Drum Heads

ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm checking around for new kick and snare heads, and I thought y'all could help to point me in the right direction. I'm very much into Homer Steinweiss from the Dap Kings' sound, especially on that remix they did of "Most Likely You Go Your Way" that was posted on here a bit ago. Also I dig the tone of the kit on "Across the Atlantic" by the Budos Band. So I guess I'm looking for a very acoustic sound. Thuddy kick/Bright and snappy, but not too loud snare. Think latin funk..Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    from my experience i'd have to say its more the drum than the head....

i have 4 snare drums and some ive tried 3 different brand heads on, usually doesnt make a whole lot of difference. ive had 3 kick drums and id say the same for them too.

not completely related but for longevity i stick with evans...never broken an evans (except a kick head) yet ive gone through a good 4-5 remo snare heads.

• Thanks man.

Any opinions on a good kick/snare setup ? I've got some dough stashed away from my job this summer (the cheaper the better though), I'm willing to splurge a little bit. Brand/Model/Size/whatever.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i like more of a super snappy sound for my snare, and i rock a 70's ludwig metal snare. great great sound, but it might run you a little $$$...i got mine for free.

as far as kick goes i dont know man, im usually satisfied, if i want less BOOM and more thud i just put lots of pillows in the kick. usually i can get everything good that way.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm not super-educated ond rums, but I know a little bit. I used to rock a 68 Ludwig champagne sparkle piccolo/very short snare. It sounds like you might want a piccolo, and not a snare since they tend to be a lot brighter. One thing to remember for keeping your snare bright is to keep it properly tuned. A proper strike on the rim/head wil burn holes in acoustic noise when your drum is tuned properly, especially with a nice little piccolo.