KZSC Swap Wrap-Up and Finds

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
This weekend was dope as hell - thanks to everyone who made it out to the swap.It's looking like we're going to do it again in the Spring with more sellers and more publicity in the South Bay and beyond. We really want to build this into THE record swap for the area and this weekend was a big step in that direction.Soulstrut was in full effect in U-Shaped selling formation - plkbryn, tick_tickler, kidinquisitive, shitzr and myself all selling - after looking through the other sellers stuff, we really were THE table to be at. It was good being on the other side of the table with all of you guys - big ups to plkbryn for bringing the full-on listening station.Some highlights:- IVAN'S CRAZY $5 SCORE. You won't believe it till you see it.- The one and only kidinquisitive buying all of tick_tickler's records after looking at them for about two minutes.- Old man who examined a scratch record with a naked woman on it for well over two minutes.- A surprise appearance by Age and company, hookin' it up with the goodies and bringing the raer.- Solid attendance - Everyone made some good money - I think the consensus was that it was much easier to get rid of normal non-raers here than at KUSF.- Making over 800 dollars for KZSC. Sellers, the cost of your tables goes directly towards the operating costs of our station. Thanks!Some non-highlights:- smelly DVD and worthless records dealer breaking a window with a table. - Missing Davesrecords! I heard from people that you stopped by but I never got to say whats up. Hope you enjoy your stay in Santa Cruz.- The mashup experience. My apologies for the girl pants hipster who played unlistenable mashups for a half hour. Now for some finds to show everyone who didn't make it why they really should come next year:I love all these records. I'd never heard Soul Generation before - I need to find a better copy now, great funk/sweet soul. Horace Andy isn't OG JA but still great.That Bert Jansch is essential. What a great record. I haven't even gotten around to listening to Port Authority yet.I couldn't resist the super-clean copy of AEIOU.Doubles for the bootleggin break, top right is "Gospel Ship I", Jesus stuff that has one good cut.Goddamn Shaft in Africa is good. On Any Sunday is a really solid soundtrack with some nice open basslines. Thanks for the minty copy Age!Los Pajaros is a limited reissue, Chilean psych-folk sung in English. Great record.Both sides of this record are dope as hell. Thanks plkbryn!

Comments

• damn...you came up!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    damn...you came up!

Yeah - not the cleanest copies but I'm no condition snob. Mad props to Jesse for giving me a great deal. After selling I don't think I ended up spending more than $100.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I heart record shows/swaps.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    - IVAN'S CRAZY $5 SCORE. You won't believe it till you see it.

Yeah man... I didn't expect to come up like that!

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Ah booyah!

I bought some records too, but this was clearly the highlight

• the swap was good times, nice to finally link some faces with names. definitely looking forward to the next one, thanks spelunk! and ferrari definitely lucked out with that find -- still sealed!

• Actually there were several show attendees sporting that Jamariquoi look. I forgot how corny some USCS students can be! Nice to meet plkbryn and davesrecords and see everyone else again. I feel totally overwhelmed right now with stacks and stacks of records I've never heard before waiting for a spin.

Actually there were several show attendees sporting that Jamariquoi look. I forgot how corny some UCSC students can be! Nice to meet plkbryn and davesrecords and see everyone else again. I feel totally overwhelmed right now with stacks and stacks of records I've never heard before waiting for a spin.

Yeah, uh I think your listening stack is most properly measured with a yard stick.

My favorite corny Santa Cruz dude was the stoner who asked me for Jazz reccomendations. I spoke his language and told him I'd "totally hook it up with a phat stack" for five bucks. I got rid of a lot of junk that way.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    + still can't believe how many chicks there were at a record show. CUTE chicks no less.

+ age once again proving that he's THAT dude with his generosity (thanks man!).

+ chopping it up with ss fam (good meeting you r*an).

+ $3 sealed amazing jewel t "school of hardknocks" & $1 egg s/t

+ gnarly trades

+ making money

- dj girl pants

kidinquisitive's baller move was the highlight.

