Popular bands you know almost nothing about

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
So what are some popular bands you should know about but don't. For me it's The Beatles (). Never really got into them, don't think I even own any of their albums. I know the music is good but it's simply one of those bands that is so omnipresent that I never really felt a need or desire to get into their music.

I was playing a board game once and my turn came up and I had to sing the tune from Yesterday. I didn't even know what song it was. Ouch!

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Pablo Cruise

Orleans

Starcastle

Englebert Humperdink

Melissa Manchester

Laura Brannigan

Paul Williams (what's with this little hobbit pedophile lookin creep?)

Leon Russell

Johnny Winter

Gino Vanelli

I honestly can't name one song from any of these artists (I mean I'm sure Englebert covered Walk On By or something) but they had to be million sellers as they're litterally EVERYWHERE.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

GENIUS

GENIUS

name a song! while you're at it, name a song from each of these listed. I'm sure I know one or recognize it a little.

I coudn't even name a leo sayer song until RAJ hipped me to that "Dancin" song and sure enough... "Ohhhhhhh yeah, THAT song."

help me out.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I remember when Gino Vannelli's hit "Living Inside Myself" was on the radio back in the day and one of my friends was really into it. Even then I was thinking to myself, "B*tch please."

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE IS OUT ON DVD HOMIE!!!

Got mine for like $7 at DeepDiscountDVD.com when they had their 20% off sale.

I really hated the music in the movie the first time I saw it, but now I love that soundtrack. Great over-the-top glam blazing melodrama singersongwriting beats.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Paul Williams

Paul Williams wrote "We've only just begun" by The Carpenters. You gotta know that song hommie.

• Pablo Cruise

Orleans

Starcastle

Englebert Humperdink

Melissa Manchester

Laura Brannigan

Leon Russell

Johnny Winter

Gino Vanelli

I honestly can't name one song from any of these artists (I mean I'm sure Englebert covered Walk On By or something) but they had to be million sellers as they're litterally EVERYWHERE.

Leon Russell's first two albums, 'Leon Russell' and 'Leon Russell & The Shelter People" are both excellent rock'n'roll.

Pablo Cruise
    I'm stumped but Allmusic or whatever says that when the 80s & new wave rolled around, they fell out of favor and their music was used on ABC sports shows. Ironic considering that lots of 80s-loving hipsters would probably love an XS shirt with the Pablo Cruise logo on it. BTW which island is Pablo? Or is their name some gay codeword I don't know about.

Orleans
    I'm stumped and their name is Google-proof. Next.

Starcastle
    Who?

Englebert Humperdink
    Never heard him. I think he was invented for those who thought Tom Jones was too black, which included my parents, apparently. I think I have a picture of him with the Rolling Stones.

Melissa Manchester
    "Don't Cry Out Loud"
    Shig plaese have this on tap for LA Koreatown Karaoke East Coast Showcase 2005

Laura Brannigan
    Ch*d I'm amazed.
    "GLORIA"!!!
    "SELF CONTROL"!!!! (video had some mimes in it I think)
    Get your VH1 weight up

I think he was Oliver in the Brady Bunch

Leon Russell
    If he's not dead, Leon is real big at Bonnaroo I'm sure of it. Archaic could tell you more if he was here.

Johnny Winter
    Matt Rowe (apparently playing the time-honored "Blues-Rock Drinking Game") at MusicTap.net says:

Second Winter is a hotbed of blues-rock.?? With the first set of guitar rifts blasting, ???Memory Pain??? past the grille of your speakers, somehow you just know that this blues-rock guitarist that hails from Mississippi and who has a made-for-blues voice would be otherworldly.?? And so he has become, a saint amongst the illuminati of blues-rock aficionados.?? With solid schooling, Johnny Winter was 70s blues-rock, the like that many owe their styles to.

In other words, his brother did "Frankenstein."

Gino Vanelli
    "Living Inside Myself" bitch please

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Smiths & The Cure.

The Smiths & The Cure.

Don't play dumb. You're on record as using this as alterna-girl catnip.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    The Smiths & The Cure.

Coldplay & Oasis

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Smiths & The Cure.

