Most unusual place you heard some heat?

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, well mine isn't exactly the most unusual but was definitely outta no-where. Back in '96 or so hit up a Wienerschnitzel to grab a quick lunch. Was there grubbing and all of a sudden "Our Generation" by Ernie Hines comes on... I look around and of course no one knows what the hell song it it, but it sure made lunch better that day... Not the rarest joint, but of all places, let alone I'm from a small city in Orange County - where shit like this is rare in itself.Care to share? Chillin at some spot and on comes some heat? Bring it batches!

Comments

• Not a "place" exactly, but the first time I heard Salt 'Hung Up' on a Turner Classic Movies promo was definitely a WTF moment...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Not a "place" exactly, but the first time I heard Salt 'Hung Up' on a Turner Classic Movies promo was definitely a WTF moment...

????????????!

• Not a "place" exactly, but the first time I heard Salt 'Hung Up' on a Turner Classic Movies promo was definitely a WTF moment...

????????????!

Really. I was sitting there, waiting for a Laurel and Hardy movies or something like that to come on, and all of a sudden

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I was in a Chinese resturaunt in Colorado sometime in the mid to late 90s and I heard "T Plays it Cool."

Recently while at my local ceviche spot, on the way back from the bathroom I passed the kitchen and they were bumpin "Straight outta Compton." First non-accordian song I've ever heard played in there.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Hispanic-owned Greek diner a few years back: The Stooges' "Scene Of the Crime."

Hispanic-owned pizza jernt earlier this year: Tenor Saw's "Golden Hen (Remix)."

Dolphin show at Shedd Aquarium last year: The instrumental for Chip E's "If You Only Knew."

B-boy circle at "Red, White, and Boom," July 4th, Columbus, Ohio, a couple years ago: Forty-five seconds of Oleta Adams "Get Here" when dude cued up the wrong track.

Neither heat nor unusual, but back in the 90s I heard "Everyday I Write The Book" in a Marshall's, and that shit just felt right.

• hook n sling in chipotle.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    First non-accordian song I've ever heard played in there.

Hilarious...

hook n sling in chipotle.

Oh I heard "Blind Alley" for the first time ( )in Bath & Body Works

• went to pick up my burger yesterday in a joint across the street(owned by a member of the Box Tops) which usually has the most insipid, jehri-curl blues shit going on(place is called Hueys and our code word for shitty 80s blues in the shop is "Hueys Blues")...there was a BANGING version of Betty Everett's "You're no good" playing, I dont know who it was, it almost sounded earlier than the OG due to the raw assed recording...asked the dude if he knew what it was, but it was on satelitte radio and the little screen thingy that tells you what is playing was busted...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Kraftwerk's "radioactivity" in a Safeway, no joke.

WTF?

• went to pick up my burger yesterday in a joint across the street(owned by a member of the Box Tops) which usually has the most insipid, jehri-curl blues shit going on(place is called Hueys and our code word for shitty 80s blues in the shop is "Hueys Blues")...there was a BANGING version of Betty Everett's "You're no good" playing, I dont know who it was, it almost sounded earlier than the OG due to the raw assed recording...asked the dude if he knew what it was, but it was on satelitte radio and the little screen thingy that tells you what is playing was busted...

It might be Barbara West (on Ronn).

It's in this mix..

• THE Hotel inside the Madalay Bay.

"...Diamond in the Back. Sun Roof Top. Diggin the scene with a gangster lean..."

My reaction.

"...Diamond in the Back. Sun Roof Top. Diggin the scene with a gangster lean..."

I was in Marshall's and I heard some bullshit ass early 90s remake of this

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Went to a rehash of the classic Zombi II at a local film fest in Orlando, and the synth line for the opening seriously destroyed me. Ill analog death, with a drum machine beat too.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I was in Marshall's and I heard the Massive Attack some bullshit ass early 90s remake of this

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Both mine are TV WTF's, Johhny Guitar Watson 'Gangster Of Love' selling deodorant & Sharon Jones 'Got A Thing On My Mind' selling chocolate bars.

• Amsterdam airport. Heard this dope soulful singer on top of a jazzy latin dance tune. Jotted down the hook "Smile In Your Eyes" and several google searches later I learned that it was a UK group called Big Bang. Really cool record.

European "elevator music" in general is waaaay better than here in the states. It's like they actually put together a playlist by someone who loves music.

yes. this happened to me and some friends when in baton rouge. took a second to place it 'cause of the setting.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    2 Places

1)
    Victor M:Solar(from The Rotations lp)
    Where:Waiting in line at Boston Market, getting a corn bread

2)
    Perfect Circle:Hands Of Time
    Where:at the movies with my wife watching "Norbit"(awhile back) It came out of nowhere.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    two days ago I heard...
    'let it all hang out' - the hombres
    Michaels Craft store

I have heard 'hook and sling' at a Chipotle before too. I think it is a standard on the in-store franchise playlist.

In Michigan there is a grocery store that plays NOTHING BUT Elvis Prestley songs all day long. And in December, its nothing but the Elvis Christmas LP on repeat (again, all day long). It must have drove the employees nuts, but as a shopper it was kind of cool.

• I once heard the intro for Gangstarrs jazz thing on radio while driving in a taxi in Khartoum, Sudan.

Dress

• "Alone Again Or" by Love at Walgreen's

haha i clicked on this thread to post this. i almost choked on my burrito.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    not really heat but:

i once heard Charles Wright "Express Yourself" playing while doing a shit at a Starbucks toilet.

lol.

• I don't do shits, I take 'em...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I don't do shits, I take 'em...

plaese to excuse my poor engrish sirrr.

haha i clicked on this thread to post this. i almost choked on my burrito.

Seriously, whoever handles the music for Chipotle has some damn good taste in music. I refused to eat at "that fake ass Mexican restaurant" for the longest time. One day I was broke and their manager - a customer of mine - gave me a free burrito coupon. While sitting in the restaurant, Portishead's "Sour Times" and De La's "Tread Water" came on back-to-back. "Tread Water?!" That wasn't even a single!

Supposedly they have one dude in Denver who's responsible for the music. He compiles the music and each store keeps the discs on rotation for a designated period of time.

• I don't do shits, I take leave[/b] 'em...

• I don't do shits, I take 'em...

to where?

• not really heat but:

i once heard Charles Wright "Express Yourself" playing while doing a shit at a Starbucks toilet.

What kind of world do we live in where "Express Yourself" isn't "the rael heat"?