i have to move

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
my landlord raised my rentand what he raised it to no longer makes it a place i want to live ini need some help as to where i can find a good spot to rent.ive been checkin on craigs list. went and saw a few spots today, but nothing really eye poppinhelp

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    drive around the areas you like and look for "For Rent" signs. Worked for me. Its always nicer to rent from a private owner than a yuppy apartment finder place in my opinion. Been with my landlord almost 3 years, and he's the shit.

• Last time I moved I looked at 25 to 30 places. Ended up getting a place that wasn't even listed on Craigslist.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    drive around the areas you like and look for "For Rent" signs. Worked for me. Its always nicer to rent from a private owner than a yuppy apartment finder place in my opinion. Been with my landlord almost 3 years, and he's the shit.

yep. last year i waited to the very last minute to try to find a new apartment, nearly moved back to my parents house. the last day i found a random, HUGE apartment that was $450, flat rate. havent left yet and the landlord is cool, even if he doesnt really fix anything.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i found a random, HUGE apartment that was $450, flat rate.

WOW! $450.00 is two monthly parking places in downtown Seattle.

i found a random, HUGE apartment that was $450, flat rate.

WOW! $450.00 is two monthly parking places in downtown Seattle.

im now convinced to never move there!

• $450 per month? Is that just for you are there 200 other people paying that too? Fuck, I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that here in Australia for an old joint that's pretty rough.

$450 per month? Is that just for you are there 200 other people paying that too? Fuck, I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that here in Australia for an old joint that's pretty rough.

LOL! I'm sayin'. Small studios in my building start at double that price. Maybe more now since I last checked.

$450 per month? Is that just for you are there 200 other people paying that too? Fuck, I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that here in Australia for an old joint that's pretty rough.

it's a 3-apartment building that used to be a grocery store apparently. mine and my best friend (who got the one above me) are 1-bedrooms, then theres a 3-bedroom/2-bath on top for $1200. its been empty since august...

my apartment is great, decent-sized bedroom, pretty large living room, large kitchen/dining area, smaller room that used to be my music room (big enough for a drum set and amps) then a decent sized bathroom. 3 big closets, and since my apartment has a door leading to the basement of the whole building, ive taken it upon myself to store my shit in there too. its pretty big, especially for $450.

p.s. i still havent even paid my rent. the landlord is cool as fuck.

• Ok, now tell me it's in the sketchiest part of town... like even cockroaches are scared to go there.

Please tell me that.

Please.

Ok, now tell me it's in the sketchiest part of town... like even cockroaches are scared to go there.

Please tell me that.

Please.

its 3 blocks from friendly downtown, surrounded by upper-class apartment buildings and condos.

im telling you, iowa is CHEAP. i grew up in des moines and i swear to god, i once saw a classified for a $50/month apartment....it WAS in the sketchiest part of town, but fifty fuck-ing dollars.

in the town next to where i got my CT90, my dad found some huuuge old storefront shops, completely remodeled, beautiful old buildings with huge windows and apartments upstairs.

each buidling was $23,000. TO BUY.

Ok, now tell me it's in the sketchiest part of town... like even cockroaches are scared to go there.

Please tell me that.

Please.

LOL! I don't think there IS a sketchy part of town where Ako lives.

Please tell me that.

Please.

the crime rate here is so low...ive never ever ever EVER EVER EVER felt threatened or unsafe.

Please tell me that.

Please.

the crime rate here is so low...ive never ever ever EVER EVER EVER felt threatened or unsafe.

Are you in Des Moines or near Des Moines?

Please tell me that.

Please.

Are you in Des Moines or near Des Moines?

ive felt threatened in des moines before.

i'm in iowa city right now. much different vibe. a lot better.

not amazing, but my last place here in Chicago was a 2 bedroom for $525. If you seek it, you will find.

not amazing, but my last place here in Chicago was a 2 bedroom for $525. If you seek it, you will find.

In Chicago? Did that include a roof and windows?

it was a decent size place. Mice though. Southside Chicago is where you wanna be for the affordable living.

it was a decent size place. Mice though. Southside Chicago is where you wanna be for the affordable living.

i was just gonna ask about chicago living cost. sounds great...definitely at the top of my "places to move next" list.

• Ok, now tell me it's in the sketchiest part of town... like even cockroaches are scared to go there.

Please tell me that.

Please.