With my extensive knowledge of the songs

"Pictures of You"
    "How Soon Is Now"
    "Let's Go To Bed"

and the other two or thee joints that I forget the name of, I would technically say I "know almost nothing about" Smiths and Cure. Don't get me wrong though, I will break out those guns to let a hot girl know that "I wear black because it matches the color of my mood" and will proceed to let her fall in love with me. But still...

This post is breaking Bam's heart.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The Smiths & The Cure.

Fucking SS quote of the day!

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    So, I'm looking at the billboard hot 100, and here is my list of "artists" that I've either never heard of, or I've heard of but couldn't name 1 song that they sing:

Bo Bice
    Carrie Underwood
    The Pussycat Dolls
    Pretty Ricky
    Rihanna
    Lifehouse
    Bobby Valentino
    3 Doors Down
    The Killers
    Papa Roach
    Howie Day
    D.H.T.
    Baby Bash Featuring Akon
    Gavin DeGraw
    The Game
    Webbie Featuring Bun B
    Toby Keith
    Rascal Flatts
    Fantasia
    Keith Urban
    Frankie J
    Tim McGraw
    Sugarland
    Mike Jones
    Olivia

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    THE BEETLES

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Project Blowed

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Queens of the Stone Age

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Project Blowed

come to LA and I'll school ya. Be sure to bring your carpet bag, a backpack, and a loaded flaregun.

as for me I know about every single group thats ever recorded in the last 31 years except Dexy's Midnight Runners[/b]

• So, I'm looking at the billboard hot 100, and here is my list of "artists" that I've either never heard of, or I've heard of but couldn't name 1 song that they sing:

Bo Bice
    Carrie Underwood
    The Pussycat Dolls
    Pretty Ricky
    Rihanna
    Lifehouse
    Bobby Valentino
    3 Doors Down
    The Killers
    Papa Roach
    Howie Day
    D.H.T.
    Baby Bash Featuring Akon
    Gavin DeGraw
    The Game
    Webbie Featuring Bun B
    Toby Keith
    Rascal Flatts
    Fantasia
    Keith Urban
    Frankie J
    Tim McGraw
    Sugarland
    Mike Jones
    Olivia

...but strangely enough, you own Englebert Humperdink's entire catalogue

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    So, I'm looking at the billboard hot 100, and here is my list of "artists" that I've either never heard of, or I've heard of but couldn't name 1 song that they sing:

Bo Bice
    Carrie Underwood
    The Pussycat Dolls
    Pretty Ricky
    Rihanna
    Lifehouse
    Bobby Valentino
    3 Doors Down
    The Killers
    Papa Roach
    Howie Day
    D.H.T.
    Baby Bash Featuring Akon
    Gavin DeGraw
    The Game
    Webbie Featuring Bun B
    Toby Keith
    Rascal Flatts
    Fantasia
    Keith Urban
    Frankie J
    Tim McGraw
    Sugarland
    Mike Jones
    Olivia

Cosign. Still havn't heard The Game. The Pussycat Dolls are a prime reson I ignore all this stuff, they aren't even a real band. American Idol contestants? Blech! I'm sure I've heard a Killers song on the radio, but I'm sure it sounded like every other song that I don't care about.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Bo Bice
    Carrie Underwood
    The Pussycat Dolls
    Pretty Ricky
    Rihanna
    Lifehouse
    Bobby Valentino
    3 Doors Down
    The Killers
    Papa Roach
    Howie Day
    D.H.T.
    Baby Bash Featuring Akon
    Gavin DeGraw
    The Game
    Webbie Featuring Bun B
    Toby Keith
    Rascal Flatts
    Fantasia
    Keith Urban
    Frankie J
    Tim McGraw
    Sugarland
    Mike Jones
    Olivia

The Beatles

Outside of the classic rock station hits, the covers I know, and the few LPs I kept of Mom's I'm in the same boat. And I really don't care to familiarize myself with all their early-mid 60s "she love's you yeah yeah yeah" period.

But, for the heads that don't be knowin the deal, just buy Revolver. Very Soulstrut-friendly. Then eat a 10-strip, wrap your naked body in pink saran wrap, tune your tv to a test pattern before setting it on fire and dancing around it while you bump "Tomorrow Never Knows." Trust me.

