So people really didn't enjoy the American Gangste

AreDoubleAreDouble 124 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
r flick? That one review lost me when it referenced the Manchurian Candidate remake as a "good movie."I AG quite a bit and while I'm certain there's a huge amount of creative liscense and I do think the films didn't spend a huge amount of time developing the characters, it didn't need to spend an inordinate amount given the storyline. . . And I don't think the story was weak. Song selectiona and score were pretty good.Maybe my lowered expectations for mainstream films allows this sort of pleasant surprise.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ill wait for the American Ganster Air Force 1s this summer................

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I thought it was enjoyable, but it could have been shortened by about 30-45 minutes. It dragged on in places.

• i started reading a paperback adaptation that i picked upto read on a flight this weekend. horrible, horrible writing. sounds like an interesting story but i hope the movie is better.

• I'm just glad they put a white dude in a major role so I can relate to the movie when I go see it. Wish he was American but hey what can you do.

I'm just glad they put a white dude in a major role so I can relate to the movie when I go see it. Wish he was American but hey what can you do.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I thought it was just an OK flick. There was too much "Oscar" buzz on this, that when I finally watched it, I was kinda let down.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of so many films having the "Crime Doesn't Pay" deal at the end and I just want a film where the so called "bad guy" wins.

• Agree on it be just OK. I thought it was slow and scattered, especially during the first hour. Scenes and characters just seemed so separate from one another.

• i liked it quite a bit, and actually felt that the end came too fast, too big of a character switch too quickly.

i think "oscar buzz" around movies like this and maybe MICHAEL CLAYTON and SIDEWAYS in recent years has to do with the fact that there really do seem to be a dearth of grown people films, so that the ones that do come out receive more hype than they deserve simply for tackling (though maybe just exploiting) more adult-oriented issues.

• favorite part by far was seeing Anthony Hamilton (musta been him) singing over straight funk. he should try that more often.

otherwise, movie seemed pretty tv-esque. not bad, but predictable and kinda stale.

• Scenes and characters just seemed so separate from one another.

I feel exactly the same. I saw a (very high quality) bootleg of it and for a while there I thought the chapters were playing out of order.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    favorite part by far was seeing Anthony Hamilton (musta been him) singing over straight funk. he should try that more often.
    ??? he basically does this

i thought the movie was good but yeah the slate review is negative but totally on point