What a jackass... Live 8, journalist related

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4637801.stmI fucking hate people like this guy (David Stubbs). Of course a concert isn't gonna change the world but why do you have to be so negative about it? People get to see a good show, money goes to good causes... what's the problem? It's actually pretty naive of him to think that's the full intention of the concert promoters.

Comments

• this part was ok though:

"I am very uncomfortable, for example, at the prospect of Celine Dion doling out spoonfuls of pop compassion to Africa's passive hungry."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The reality is that people just go to these shows so they can see so many big name bands for one ticket. I'm sure people (including the artisits) have a momentary good feeling about the cause, but deep down they know it just amounts to a one time donation that will only feed a few people and nothing else.

People will pack this show and watch in record numbers just for the Pink Floyd reunion.

Same thing when the Police got back together at the US festival (?). I don't think it was Live Aid but it might have been.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The reality is that people just go to these shows so they can see so many big name bands for one ticket. I'm sure people (including the artisits) have a momentary good feeling about the cause, but deep down they know it just amounts to a one time donation that will only feed a few people and nothing else.

People will pack this show and watch in record numbers just for the Pink Floyd reunion.

Same thing when the Police got back together at the US festival (?). I don't think it was Live Aid but it might have been.

yeah, you're right, they should just keep all the money and feed not even a few.

yeah, you're right, they should just keep all the money and feed not even a few.

I realize it's better than nothing. I'm just talking about the fact the the press guy is getting way too upset about this. There are charity things going on all the time that are more about people looking good. So if he really cared he could write daily articles about this stuff. Every freakin famous person (actors, sports starts etc) has their own damb charity organization. If they actually combined their efforts they could do more good, but instead they all have to have their own so they can say "look what I do". Plus, there was already a charity for the cause they chose, but they had to go start their own. So on one hand I agree with the guy, but he's just talking trash when I bet he's not doing much himself.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I realize it's better than nothing. I'm just talking about the fact the the press guy is getting way too upset about this. There are charity things going on all the time that are more about people looking good. So if he really cared he could write daily articles about this stuff. Every freakin famous person (actors, sports starts etc) has their own damb charity organization. If they actually combined their efforts they could do more good, but instead they all have to have their own so they can say "look what I do". Plus, there was already a charity for the cause they chose, but they had to go start their own. So on one hand I agree with the guy, but he's just talking trash when I bet he's not doing much himself.

oh, my bad, I thought you were talking shit just about the show. I'm like, fuck it, let em do their thang...it's a fuckload more than I'm doing so I can't really say shit but right on for them.

oh, my bad, I thought you were talking shit just about the show. I'm like, fuck it, let em do their thang...it's a fuckload more than I'm doing so I can't really say shit but right on for them.

Yea, I'm prety sure these guys all donate their time, so even though it may just be a one time donation from the profits and doesn't end the problem...... it's more than I will give in a lifetime! Plus, people usually get one hell of a show. I don't know what the festival ticket prices are but as much as some of these big bands charge for just themselves I bet this show is a deal.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    The tickets for this were given out free to the public, you had to send in a text message (i think it cost ??2 or something) and if you were selected they asked for your address and you got sent the tickets.
    I don't think they are after donations, it's an awareness thing, they want to get the focus on the G8 issue.
    The guy who wrote the article is a miserable cunt.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I was just watching it (UK).

Razorlight was on there and said '(blah blah blah blah) Bono said that. (blah blah blah blah) Bob Geldof said that. Sign that fucking petition. I said that.'

So that was quite funny cause he said 'fucking' on BBC1 at like 7:00pm Hahaaaa, plus it was just quite a cool line.

THEN Madonna comes on stage a bit later and totally tries to steal his thunder by going 'Okay I'm[/b] going to say it now..... are you people fucking ready????' and then kept just swearing and stuff to the point that I just thought, 'Stop trying to get credibility as some sort of rebel you poptart.. SOMEONE HAS ALREADY DONE IT NOW QUIT THE MOUTHIN OFF!!'

...... okay, thats my rant over.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4637801.stm

I fucking hate people like this guy (David Stubbs). Of course a concert isn't gonna change the world but why do you have to be so negative about it? People get to see a good show, money goes to good causes... what's the problem? It's actually pretty naive of him to think that's the full intention of the concert promoters.

Maybe this is the problem.

http://pilger.carlton.com/print