Native Tongues - Documentary? Book?

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
So I've been on a big Jungle Brothers, Tribe, De La trip recently, listening to all their classic albums like I haven't done in a while. I was just wondering if the whole Native Tongues thing has been documented in any way. I've read things in interviews about beefs and fallouts between the members and there's some hints on the records here and there, but I've never really understood exactly what went down. Or if there aren't any "The rise and fall of bla bla bla" type things around, anyone got links to some good interviews with the dudes where they talk about it?I trust in the Soulstrut Crazy Wisdom Masters.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There was a recent article in one of these Hip Hop mags where they sat down w/ the three groups who had seen each other for like 7 years. Vibe? Maybe last year.

I was checkin one of my old Complex magazines and they listed the 10 Native Toungue Albums u must own.

I cant find/remember the list but when i do we'll debate.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    There was a recent article in one of these Hip Hop mags where they sat down w/ the three groups who had seen each other for like 7 years. Vibe? Maybe last year.

I was checkin one of my old Complex magazines and they listed the 10 Native Toungue Albums u must own.

I cant find/remember the list but when i do we'll debate.

Vibe's History of Hiphop book details some of it.

Im kinda sick of hearing about Tribe/DeLa/JBs.

Id like to read/hear about all the sattilites who were influenced, but not the PM Dawns.

Beatnuts.....
    Monie Love - Afrika Baby Bam production
    Chi-Ali......
    Black Sheep
    Main Source - Affiliated
    Brand Nubian - Affiliated
    Queen Latifah......

The UMC's who werent affiliated but kept the "sound" alive.
    Divine Styler who was supposed to appear on a Tribe/JB joint.

• I've always thought a history on KMD/Kurious/Constipate Monkeys would be a more interesting read. There seemed to be so much tragedy and intrigue around them, and missed opportunities, that it would make a more interesting saga.

Add to that the fact that MF Doom, your thoughts on his current catalog aside, probably has a greater impact on hip hop CURRENTLY than any Native Tongues group, and I think there is a further impetus for this read.

I've always thought a history on KMD/Kurious/Constipate Monkeys would be a more interesting read. There seemed to be so much tragedy and intrigue around them, and missed opportunities, that it would make a more interesting saga.

Add to that the fact that MF Doom, your thoughts on his current catalog aside, probably has a greater impact on hip hop CURRENTLY than any Native Tongues group, and I think there is a further impetus for this read.

Yeah add those 3 groups on as well.

I wouldnt place MF Doom's work along side the Native Toungues sound. KMD yes but not Doom

• Agreed...MF Doom's resurgence is a seperate thread of the story, but the sound is not in line.

But, the years between the end of KMD and his re-emergence as Metal Face are part of the story, and probably explains some of the change in his sound.

But, the years between the end of KMD and his re-emergence as Metal Face are part of the story, and probably explains some of the change in his sound.

A very small part of the "story". What he did during the "lost years" isnt as important IMO as the stories of the other cats who remained w/ "that NT-Sound".

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I remember Pos speaking on the issues between De La and Tribe in several interviews and honestly I don't remember the details very well, which makes me think there actually wasn't much of a story there. I don't mean that the story of Native Tongues wouldn't make an interesting book/doc/Wax Po article (and I'm sure all three will happen sooner or later), I just mean that the specific issues between Pos and Tip seemed like boring interpersonal issues more than anything else.

To the best of my recollection, the De La camp basically seemed to have a lot more invested in the Native Tongue concept and kept trying to revive it with each album, whereas after the initial releases Tribe didn't seem very interested. I do specifically remember in '96 Pos saying "this is going to be another Native Tongue summer" (along with dropping the "the Native Tongues have officially been reinstated" line on Stakes Is High)... and soon thereafter Q-Tip saying something like, "well, if Pos says it's been reinstated it has, ask him about that" and basically sounding like he didn't care one way or another.