• + still can't believe how many chicks there were at a record show. CUTE chicks buying obscure jazz and soul records no less.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    + still can't believe how many chicks there were at a record show. CUTE chicks buying obscure jazz and soul records no less.

aaaaaahhh, if only i were 14 years younger and single...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    + still can't believe how many chicks there were at a record show. CUTE chicks buying obscure jazz and soul records no less.

that's pretty sexy

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Shit is weak! I reserve the right to elbow any cute chick in the kidneys the moment she starts to gripppp. nO RoOm 4 ChIValRy In dA GAmE. The_mack taught me that.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    why must I cry?

sounds like the show went really well. Grats spelunk!
    i left messages but i think that the homies did not make it out

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Shit is weak! I reserve the right to elbow any cute chick in the kidneys the moment she starts to gripppp. nO RoOm 4 ChIValRy In dA GAmE. The_mack taught me that.

although i thought the above was AWESOME,

pussy > records

Yeah man, that Jewel T is DOPE and the cover is a classic for sure.

And yes I was pretty shocked to see some girls at the show. A lot of people I only see drunk and wouldn't have ever thought would be out buying records.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm bummed I couldn't make it, sounds like it was a good time. I did get to scope out a pretty sick gospel collection yesterday though, so I got my record fix. Don't think I went through even half of it. Yikes.

• I was a little scared to introduce myself to the soulstrut contingent because I have a show on KZSC that I named "Soul Struttin" back when I thought I'd never have to answer to actual strutters -- turns out there was one right under my nose.

But some nice finds, thanks Spelunk and everyone who showed up! Pllease, let's do it again in the spring.

• this thread is going to getting no props as of right now

lets see some fuckin record pron!!!

this thread is going to getting no props as of right now

Saying. I know an OG Marley Scratch was pulled. Lots of crazy stuff from Jesse too.

• freal.you are absolved of blame...but the rest of the califolk are being remiss in their soulstrut obligations

• OK Tony, just for you...

All the LP's were from Tick Tickler's boxes (there about another 5 or 6 boxes of stuff stashed in my closet now but these were some of the better titles). Most of these are decent listening copies in the VG to VG+ range. Major thanks to Seth for finding all these in the field to begin with and then agreeing to sell them to me at a very fair price. There weren't many 45s at the show but I picked these up from Plkbryn.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    whoa. that should make Tony happy.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    this thread is going to getting no props as of right now

What... the Jamiroquai skateboarding poster ain't doing it for ya?

I'm in Boston right now so I can't take pics of my finds. Mostly some standard soul LPs like Sylvers I and some international stuff. The main highlight would be the Jimmy Salcedo LP from Colombia. Thanks Age... trade almost complete!

• I hope that one record wasn't actually stolen from KUSP.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Jimmy Salcedo LP from Colombia

Which one?

The one with Que Lindo Es Columbia & Mira?

I seriously doubt it. A lot of radio stations would write shit like "stolen from WKPR" but then sell off all their records when they no longer have use for the format.

I hope that one record wasn't actually stolen from KUSP.

Fall back. Just like us at KZSC, KUSP purges records and CDs every year that they don't want anymore. Sometimes they make mistakes and get rid of some valuable and good stuff. I'm sure that's how S**h got it - dude is the most straight up of all record dudes I've met. Chill with the suspicion.

I seriously doubt it. A lot of radio stations would write shit like "stolen from WKPR" but then sell off all their records when they no longer have use for the format.

I bought that record almost 10 years ago at a KZSC swap. OldJeez needs a stat.

I hope that one record wasn't actually stolen from KUSP.

We do this to every CD and record we get at the station.

• I'm not suspectodisrespectifaccusatoryistic, but they're usually further altered when purged. And yeah, KZSC does purge once a year, KUSP purged some vinyl years ago, but not annually.

Chill, dudes, we still cool.