Seoul, Korea digging spots?

ddownddown 65 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone know any digging spots in Seoul, Korea? I found a couple places but they mostly have classical or barbra streisand, all kind of overpriced.Any good korean records I should be looking for?Thanks.

Comments

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Who knows? Say hi to Itaewon for me though.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Ha itaewon is my least favorite place in korea.

I think I'll give up on the digging here. Too hot/humid.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ha itaewon is my least favorite place in korea.

I think I'll give up on the digging here. Too hot/humid.

I think I'll be there in the fall if not sooner, so if you find anything then let me know.

Actually there is like a huge music market by chongno 3 ga, kinda by pagoda park and behind the 7 11. before the alley with all the old stuff (can't remember the name). Anyways, i don't think there's really any signs or anything, but it looks like a big parking structure and when you go in there are like tons of instrument dealers and stuff. its HUGE. I get that would be a good place to get some leads on records, since they are all musicians and shit.

Also I remember seeing some records at a musical instrument shop in Songtan, but that was almost 10 years ago.

• vhsvhs 18 Posts
    I hit up that giant stadium flea market(part of dongdaemun market? pardon the spelling and lack of clear memory) lotta overpriced mouldy crapola, there's gotta be more spots though...I'm living bout 4 hours from Seoul so I don't always get a chance to peep it. Word to the humidty, it ain't ez diggin on those dirty floors in the motionless hot sticky air. Most of the flea market dealers I've dealt with haven't been too friendly either. Kinda reminds me of those scetchy flea market dudes back home in Vancouver! I plan to hit Seoul again proper in the fall, in the meantime I've been peeking at the undeground markets in my own city of Ulsan, nothin' yet but locals tell me most main cities should have a flea market with records tucked away in those underground walkway/market things. Yo ddown did it seem like most records you've run into are bout 5000 won? Seems like a flat going rate to me so far, I had hopes of scoring shit for pocket change...ain't happened yet. I'm near Busan and Daegu and I'll be cheggin those cities out before I chegg outta this country in early-ish 2006. If I find any spots I'll pass along da info. I was in Itaewon about a month ago, lovin' that Thai Orchid food spot...I'm living in the undustrial east coast underbelly and we got nothin' like that out here. Straight up Kimchi bokkumbap styles 24 7. Peeez.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Thanks, Dizzy Bull and vhs!

Yeah, I checked out all the places you mentioned and some underground/subway-ish spots in myungdong. I found records, but they were the kind that we already mentioned. And yes, vhs, almost all were priced at 5000. I found a couple places where the korean records (mostly early 90s junk) were being sold for 3000, though. Most of the non-korean records were of the sinatra/paul anka/pop vocals variety, with some 80s heavy metal. And some leo sayer.

One interesting thing - one record store in myungdong converted one of its floors to a japanese language cafe (?) so I was digging while a bunch of japanese people were watching me. Kind of uncomfortable.

> Straight up Kimchi bokkumbap styles 24 7.

Ha. I'm sorry to hear that. But busan is known for its seafood (if you're into that), so you should check that out.

Thanks again, fellas.

(I'll let you know if I find anything.)