Budapest Digging Spots?!?!

el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
HeyI know i asked about Madrid before, but i found out yesterday that it's not gonna happen. Instead i now have confirmed flights to Budapest, Hungary.Does anyone know of any record shops, flea markets etc... they can recommend. Or in fact anything at they recommend in the city?Any help is appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    they got some hot nasty bitches in budapest mang.

There is plenty to dig out there.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    i lived in budapest for 10 months in 95-96 and had a great fucking time. although it was before i was a compulsive record shopper so i can't give you any advice there. here's some other shit though.

have at least one ice-cold shot of unicum (if you drink), a hungarian liquor. if you like it, i don't recommend having more than 3 shots in a night cause that shit will tear you apart.

there's a really good traditional hungarian restaurant not far from moskva ter (moscow square) call saint jupat (pronounced you-pot). ask around near the subway stop at moskva ter.

go to hotel gellert and chill in the natural hot baths there. fucking awesome. if you want to avoid getting hit on by other dudes (which occassionally happens) then go with a homie to chill.

there's a great vegetarian spot near oktagon square called "falafel". it's pretty fucking hard to be a vegetarian in budapest, so i ate at this place a lot.

if you're into classical, there are free concerts of students on sundays at liszt ferenc music school.

check out margaret island, sweet park there.

if other things come to me i'll add to this.

also: check out the artist colony szentendre, which is about an hour away on the suburban train (the green line in buda, goes through obuda)

also an "s" by itself is the sound "sh" while "sz" is the english "s" sound. this is pretty key since "sor" means beer while if you pronounce it like the english "sore" then it sounds a lot like the hungarian word for "shit". in my first couple of days there i ordered a mug of shit once and it was embarassing but also hilarious.

Hey

I know i asked about Madrid before, but i found out yesterday that it's not gonna happen. Instead i now have confirmed flights to Budapest, Hungary.

Does anyone know of any record shops, flea markets etc... they can recommend. Or in fact anything at they recommend in the city?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• have at least one ice-cold shot of unicum (if you drink)

Ayo

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Dope, thanks for all the information, i didn't know a lot about the place to be honest but i'm excited about going now. Sounds like it could be fun.

• james1skijames1ski 22 Posts
    Here's some spots I visited and a few others courtesy of the good peoples at vinylvulture.

Budapest is incredible, hope you have heaps of fun.

Record spots:

Laci basci's record store
    Andrassy ut 46

Afrofilia Records
    1055 M??zeum k??r??t 7

Newport Records, Terez Korut 47.

Pillecolor, Terez Korut 21.

Dob Records, Szent Istvan Korut 23

Lemek Dokk, Horansky Utca 27

A few other non record spots that I enjoyed:

Gundel
    allatkerti ut 2 (an amazing place to eat)

Gerbaud
    Paulay Ede utca 7 (incredible pastry/coffee place)

Piaf
    VI. Nagymező u. 25. (crazy afterhours type of spot, where you can booze till well after the sun comes up).

Terrorhasa
    Andr??ssy ??t 60 (a museum about what happened to the Hungarian peoples during nazism and communism).

Peace!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    are you goin with Madlib?

Wicked! thanks for that, just the kind of list i needed, that should keep me busy.

The_Mack aka The Vanilla Boy Wonder - Yes, Madlib is going with me, he's coiled up in my suitcase in the shape of a raer Brazilian 45 that he might have used for his Soundpiece Antidote cd.

• Yes, Madlib is going with me, he's coiled up in my suitcase in the shape of a raer Brazilian 45 that he might have used for his Soundpiece Antidote cd.

I'm assuming you mean your "What Would Madlib Do?" bracelet, as opposed to Madlib himself?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    plaese send all cheap bin Kati Kovac and Zalatnay sides to Memphis plaese

I'm assuming you mean your "What Would Madlib Do?" bracelet, as opposed to Madlib himself?

No, i mean both...