HELP!!! JOB RELATED!

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Would you commute 40mins One-way for 11.25/hour? I'm 22, fresh out of college and no family to support. I'm torn..I got another retail job making 9.25$ but I'll be working only 25mins away...What would you do?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Seems like a decent raise for not that much of an increase for your commute. Forty minutes seems pretty commonplace, maybe even on the low end in many large cities. I'd base my decision on the job/work itself. Which do you think you'll like better? Or which will be more fruitful in the long run?

• Depends if the job is worth it. I wouldn't even accept a job paying that much.

• BTW, price it out. Will the extra money be eaten up by extra commute/transportation costs. Do you have to deal with traffic? Does one job effect your quality of life more than the other?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    take the 45 min commute!
    you can catch up on your listening, and blaze up.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Given how crazy gas prices are getting, I'd say try to find something closer to home. If both of these are working retail, there aren't opportunities for retail work/waiting tables closer to where you're at? Both of those sound like long-ish commutes for retail.

Also, factor that commute into your day time-wise ... on a bad traffic day, you could be looking at 10 hours of your day getting eaten up by work/commute, which can be stressful and/or deadening, especially w/ retail.

• Would you commute 40mins One-way for 11.25/hour? I'm 22, fresh out of college and no family to support. I'm torn..

I got another retail job making 9.25$ but I'll be working only 25mins away...

What would you do?

man,fresh out of college and like so many I;ve known. We' all had to work retail.
    take the 11.25

• Good looking for the replies....

and the retail places definitely vary in status...

11.25/45min Commute - App*e Store.

9.25/25Min Commute - Best Buy

Best Buy is a mad shady company. I would never work for them. Apple store all the way.

Best Buy is a mad shady company. I would never work for them. Apple store all the way.

I've been hearing that all over the place online... anyone else care to drop thier opinion on the 2 commutes?

• 45 minutes sounds about right if in a city. I work for D*sney and I live in Jersey. The offices were located in Union Square but two months ago they moved to White Plains. Commute shot up from about 40-50 minutes to almost 3 hours each way . Needless to say I'm on my way out. It could be alot worse then 45 minutes. And alot more expensive. Metro North got you hostage.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I just turned 24 and have a decent amount of experience with good references. While I live at home, I still have bills to pay, mostly car payment and insurance related. I guess not having my own place as an adult is NAGL to some, but rent is high in the L.A. area, even for shitholes in the Valley. I'm not willing to go the Craigslist roommate route, either. I get to do my own thing providing that I pull my weight around the house, so I don't care. Anyhow, I turned down a telephone lineman job for $12/hour with benefirs on Monday after a test-drive to get a feel for it. Very conservative supervisors, ultra-anal big brother tactics in full effect, being on the road for 3 hours a day, zero tolerance for any margin of error...I didn't have a good feeling about it. So now I have an interview for a gym equipment installation company tomorrow which pays a little less but still has benefits and requires little driving with the exception of paid travel with company vehicles. I also applied for a job at Borders and the drum section of Guitar Center, both about 15 miles away in a well-to-do area of town.

I don't really have any advice to give, but I guess my point is that it's better to accept a slighly lower paying job that's convenient, travelwise and workwise, and adjust your extra pocket spending accordingly than put up with a tedious job that requires a long commute. Good luck!