There Will Be Blood

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Saw it yesterday. Total must see. Even if you're not a fan of PT Anderson you should see this. Totally unlike anything he's done before. Really starts to form his own style unlike Boogie Nights and Magnolia which borrowed way too much from the Scorsese playbook. Even at 2.5 hours it left me wanting more.

Comments

• i like the poster

• what's this all about? i love daniel day lewis. there are a lot of movies out i want to see right now it's crazy. even that new coen bros flick actually looks pretty straight for a coen flick from the trailer, like it could be on a blood simple level. i started reading a book by the dude who wrote this book, my friend said it will be a bloodbath but i am a sucker for cat-n-mouse thrillers

• I rides for Daniel Day Lewis. Mohicans is a modern-day CLASSIC.

• what's this all about?

A lot of the descriptions don't do the film justice. It's basically about the ascent of a oil tycoon and his lust for power and paranoia that comes along with it. It also deals a lot with guilt and greed. I know that sounds extremely vague but it's hard to give anymore details without spoiling certain plot points.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    what's this all about?

A lot of the descriptions don't do the film justice. It's basically about the ascent of a oil tycoon and his lust for power and paranoia that comes along with it. It also deals a lot with guilt and greed. I know that sounds extremely vague but it's hard to give anymore details without spoiling certain plot points.

I know there's the whole oil = blood analogy, but the title and poster seem a bit overboard (and this is based on not knowing what the movie is specifically about). Poster makes the movie look like some hardcore vampire flick.

• what's this all about?

I know there's the whole oil = blood analogy, but the title and poster seem a bit overboard (and this is based on not knowing what the movie is specifically about). Poster makes the movie look like some hardcore vampire flick.

see i would think its has some sort of churchy angle to it as well. i dont know why. i guess blood and books remind me of christians.

am i right tho?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Total must see. Even if you're not a fan of PT Anderson you should see this. Totally unlike anything he's done before. Really starts to form his own style unlike Boogie Nights and Magnolia which borrowed way too much from the Scorsese playbook. Even at 2.5 hours it left me wanting more.

Yeah I'm pretty hyped to see this too and I agree I like his early films but I thought he really showed he had some originality when he did Punch Drunk Love. That was a great movie. "Sorry, I beat up your bathroom". My friend worked on the new one down in Marfa. He said it's going to be bad ass (in his words). I won't let him tell me what he knows about movies though, I'm very anti-spoiler, I've barely even seen the trailer for this and the new Coen Bros.

DDL said he retired, but I guess he wanted to work with PTA.
    Kinda like Natalie Portman said she wouldn't get nude but she did for WA.

• I know there's the whole oil = blood analogy, but the title and poster seem a bit overboard (and this is based on not knowing what the movie is specifically about). Poster makes the movie look like some hardcore vampire flick.

yeah i thought that about the title too. it actually sounded that it could be a Battle Royale type movie to me at first.

and didn't DDL disappear for a few years to be a cobbler in italy or something? i could have sworn him and scorsese were on charlie rose and he giggled when rose asked him that but never answered the question.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    That looks awesome, I'll ride for PT any day. I dug all his movies even Magnolia, which
    most folks I know hated.
    The preacher kid is the main character from L.I.E., another superb flick IMO.

• he giggled

seldom a good look.

• he giggled

seldom a good look.

ha! i said giggled when i meant chuckled.

or maybe i meant guffaw

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am excited to see this too.

It's based on an Upton Sinclair novel, so I guess I can't pass up the Upton-P.T. combo. Sure the dude is a little derivative (P.T.) but he still makes pretty solid movies that are better than a lot of stuff out there.

I am hoping to see the Coen Bros. flick this weekend. I, too, will be spending a great amount of time at the movies in the coming weeks/months.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    This and the new Coen Brothers movie were both shot in Marfa, Texas.

The weird little art town in the middle of nowhere where Giant was also shot.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I remember reading about that in the Sunday New York Times a few months ago. You stay nearby?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Nah. I'm in Houston. I just have been out there a number of times. Cool little town.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Saw this (No Country for Old Men) this morning and it was very enjoyable. Perhaps a little too faithful to certain parts of the Cormac McCarthy novel; there's some ponderous speechifying that slows this down at times, and a few crucial pieces of action are implied rather than shown, feeling a little odd and anticlimatic.

That said, it's the closest thing they've done to a Blood Simple or Miller's Crossing in years, with plenty of suspense, blood, and grim humor.

Eager to see There Will Be Blood as well. As someone else said, I liked Hard 8, Boogie Nights, and the first half of Magnolia (remember thinking the second half off that one was some pungent-ass dookie, but I agree that they felt like this young filmmaker "doing" Scorsese and Altman... whereas Punch-Drunk Love, even if it showed little flashes of Tati here and there, felt wholly original. Hoping this continues that trend.