Theres apartments out on highway 1, towards Sycamore Mall (how about that Frickin' place, btw?) sketchy as hell. There used to be a little drug problem in that town (Iowa City is a nice convenient half way point between Omaha and Chicago on I-80) and those apts is where shit went down.

I remember returning a movie over there once and out in front of those apts a group of about 50, all decked out in red (I mean RED) pounding 40s, bbqing, and blasting (I mean BLASTING) gangsta rap (I know, I sound white) on a Sunday afternoon.

Quite a scene: On one side of the road you got Iowa families going to the video store, and on the other side you got a scene right out the movie Colors.

I used to dj at The Airliner and a lot of those dudes would hang there, many from LA, we would find knives stuck under the bar, and the cops said they were sure there was more firepower in that bar on Wednesday night than the entire IC police force had!

I only mention this because its small town Iowa, crazy.

Please tell me that.

Please.

Theres apartments out on highway 1, towards Sycamore Mall (how about that Frickin' place, btw?) sketchy as hell. There used to be a little drug problem in that town (Iowa City is a nice convenient half way point between Omaha and Chicago on I-80) and those apts is where shit went down.

I remember returning a movie over there once and out in front of those apts a group of about 50, all decked out in red (I mean RED) pounding 40s, bbqing, and blasting (I mean BLASTING) gangsta rap (I know, I sound white) on a Sunday afternoon.

Quite a scene: On one side of the road you got Iowa families going to the video store, and on the other side you got a scene right out the movie Colors.

I used to dj at The Airliner and a lot of those dudes would hang there, many from LA, we would find knives stuck under the bar, and the cops said they were sure there was more firepower in that bar on Wednesday night than the entire IC police force had!

insane, yeah those places seemed pretty sketchy whenever id deliver pizza out there, i guess i just forgot about that whole part of town. there were times when dudes wouldnt even answer the door, i was never sure what that was all about...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    nice
    $450/$550 is not a reality in miami unless you want to live somwhere you have to walk to the store with a gun in your waistband. ive kinda graduated from those kinds of neighborhoods.
    ill check the drive around method. havent really done that too much since i dont have much free time.

good looks

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Every time I read the title to this thread I think to myself, "I like to MOVE IT MOVE IT."

Whattup, dude.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    you lumin, you trying to stay on the beach still or move on to the mainland? Looking for a one or two bedroom? My boy just got a 2 bedroom in the gables (an old building but prime location either way, million dollar neighbors) for 900, you cant even find those prices in my hood.

carlos p

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you lumin, you trying to stay on the beach still or move on to the mainland? Looking for a one or two bedroom? My boy just got a 2 bedroom in the gables (an old building but prime location either way, million dollar neighbors) for 900, you cant even find those prices in my hood.

carlos p

That a great price to live in the gables, Although I can't stand the gables yuppie ass crowd. A buddy of mines rents a 3/2 house in Carol City for $1000 a month. Carol City is def not miami beach though!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im tryin to move closer to my day job downtown. im really over the beach right now. im seeing spots for 900. smaller studios and one bedrooms.
    found a spot right on the bay yesterday that looks good. 975 right on the water and 5 minutes from work.
    i really dont like the kitchen though. the joint is so slim that the refridgerator door wont open all the way.
    it does have covered parking though.

carol city is too far north for me.
    miami lakes is as well. both would be a bitch gettin downtown by 8 am.
    gables isnt too too bad.
    i may end up lookin in that area. i too dislike the yup crowd out there.

and having to move has no bearing on how much i like to move it move it.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Thats a real fucked up avatar you have there.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks!

• I used to dj at The Airliner and a lot of those dudes would hang there, many from LA, we would find knives stuck under the bar, and the cops said they were sure there was more firepower in that bar on Wednesday night than the entire IC police force had!

haha...I djed at that place for a night my homeboy Gaslamp and Daddy Kev do there....at the last minute Sage Francis was added to the bill...and as a result there was massive amounts of kids there...the line was super long, and they weren't letting people in right away because the sound wasn't working...

so....I guess at the end of the line a car rolls up on some kids (a blue civic I believe)...and it has tinted windows...the windows come down about 4-5 inches, and the barrel of a shotgun comes out...followed by a hand...asking them for all their money...:ewef: (these kids may have had skulls on their hoodies, but they soon had shit in their pants...)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Where you talking about? Seems like it's tough to find anything for less than $800 per person unless you want borderline squalor. I pay a TON in rent but I don't have to travel that far for my work, so I can justify the expense.

Pilsen