Post Stories About Radio Station Record Finds

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I also got a few boxes of 45s from a hamilton station while I lived there

Ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Poor b'stard. I GREW UP in Hamilton. It sucked on the music tip - aside from a semi OK punk (ish) scene.

Kind of linked to your thread Holmes - worst music related use of a landfill or similar I've heard of in NZ is when the US Navy pulled out of Wellington in the late 60s...

They were trying to reduce the amount of stuff they were going to take back to the US, so lined up all the band's instruments and gear - whch according to old musicians in WGTN contained beatuiful wurlitzer 120s, gretsch drum kits, selmer saxophones and top of the line brass, 8 track tape recorders, ribbon mics, OG amps / guitars and basses etc and chucked the lot into the harbour. Shit.

Groovy had a bunch of ex-radio station stock in those shiments they were bringing in... I pulled 3 copies of the Gator soundtrack from there for a few dollars each but that's about it
    Yeah, Hamilton sucks for sure, I did my 4 years tertiary there, was pretty involved with the Straight Edge scene there, then moved to AK & became a hermit . They had some cool record stores for a bit if you like rock, but not anymore.
    That Wellington story is next level "end of the vietnam war, push tanks off the dock steez".
    I got some pretty standard soul/funk LPs from that radio station stock too, nothing extraordinary, I think it's from a store supply so not direct from the station.
    Best was the US armed forces radio station in Christchurch's 45 library that Echo in Chch got & left pretty complete until Groovy brought it to AK the other year, bolstered my rare 45s for sure. Untouched soul & funk 45s for days.

• Real Groovy turned up a lot of the old NZBC stock, marked as below

• a quarter a piece to eBay grippers.
    like you?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    a quarter a piece to eBay grippers.
    like you?

Exactly.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Real Groovy turned up a lot of the old NZBC stock, marked as below

I love this cut. I don't have the 7 though - it's on their first album.