lexicon. Really, just look around and see what you find, but make sure you have 24 bit input, and the input format that you need. I'd steer clear of Behringer as they tend to give you what you pay for, and they'll need to be replaced in a year or so.

Contrary to this popular belief that Behringer stuff falls apart after a year, I think it would be a good fit for casual use. Like any pro audio equipment, it's going to last longer as long as you take care of it. I had a 12 channell euro rack that lasted longer than my Mackie VLZ Pro which cost about 3x what the Behringer did. Behringer may not be the top choice of any pro audio guru, but anything in the lower price range for any audio gear is going to be what you pay for. Quality doesn't really matter so much until you're getting to big ticket items like $2000 mixing consoles and stuff like that. Of course there's some fluctuation in quality in the lower priced stuff, but it's pretty miniscule and a casual user or hobbyist will likely not notice any difference in a $100 eurorack vs. a $300 8 channell mackie mixer. If Behringer is what you can afford, I'm sure it will do what you need. It doesn't sound like you're making a career out of it just yet, so I think a cheaper investment would be suitable for somebody in your position.

• the filters were dope. cleaning up the sound, as far as hiss and pops, i thought was very useful. i did have problems with sound forge running on my computer sometimes. but i had a piece of crap computer.
    the equalizer on adobe was fresh. use to be able to drown out sounds and take dope ass basslines.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Contrary to this popular belief that Behringer stuff falls apart after a year, I think it would be a good fit for casual use. Like any pro audio equipment, it's going to last longer as long as you take care of it. I had a 12 channell euro rack that lasted longer than my Mackie VLZ Pro which cost about 3x what the Behringer did. Behringer may not be the top choice of any pro audio guru, but anything in the lower price range for any audio gear is going to be what you pay for. Quality doesn't really matter so much until you're getting to big ticket items like $2000 mixing consoles and stuff like that. Of course there's some fluctuation in quality in the lower priced stuff, but it's pretty miniscule and a casual user or hobbyist will likely not notice any difference in a $100 eurorack vs. a $300 8 channell mackie mixer. If Behringer is what you can afford, I'm sure it will do what you need. It doesn't sound like you're making a career out of it just yet, so I think a cheaper investment would be suitable for somebody in your position.

I can agree with your point, but My Behringer 4 channel mixer's pan pots blew out after two or three years of use. I feel like it's better to spend a little more money and get something more solid if the results will be something that your paying close attention to. But, if it's not going to be used much definitely buy the cheaper one.