Pablo Cruise

I had a downstairs neighbor who would blast this so loud I could not turn my stereo up loud enough to drown it out. (I had to wait till 6 am then lay the speakers on the floor.) Sorry I can't remember what they sounded like beyond Marina Rock and something about a Place In The Sun or something like that.

Orleans
    You're The One. Annoying 1# hit turned into annoying tv theme song. The leader had been Bonnie Raitt's guitar player when she put her first band together. I saw her perform many times back in those days.

Starcastle
    Who?

Englebert Humperdink
    So he is not Tom Jones?

Melissa Manchester

Laura Brannigan
    I've sold their records so someone knows.

Didn't he write the songs?

Leon Russell
    One really big hit about being on a tightrope. Came out the same time as Dr Johns Right Place and has a similiar sound. Rose to fame as a Mad Dog in Joe Crocker's Mad Dogs And Englishmen band. As mentioned his first 2 records are real good as well as one called Stop All That Jazz or something like that with a cover we could use in a Racist Covers thread. He wrote the uncharistic (for him) standard Song For You.

Johnny Winter
    My brother brought his first record home from college and declared "this is the blue eyed albino, who plays like Robert Johnson. Bob Dylan refused to follow him on stage because he is so great." Had a great rock hit; Rock And Roll Hoochie Coo. Did a lot of heroin. Orchestrated Muddy Waters come back after Chess records dropped him. Or more importantly; his brother did Frankenstien.

Gino Vanelli
    Count yourself lucky.

Starcastle
    Who?

that's my question. all I have to go on are these dollar bin eyesores:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think it's safe to say that Starcastle (a goofy art-rock band ala Yes) were one of those artists who sold records, had a modest amount of fame, and you always see the albums in the field, but never had a hit single or at least a trademark song that most know them from.

Others in that same boat:

Al Kooper

Jackie Lomax

Wishbone Ash

Mahogany Rush

Angel

Genya Ravan

Starz (who actually DID have a minor hit - "Cherry Baby" - but who remembers?)

I don't know who would be modern-day examples, but it seems like the '70's were full of almost-famous artists like these.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Johnny Winter
    My brother brought his first record home from college and declared "this is the blue eyed albino, who plays like Robert Johnson. Bob Dylan refused to follow him on stage because he is so great." Had a great rock hit; Rock And Roll Hoochie Coo. Did a lot of heroin. Orchestrated Muddy Waters come back after Chess records dropped him. Or more importantly; his brother did Frankenstien.

Winter brothers are great, but wasn't "Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo" done by Rick Derringer, the lead guitarist from Johnny's band? Pretty sure about that.

Also, Dan Hartman was in that band as well.

Johnny Winter

Winter brothers are great, but wasn't "Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo" done by Rick Derringer, the lead guitarist from Johnny's band? Pretty sure about that.

Yeah, his brother did Frankenstien.

I wanted to ask: I was in a record store the other day. They were playing the most annoying Beatlesque record. Every song sounded like they took a Beatles song and wrote an alternate lyric and changed the melody slightly to make it sound more Beatlelike. I meant to check with the clerk about what we were listening to. So was that Oasis? I'm not talking about Revolver Beatles or White Album Beatles or Rock and Roll Beatles, I'm talking about Yeah Yeah Yeah Beatles. Was that Oasis?

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard a White Stripes record or seen a video. If you played them for me I couldn't tell you if it was them or not. I did open spinnin' garage records for them when they came here a few years back and I thought they sucked.

I know I'll get bashed for this but I was watching that terrible movie "Be Cool" with my girl the other night I thought the whole time I was looking at Coolio. My girl tripped on me hard as hell and said "That's Andre from Outkast idiot!." I could have sworn it was Coolio.

Johnny Winter

I can't find R&RHC but here is a Johnny Winter break .

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• I don't think I've ever heard a White Stripes record or seen a video. If you played them for me I couldn't tell you if it was them or not. I did open spinnin' garage records for them when they came here a few years back and I thought they sucked.

i now know she has a nice rack