Hugo The Hippo (70s Cartoon Strut)

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
this is for the old strutters.... i just found this soundtrack over the weekend, pretty funky actually, but my question is about the actual cartoon. who remembers this joint? seeing the record brought back those wierd obscure memories about this cartoon and i don't remember enough about it. does anyone know why they stopped showing it? i haven't heard about it since the 70s so there is probably some PC issue that stopped it from being aired. any idears?

Comments

• I ain't never heard a-no Hugo the Hippo, but as far as this:

does anyone know why they stopped showing it? i haven't heard about it since the 70s so there is probably some PC issue that stopped it from being aired. any idears?

Most cartoon shows only last a year anyway (any more than that and it's usually reruns of the first on their second go-round), so I doubt if it's some kind of PC issue.

does anyone know why they stopped showing it? i haven't heard about it since the 70s so there is probably some PC issue that stopped it from being aired. any idears?

Most cartoon shows only last a year anyway (any more than that and it's usually reruns of the first on their second go-round), so I doubt if it's some kind of PC issue.

nah, it wasn't a series, it was a 77 minute cartoon movie that was produced in hungary and was set in india, i think.....

• pretty racy stuff.

nah, it wasn't a series, it was a 77 minute cartoon movie that was produced in hungary and was set in india, i think.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_the_Hippo

yep - I totally remember growing up with this. Had the book as a kid and found the soundtrack a while back. Who knew the Osmonds could be funky? I know I sampled some drums off of that for a beat I did way back, I'll see if I can dig it up.

But yeah, I think the portrayal of the Indians was probably not very PC, even though it had a very strong pro-environment/anti-hunting message.