Seattle. Where's the soul 45s?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm DJing an early evening set at this event in Seattle this weekend:http://www.emeraldcitysoulclub.com/weekender/I'll probably hit up Jive Time (and that antique mall across the way), and the event itself has a 45 swap on Sunday. But are there any other spots nearby I should check out for decent 60s-70s soul/funk/garage 45s? I wasn't planning on visiting Portland but if the weather isn't good for outdoor stuff on Thu/Fri, then I might make the 6-hour roundtrip and check out Crossroads. And of course if anybody wants to link up, I'd be down for a drink or whatever if we can make time. Hollereth.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Seattle has been pretty heavily "dug". There are tons of places to look for records but it's really a crap shoot on when you are going to find something good. A lot fo the good stuff is in provite collections that you really need to be running ads as a dealer to locate.

• Hit up Bop Street in Ballard. That's where it's at.

And yeah, Crossroads is super dope but probably not worth the 6 hour round trip.

Instead spend those 6 hours at Bop Street. I promise you can use them. Dude has 650,000 records. Unfortunately, he pretty much knows what they're worth but you can still barter with him.

• i was there over the weekend and forgot to hit up bop street! jive time had a few good joints but no 45s. the antique mall yeilded a fat NOTHING unless there was a secret stack in the downstairs part that we didn't bother to check.

• I'm DJing an early evening set at this event in Seattle this weekend:

http://www.emeraldcitysoulclub.com/weekender/

I'll probably hit up Jive Time (and that antique mall across the way), and the event itself has a 45 swap on Sunday. But are there any other spots nearby I should check out for decent 60s-70s soul/funk/garage 45s?

I wasn't planning on visiting Portland but if the weather isn't good for outdoor stuff on Thu/Fri, then I might make the 6-hour roundtrip and check out Crossroads.

And of course if anybody wants to link up, I'd be down for a drink or whatever if we can make time. Hollereth.

i think the best 45s in the area will obvs be broght by the DJs and spun at the event itself, but maybe some of those DJs will bring extras for trade/selling purposes, esp for sunday's 45 fair...i say this bc it expresses my own hopes as i'll be there spinning too, spinning right before you, in fact, on friday night.

then again, i've never been to seattle before, so i'm more intrigued by the prospects of the city itself than what its record stores might have to offer.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Pretty much cosign what everybody else has said so far:

no 45's at Jive Time & the antique mall across the street is kinda weak imo

the fremont flea market yields decent soul/gospel 45s sometimes

Bop Street is your best bet. That and the big show on the weekend for sure.

You may be able to find some 45's at

Golden Oldies in Wallingford on 45th
    Singles Going Steady downtown
    Holy Cow Records in the pike place market
    Easy Street in Queen Anne
    Tacoma
    Olympia

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Holy shit? I had no idea The BoS were still together or even still around. Is this show being recorded? Please tell me yes...

• Pretty sure there's a write up about the connection with the BoS in the new Wax Poe.

• This is kinda bizzare. Seattle is kinda wack city for soul 45's but I'll come check out the shows. Hopefully the out of towners bring the heatery. Bop St is the only worthwhile spot for 45's right now.

• Thanks for all the advice everybody - I'm actually not planning on doing that much digging (and in fact have a hike planned all day Friday right before my DJ set if the weather isn't too severe), but it's good to have the options you guys mentioned.

I just want to avoid the huge store that has 10's of thousands of LPs in their bins (all crap), even more in their backroom (mostly crap), and a huge wall of 45 boxes (all overpriced crap) - does this ring a bell? I really don't want to go back to this spot - $15 Dyke & the Blazers 45s aren't my idea of an ideal afternoon digging. Any help in avoiding it would be appreciated.

Johnshade - cool to see you here man! We'll have a beer on Friday.

In any event, like a lot of you I'm counting on the Sunday 45 swap to be the best opportunity for the best wax. When I've gone to similar swaps at weekenders in Chicago, NYC and even here in NC, the selection and prices have murdered any of the local spots' offerings.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I just want to avoid the huge store that has 10's of thousands of LPs in their bins (all crap), even more in their backroom (mostly crap), and a huge wall of 45 boxes (all overpriced crap) - does this ring a bell? I really don't want to go back to this spot - $15 Dyke & the Blazers 45s aren't my idea of an ideal afternoon digging. Any help in avoiding it would be appreciated.

That's Bop St., the other folks were right that's the only spot with a remote possibility of finding any
    soul 45's.

I can give you to directions to Supreme's condo, that's your best bet to find any raer soul 45's in Seattle.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

This place was depressing if its the one I'm thinking of - at least 45-wise (the kind of spot that still has tons of old stock w/divider cards & everything but anything at all good is long gone)

The store I have the fondest memories of closed a while back (I think I read that on here anyway) - it had 'jam' in the name, cool nutty guy ran it...

• I just want to avoid the huge store that has 10's of thousands of LPs in their bins (all crap), even more in their backroom (mostly crap), and a huge wall of 45 boxes (all overpriced crap) - does this ring a bell? I really don't want to go back to this spot - $15 Dyke & the Blazers 45s aren't my idea of an ideal afternoon digging. Any help in avoiding it would be appreciated.

