red wines.. what'll it be

rookrook 357 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
as i mature wine seems to taste better n better, tonight i drank a nice bottle of 10 dollar cab sav by myself, and fellin fine what is other good wines?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

^^^

• Grand Cru[/b] = deep pockets

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Last night I made Short Ribs braised in two bottles of cheap Californian Cabernet Savingon.

Delicious.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I fucks with the Shafer myself, or Cakebread if I can find it.

• been down with the cycles gladiator cab as of late. $9 a bottle..it's a good look.

What Ive been drinkin alot of.

• goats du rohne (sp?) is a very tasty cheap bottle...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't like reds that much, BUT the best bottle of red I've had recently was Paul Jaboulet.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    goats du rohne (sp?) is a very tasty cheap bottle...

Cote Du Rhone I think its called. Your French skills are

• Options
    drank a cakebread cab sav last night.
    I go to UCDAVIS and take some Viticulture and enology classes.

I think most winos are pompous. After sitting in the classes and shit I believe that they are trippin.

it is funny to see people act.

i went wine tasting today, i enjoyed myself.
    way cool approach to -COOH though.

peace

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I had a couple glasses of Trinchero Merlot last night at dinner. Nothing fancy, but it was one of the better wines I've had lately.

• I'm drinking this right now

except 2006

I like Owen Roe wines in general, especially the Yakima Valley Red. I've been drinking a bunch of Washington wines like Cadence, Betz, Andrew Will, etc. They're generally more affordable and delicious. I'm a big $20-$50 wine advocate. I'll drink an everyday $10 bottle, and like them still, but I think you can really step up if you're willing to put out a bit more. That doesn't mean every $50 bottle is good. A lot of times $10 bottles are just as good, but if you do a bit of research, as with Syms, an educated consumer is the best customer. I rely on my baller bro-in-law for executive expense account wines (DRC, Mouton, d'Yquem ). Now if my sis would only deliver neph #2 already, we could start wine nights again.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

the barossa valley is 20 minutes from my crib, some of the worlds best red wines

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Nah, there's a cheap wine with that name...

• goats du rohne (sp?) is a very tasty cheap bottle...

http://www.madwine.com/godurored20.html

mind your manners, son

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    the days are gettin cold so warm up with a nice
    Marc de bourgonne.

hiphop fools dont know the deal.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

It's goats do roam. As a rule of thumb I steer clear of wines that aren't from France. That's not to say that only French wines are good, but being that I'm not an incredibly educated wine consumer, the odds are pretty good over there.

French wines are great because the bottle will tell you a lot as long as you know how to decipher it. Wine is closely regulated by the government over there, which is a very good look for the consumer. there are laws fro what grapes can be grown where if you want to use a certain name on your bottle. they also have laws on harvest times, alcohol level, yields, et cetera which really contributes to a good product. With a little bit of research its easy to become an educated wine consumer.

One crucial thing to remember when drinking wines is that full bodied heavy wines are not meant to be drank alone. Instead, they should be eaten with very fatty foods. Tannin is a chemical component found in plants (banan peels, grape seeds, et cetera) that dries the mouth out. Tannin and fat are the yin and yang of the mouth world. Tannin breaks down fat. Pair light wines with light foods, and hevay wines with heavy rich foods. Drink light wines alone, but don't drink heavy wines alone.

Try some of these French reds:

Bourgougne (also called Burgundy): Made from pinto noir grapes. Very light, usually drunk relatively young. Tends to have more of a fruit forward taste, not as heavy or tannic as most red wines.

Bordeaux: Generally heavier red wines that have a huge variance in terms of body, flavor, and tannin. These wines are made from a blend of at least two the three different varietals (merlot, cabernet sauvignon, and cabernet franc). These wines will generally be medium to heavy bodied.

Chateaunaf (sp?) du Pape: Similar to Bordeaux in the fact that they are blends, and thus vary greatly. However, these wines are made from a blend of up to thirteen different grapes. Generally these wines will be medium to full bodied with lots of nice earthy notes as they come from a dry climate with high levels of clay in the soil.

the days are gettin cold so warm up with a nice
    Marc de bourgonne.

hiphop fools dont know the deal.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    As a rule of thumb I steer clear of wines that aren't from France.

Then you will be missing these tasty little mothefuckers:

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Wine Pron

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    As a rule of thumb I steer clear of wines that aren't from France.

Then you will be missing these tasty little mothefuckers:

I'm always willing to make acceptions for good recommendations. I drink other wines, but I'm usually sipping on some French juice.

The restaurant I used to work at sold that Chateau Rothschild with the banned Balthus label. They picked up a few cases at an auction. I think it went for $475. One night some dude ordered two bottles.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Serious, "Goats Do Roam"???? I stand corrected, but horrible name for a wine.

• yep...pretty cheesy indeed...pardon the "son" calling, i was buzzed ansd laughing at the whole thing!
    (ah...more level-headed adultness)