Your Input is Appreciated! (CD cover poll related)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I'm working on a cover for a local bollywood cover band and we're almost there, designwise. These four options are very similar, but I'd be interested to see which one of these covers ya'll like the most. Holler.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, they're all cool, but do you think you could add a touch of:

Seriously, I think I prefer the top one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The white "Mastana" is a must no mater what you go with, that black doesn't jump.
    But this is my fave, and it all loks great. I need to have you do a flyer for our Wed nite!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Definitely the third one.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

Sho' nuff

• I vote for the first one.

By the way, does anyone know what that bollywood website is that had pictures of the Composers and their albums? I can't find it.

Thanks

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Put this up in the mizzix

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

Put this up in the mizzix

I AGREE.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I vote for no. 1 but w/ the "Project Mastana" type treatment and flower burst from #2. Or for # 2 w/ the building from #1 instead of the Taj(?). They are all awesome though!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

this cover has the best color displacement, and its easier to read (ie the yellow text and blue people work well). However, I would like to see the slogan: 'bollywood and beyond'.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    The first one.

• The blue in the 4th one and the red in the 1st one look great. 2 & 3 don't have enough contrast in the colors, it all runs together too much without anything popping. Overall I like #4 the best but I would try it with the circle and burst from the first one. Hope that helps.

nice work.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    #4 looks dope

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

the first one!

h

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    1 and 4:

#1 says "Obscure heat!"

#4 says "Bangin!"

also i prefer "backroads to bollywood".

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I like #3, but you good anyway you go, hommie. Nice work.

• Number Three...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    jeez. tough call. i pick this one, but i like "Bollywood and Beyond"...and i like the straight treatment of it, not feelin the angled text.

all look nice though.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I like #4, but you good anyway you go, hommie. Nice work.

• Number 3 is the best, color and layout-wise. Nice work mang!

I'd recommend changing the type size and layout of the BACKROADS TO BOLLYWOOD text at the bottom, as the word "bollywood" is really competing for airtime with "mastana." Since both of those words are calling for my attention at the same time at the same size and volume, I don't know which to look at first and the whole hierarchy is thrown off. If just "mastana" were big, I'd see it as more of the header it should be and the composition would flow really nicely. Mad flavor... heavy flow.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Thanks for the input & compliments, guys. I was hoping we'd see a clear winner, but so far the votes have been split fairly evenly:

OPTION #1 - 6 votes
    OPTION #2 - 0 votes
    OPTION #3 - 7 votes
    OPTION #4 - 8 votes

Which is interesting - the band and their "focus group" of friends and designers pretty much had settled on option #1 with some minor tweaks. Personally I like #3 & #4 the best, because of the textures and the "vintage postcard" look of the dancers. We'll probably replace the Taj Mahal with another building because it's a bit too obvious for an Indian theme.

I'm gonna forward this thread to the band so they can see your comments. Thanks again and here's a look at the original photo I took of the dancers (they're not officially part of the band, but usually accompany them onstage):

BTW the girl in orange in the center, Kriti, went to India last year and picked up some records for me, hooking me up for $5/each:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm divided between 3 and 4.

Though I would like to see the album title text straightened out

Lookin good though, M**k

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    three