Amy Winehouse....again

13»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I am intrigued by this....

conspiracy to pervert the course of justice[/b]

As I heard it, it involves her husband and a friend of his beating up some bar manager who was set to act as a witness in a court case where a friend of theirs had been charged with assault. Guy could get some proper time if he's found guilty.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I mean, just think if you were in the band, what would you be thinking?

There's sure to be some Dap-Kings tell-all down the line

As to a previous post: Winehouse might be a "major generational talent" (that seems way too generous but whatever) but she's majorily Frickin' up that talent and squandering it on some bulllllshit.

• I mean, just think if you were in the band, what would you be thinking?

There's sure to be some Dap-Kings tell-all down the line

That would be an interesting read.

"major generational talent" (that seems way too generous but whatever)

OK, since two people have now called me on this, can I draw everyone's attention to the qualifier "potentially", which I think is a fair assessment of someone who's in her early 20's and has sold three million copies of her second album.

OK, since two people have now called me on this, can I draw everyone's attention to the qualifier "potentially", which I think is a fair assessment of someone who's in her early 20's and has sold three million copies of her second album.

Age + sales do not a "major generational talent" make.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

In her case youth + success does = good potential though. Then again, I thought that about Joss Stone.

I'd say it amounts to potential, though. "Potentially one of the major talents of her generation" was what I wrote and, assuming she can clean up and get her shit together, I see no reason why she couldn't make a better record than "Back To Black" and sell six million copies next time out.

• B-b-but wait, it gets worse...

I've stuck up for her in many of the previous Winehouse threads, and I still do believe her to be potentially one of the major talents of her generation, but on this evidence, girl is truly lost.

she's not doing a line in this clip, she's just wiping the snot and boogers from her nose with her blouse sleeve.

LEAVE AMY ALONE

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Does this belong in the white women are lazy thread?

• Options
    B-b-but wait, it gets worse...

I've stuck up for her in many of the previous Winehouse threads, and I still do believe her to be potentially one of the major talents of her generation, but on this evidence, girl is truly lost.

she's not doing a line in this clip, she's just wiping the snot and boogers from her nose with her blouse sleeve.

LEAVE AMY ALONE

I know, what'd people think she pulled some coke out her Captain Caveman hair in the middle of a song? That'd be an unprecedented level of multitasking. Although, you COULD probably shake some dandruff out that mess and get lifted off it somehow.

I'd say it amounts to potential, though. "Potentially one of the major talents of her generation" was what I wrote and, assuming she can clean up and get her shit together, I see no reason why she couldn't make a better record than "Back To Black" and sell six million copies next time out.

Any artist has the potential to be a major generational talent. My daughter has the potential, since potential doesn't require anything except for, well, potential.

I just think Winehouse is the beneficiary of one, fluke hit of an album - an album I like, mind you - but to me, what limits her isn't her talent but the fact that she's a Frickin' trainwreck. Please see: Lauryn Hill for another example.

I also doubt that you'd see a 6 million seller out of Winehouse for any future album given the downward trends in album sales. I'd be surprised if the next Winehouse album manages to equal the sales of this one but then again, the way she's going, any "next" Winehouse album might be an accomplishment in and of itself.

I think Winehouse is an interesting songwriter and unlike others, I actually do like her voice. I'd be curious to see how she'd sound without Ronson and the Dap-Kings however.

• Age + sales do not a "major generational talent" make.

I am saying.

Britney's "talent" as a singer is laughable but as a marketable icon (upon until, well, you know, recently), it's hard to deny that she's as "generational" an icon as you could hope for. In contrast, if Winehouse disappeared tomorrow, no one would remember her (in this country at least) by next year.

• Britney's "talent" as a singer is laughable but as a marketable icon (upon until, well, you know, recently), it's hard to deny that she's as "generational" an icon as you could hope for. In contrast, if Winehouse disappeared tomorrow, no one would remember her (in this country at least) by next year.

generational icon? sure. generational talent? never that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The song dedicated to her husband was so bad it was like swinging a cat round your head[/b]."

Lest this gem be lost in the maelstrom that is Soulstrut's analysis of the Winehouse phenomenon.

• The song dedicated to her husband was so bad it was like swinging a cat round your head[/b]."

Lest this gem be lost in the maelstrom that is Soulstrut's analysis of the Winehouse phenomenon.

Not to mention, that once, maybe 15-17 years ago I saw a hardcore/performance art band called Psychodrama, that actually swung a dead cat around during their show, along with inserting (and un-inserting) a pickle in the singers butt, and tossing it, along with urine soaked LP covers and lit firecrackers into the crowd.

I still like Amy Winehouse though...

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    nice