That's Bop St., the other folks were right that's the only spot with a remote possibility of finding any
    soul 45's.

that's funny. i've heard a lot of people have that opinion of the place. i've had pretty decent experiences picking up stuff there (not necessarily 45s) but i hear ya that the prices can be steep. like i said before though, i've had good luck bartering with him.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Bop st.???? That TWEAKER can eat a wee wee!

• I just want to avoid the huge store that has 10's of thousands of LPs in their bins (all crap), even more in their backroom (mostly crap), and a huge wall of 45 boxes (all overpriced crap) - does this ring a bell? I really don't want to go back to this spot - $15 Dyke & the Blazers 45s aren't my idea of an ideal afternoon digging. Any help in avoiding it would be appreciated.

soul 45's.

that's funny. i've heard a lot of people have that opinion of the place. i've had pretty decent experiences picking up stuff there (not necessarily 45s) but i hear ya that the prices can be steep. like i said before though, i've had good luck bartering with him.

Ehhhh if that IS Bop Street, I'll pass. When I was in the city about 5 years ago, I spent about an hour in there and got nothing except severely depressed.

Other than Crossroads in Portland, Jive Time was by far the best spot I hit in that area. As mentioned, they had almost no 45s, but their album selection was really good and the prices more than fair.

I highly recommend that any Strutters with good 45s to trade/sell come on out to the record swap. The ModChicago swap always has attendees like Pickwick33, luck, meatyogre, DCastillo, etc. and it's always fun as well as rich with top vinyl. I'm hoping this weekender will bring ya'll Seattle strutters out!

This place was depressing if its the one I'm thinking of - at least 45-wise (the kind of spot that still has tons of old stock w/divider cards & everything but anything at all good is long gone)

The store I have the fondest memories of closed a while back (I think I read that on here anyway) - it had 'jam' in the name, cool nutty guy ran it...

Jam Records was the name and dude was a nut, Jimmy Jam from Buffalo,as he was known around town.
    Dude was a serious Ebay-aphobe, he thought every record you'd pull was going on Ebay.
    "I better not see this on Ebay" he'd always say.

My thoughts exactly!
    Did you ever see the copy of Wax Po that they had at Respect Records, that Dave from
    Bop Street defaced?
    Shit was funny D!
    He only hit up your mug, wrote "asshole" over your face etc etc...

• Jam Records was the name and dude was a nut, Jimmy Jam from Buffalo,as he was known around town.

Ha! Here's me at Jam Records around 2002 or so with Joey Jam:

I think I already owned that record I'm holding, and I didn't leave with anything. But yeah that Jimmy dude was aight. I think we talked about tripledouble T*ny that visit.

My thoughts exactly!
    Did you ever see the copy of Wax Po that they had at Respect Records, that Dave from
    Bop Street defaced?
    Shit was funny D!
    He only hit up your mug, wrote "asshole" over your face etc etc...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heard about that. Wish I had seen it.

• i'd like to reiterate the fact that anyone in the area really should consider checking out at least some part of the event. it goes on all weekend and looks to be the biggest and most ambitious event of its kind in the states this year. http://www.emeraldcitysoulclub.com/weekender/

while the DJs should surely be mad decent, the real treat will be seeing the live acts - jj barnes and brothers of soul - on stage performing live with a full band and a full orchestra on saturday night.

i'd like to reiterate the fact that anyone in the area really should consider checking out at least some part of the event. it goes on all weekend and looks to be the biggest and most ambitious event of its kind in the states this year. http://www.emeraldcitysoulclub.com/weekender/

while the DJs should surely be mad decent, the real treat will be seeing the live acts - jj barnes and brothers of soul - on stage performing live with a full band and a full orchestra on saturday night.

It's sounds great, I'm gonna try my best to check out some part of it.
    No hate here but today I was checking out the ad in the Stranger, and there were no
    show times or locations. I know it said Lo-Fi and CHAC were the venues, but no specifics,
    Show times, prices per show etc etc.
    Killer poster though!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Tacoma

• i'll try'n catch the friday nighter, my saturday is unfortunately slammed, and i definately hope to make sunday's event.

• Is it a one time fee of $65 for everything or can you do certain things for less money? Is it possible to just go to the swap meet?

• Check the link in my original post - hopefully everything is explained there.

• Check the link in my original post - hopefully everything is explained there.

ah, probably should've done that from the get go. Thanks.

I heard the record swap was moved to tonight? Any word on that???? Please let us know how last night went, I had to dj a previous engagement. I was asked to come out with Ron Buford over there but the Light in the Attic guys did all that as I couldn't make it.

• I heard the record swap was moved to tonight? Any word on that???? Please let us know how last night went, I had to dj a previous engagement. I was asked to come out with Ron Buford over there but the Light in the Attic guys did all that as I couldn't make it.

Let me know son. Wanted to try and catch that record show.

• Jimmy Jam from Buffalo

I loved this dude!

• what happened?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    in town next week with my fam to visit fam. first time!  looks like bop street closed.  any suggestions for used records these days.  i love to dig through old hiphop and funk/soul, but am also up for anything.  i feel like there must be a lot of thrift stores in seattle...  

the pharcyde, the roots, the jungle brothers AND sergio mendes are all playing live at various points next week.  what the actual fuck?  is this a rare stretch for the city or am i just totally starved for culture??